Do expats need a relationship to be happy here?

JJGreen

13 hours ago, The manic said:

The whole point is not needing a relationship here in LOS- you can have a different chick every night. Codependancy is not needed or any kind of inedequacy based relationships here. no bickering- sulking- arguing- no sexual boredom- no love crap  dependancy. If some people carry their emotional baggage with them when they live in Thailand they have lost  a lot of opportunities.

13 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Well, the same chick is guaranteed to get old after a while unfortunately. 

I think many foreigners lived sheltered sex free lives as young adults in their home country and then come here to try and catch up. Sex with different women all the time is unrewarding in my honest opinion. I did that all through late high school and college and even some time after college. VJJ is boring. Its the same and while I have never "rented" a girl the only fun I enjoyed was the challenge of meeting and shacking up for the one night stand. If you rent it that would be way to easy which makes it even more boring and unstimulating. 

As to Gulfsailors point, sex always gets old whether with a different gal or the same one. Having done both I much prefer a monogamous relationship as it is WAY deeper than a few rounds in the sheets. Sex draws men in but will not keep them around. Personally there has to be a lot more substance in my life.  

Answering the OP question, YES. Think about it. Renting a gal or being in a monogamous relationship are relationships in different ways. Maybe the question would be "Do expats need to have sex all the time to be happy here?"

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Fabricus said:

I never did a French exam.

Let me expand: there are generally three ways in to Oxford --

1. Qualifications. Typically you needed three "A" levels, all at grade A

2. The Oxbridge entrance exams

3. The interview

I don't know how things work these days, but I never did a French exam.   

There may well be exceptions. In my day, this was a rule becauses I used to practice on past papers! I have two good friends who are GPs, one didn't take the exam as he passed his Latin exams and she didn't take the exam as she got an A in French.

I'm sure you're familiar with Oscar Wilde and his peers at Oxford, so you'll know that nearly all their correspondence was in French, not English. 

15 hours ago, meom said:

I already struggle to get it up for the 2nd round after 20 minutes.

Every night would be torture.

Thanks for your humour. You made me smile this morning. Like the Kenny Roger's song said, "It takes you all night to do what you used to do all night...."

3 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

The idea that all farang women are fat angry hags is  transparently false to anyone but the deluded, as is the idea that all Thai women are stunningly beautiful icons of femininity. One wonders whether these guys seriously believe this stuff.

Certainly helps with the ego over a beer with their mates ?

What if your true love has an accident, and is facially disfigured? 

I don't believe that I'd throw them out if I liked them before the accident. And as we all get older we lose our looks ... so there has to be more than looks to keep people together, in my opinion.

53 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

Beauty in the eye of the beholder...there is no wrong or right 

Does a beautiful partner increase your happiness?

Sure, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But anyone who thinks all farang women are fat and ugly, or all Thai women are slim and beautiful, isn't beholding things properly.

1 minute ago, transam said:

But we mostly do not remain beautiful, well very few and me, we all change as we age, fact of life..

The massage girls I pass in the Soi tell me I'm a velly hansum man ... me and the 85 year old guy walking behind me ... so it must be true.

14 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Of course beauty is what you want it to be . To me a beautiful partner is half the battle ! Can you imagine being happy with someone you are not attracted to ? 

That comes down to what an individual finds attractive...physical beauty might be only one part of it

32 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Sure, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But anyone who thinks all farang women are fat and ugly, or all Thai women are slim and beautiful, isn't beholding things properly.

Guys with attitudes like that have typically been rejected by numerous women or burnt badly.

Never their fault of course 

Being single is better than being in a bad relationship.

Being in a good relationship is better than being single.

Being single when you are old, sick, don't speak the language in a foreign country, especially in those last days, doesn't sound very appealing.

On 18/08/2016 at 0:32 PM, KarenBravo said:

Being single is better than being in a bad relationship.

Being in a good relationship is better than being single.

Being single when you are old, sick, don't speak the language in a foreign country, especially in those last days, doesn't sound very appealing.

Would you want to be miserable in your last few years just for the sake of company?

Hire a maid or nurse assistant

Edited by JJGreen

I for one could never go through a day without being able to talk with the person i was living with.  About everything, without havîng to talk baby language.

You good, good, you good, good.  Googoogoogychoo.

How was that last James Patterson book you read?  Goo, with a lovely braces on the teeth smile.

Enjoy, cos it could get worse.

Those Western women and their roast dinners etc. that you fought so much to get away from - they may be beckoning-

11 minutes ago, Patsycat said:

I for one could never go through a day without being able to talk with the person i was living with.  About everything, without havîng to talk baby language.

You good, good, you good, good.  Googoogoogychoo.

How was that last James Patterson book you read?  Goo, with a lovely braces on the teeth smile.

Enjoy, cos it could get worse.

Those Western women and their roast dinners etc. that you fought so much to get away from - they may be beckoning-

I can't imagine living like that either.

I guess talking to your wife is not particularly high on some people's priorities.

I would never put down any women of any race.  I was making fun of the conversations that you would have with your lady friend.

But, i feel that a lot of men are just sad sacks that attack any sort of woman because they have been hurt.  And we haven't?

Women have been hurt too.  In lots of ways.  Remember that when you are putting down bar girls or Western women. 

We have all lived lives.  Women probably more than men,

5 minutes ago, Patsycat said:

Women have been hurt too.  In lots of ways.  Remember that when you are putting down bar girls or Western women. 

Guys that moan and bitch, putting all women in one bucket, because they had a bad experience want to blame anyone but themselves.

If your mega rich and retired I'd leave out the relationship part and have a harem of playmates instead. Personally I prefer dogs. A mans best friend. Yes a man craves a women but once the hugging and kissing is over me and my dog sat watching the football is all I need. Oh and someone to wash my dirty laundry, cook for me, wash up, get the groceries, clean the house, ........

7 hours ago, transam said:

Perhaps, but a message that is on topic.....:giggle:

Perhaps and yeah remember this song well being used in philology studies when l was studying psychological to be a psychiatric social worker.

You need attention JJ Green ??  I'm curious why when you threads  are moving down the list you come back on with awful one liners such as ...."Good observation" or other weak BS to move your topic back to the top .....Mate !!

Today you pushed all ur threads to the top ....Oh dear !! I count 7 you try to 'Bump'

Edited by Testacall

12 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

If your mega rich and retired I'd leave out the relationship part and have a harem of playmates instead. Personally I prefer dogs. A mans best friend. Yes a man craves a women but once the hugging and kissing is over me and my dog sat watching the football is all I need. Oh and someone to wash my dirty laundry, cook for me, wash up, get the groceries, clean the house, ........

A dog...and a maid...and some playmates. Don't have to be too rich in Thailand for that to happen

18 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Agree entirely about dogs, but I'd also add that a cleaner (sort of...) sorts out the cleaning - whilst a washing machine deals with the laundry.  But if its not one of the cleaner's days, its necessary to hang out the washing oneself :(:lol:.

Living by ourselves, we also have to deal with the cooking and shopping.  Tiresome, but less so (personally) than having to live with someone every day and revolve our life around the things they find important.

Everyone to their own :).

What a weird view of relationships some of you have. I don't live on my own, but I still deal with cooking and shopping - because she's my wife, not my housekeeper. 

My life doesn't revolve around the things she finds important, partly because many of them are things I find important too - that's why we got married - but also because I've retained my own personality too. 

22 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

What a weird view of relationships some of you have. I don't live on my own, but I still deal with cooking and shopping - because she's my wife, not my housekeeper. 

My life doesn't revolve around the things she finds important, partly because many of them are things I find important too - that's why we got married - but also because I've retained my own personality too. 

You are both v lucky, which is why you don't understand why some of us have (eventually) decided that living on one's own is preferable.