Retiring with 16mn Baht

DUS

Yeah.. Was surprised. Seemed pretty good value for Singas

5 bottles of Heineken in a bucket was 70 bucks Sing

If I'm going to have more than 2 pints, I usually pay for the lounge (IIRC its s$48 but I bought a priority pass card with 10+2 visits so haven't had to pay for a while) & make sure I get my monies worth [emoji12]

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:01 PM, wprime said:
On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:26 AM, Ronuk said:
20 hours ago, Pdaz said:
20 hours ago, Pdaz said:
20 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Yep. Currently sitting in a bar at Changi airport. Just finishing my forth 356 baht pint of Kilkenny.. Expensive and overpriced ? Yep. But I've been at work for  6 weeks without a drink and I can afford it. The idea of living a retirement where even the simple pleasure of an imported beer is a major financial decision is not attractive at all. Glad I saved my pennies

You have gone 6 weeks without a drink and are now paying silly prices for an Irish drink that has not been within 6000 miles of Ireland.

Enjoy.

well I m very smart I think. I have condo in a high rise building with fresh air all day.
I eat all I want
I go beach every day with my scooter.
I have TV cable, Internet for free, I can even travel with Jets (low cost airline), sleep in 3 stars hotel for very cheap. drink coffee in shopping mall, ...
all these things for less 8000 bahts.
majority of people can not offer this kind of life even with 100k bahts. I m smart or you are dumb. I think I m smart . after all we are just a stomach with a mouth and a ass.

I'm sure it's been said before, and I can't be bothered to read all this thread, but how long is a piece of string. There are guys up north surviving on 10, 000 baht a month, and there are guys in BKK pissing away 100,000 baht or more. Horses for courses.  Personally, I'd say 60 - 100,000 is reasonable. Without a partner you can go lower, maybe 40-50. Which is where the experienced  English teachers live. Once you start talking about pick-ups, houses, educating kids, it's a whole different ball game - think Western saĺary.

On September 3, 2559 BE at 2:15 PM, berybert said:

You have gone 6 weeks without a drink and are now paying silly prices for an Irish drink that has not been within 6000 miles of Ireland.

Enjoy.

Yeah Kilkenny made in Malaysia.. But I could probably say the same for the Chinese, Italian, Mexican, Brazilian,Indian meal that Irish people are currently enjoying at their local restaurant. Your point is ? It's a global World and companies wish to sell to as large a market as possible. Or am I only allowed to drink Tiger beer in Singapore ? :cheesy:

Don't know why some people think it is so inexpensive to live in Thailand. There are 71 countries cheaper.

Here are the full rankings for all 112 countries surveyed by GOBankingRates, from the least expensive at No. 1 to the most expensive.

1 South Africa 29 Georgia 57 Guatemala 85 Ethiopia
2 India 30 Brazil 58 Brunei 86 Australia
3 Kosovo 31 Turkey 59 Canada 87 Luxembourg
4 Saudi Arabia 32 Estonia 60 Ecuador 88 Costa Rica
5 Kazakhstan 33 Spain 61 Sweden 89 United Kingdom
6 Zambia 34 Tunisia 62 Bahrain 90 New Zealand
7 Oman 35 Germany 63 Sri Lanka 91 Dominican Republic
8 Paraguay 36 Slovenia 64 Austria 92 Qatar
9 Czech Republic 37 Syria 65 Finland 93 Myanmar
10 Macedonia 38 Hungary 66 Iran 94 Belgium
11 Bosnia & Herzegovina 39 Russia 67 Vietnam 95 Tanzania
12 Poland 40 Bangladesh 68 Ireland 96 Lebanon
13 Colombia 41 Philippines 69 Uzbekistan 97 Cambodia
14 Pakistan 42 Armenia 70 Jordan 98 Jamaica
15 Moldova 43 Egypt 71 Netherlands 99 South Korea
16 Chile 44 Portugal 72 Thailand 100 Maldives
17 Malaysia 45 Latvia 73 Denmark 101 Panama
18 Serbia 46 Morocco 74 China 102 Japan
19 Greece 47 Croatia 75 Italy 103 Mongolia
20 Bulgaria 48 Lithuania 76 Iraq 104 Singapore
21 Romania 49 Peru 77 Uruguay 105 Kuwait
22 Mexico 50 Belarus 78 France 106 Iceland
23 Azerbaijan 51 Taiwan 79 Kenya 107 Norway
24 Ukraine 52 Cyprus 80 United Arab Emirates 108 Ghana
25 Algeria 53 Namibia 81 Zimbabwe 109 Switzerland
26 Montenegro 54 Slovakia 82 Israel 110 Hong Kong
27 Albania 55 El Salvador 83 United States 111 Bahamas
28 Nepal 56 Indonesia 84 Argentina 112 Bermuda

1 minute ago, Rdrokit said:

Don't know why some people think it is so inexpensive to live in Thailand. There are 71 countries cheaper.

Here are the full rankings for all 112 countries surveyed by GOBankingRates, from the least expensive at No. 1 to the most expensive.

Totally agree and plenty in Europe like Portugal,which is a much better country in just about every way than Thailand,you can buy a nice pool villa freehold and in perpetuity for the same price as a Bangkok shoebox condo for 30 years just madness!

47 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

I for one minute do not believe these statistics, Greece 19, my daughter just returned from there, she told me it was expensive, Germany 35 and Cyprus 52 are far more expensive than Thailand 72 to live, so this is way out of wack IMO.

You forgot to add the fine print, to be more precise:

(1) the country’s local purchasing power, which measures the local buying power of typical incomes;

(2) cost index of consumer goods and services;

(3) cost index of rents; and

(4) cost index of groceries.

Methodology: GOBankingRates generated these rankings based on cost of living indices sourced from online pricing database Numbeo.com. This study surveyed cost indicators for major cities in the 112 nations for which Numbeo had recent and accurate data, using the median cost indicators of the cities to generate a typical cost index for the country. In countries where information was only available for a single city, that city’s data was used. GOBankingRates measured each country’s performance on four key data points: (1) the country’s local purchasing power, which measures the local buying power of typical incomes; (2) cost index of consumer goods and services; (3) cost index of rents; and (4) cost index of groceries. Countries were scored on the relative favorability of these factors, with each weighted equally, and ranked according to these scores. Additional details about the countries and certain cities were sourced from Numbeo.com (from Jan. 28, 2016, to Feb. 9, 2016) or the Central Intelligence Agency’s The World Factbook unless otherwise stated.

Most falangs like myself do not work here, we live off and survive off our income streams which are mainly from abroad and is a hell of a lot more than the typical incomes here in Thailand !

Edited by 4MyEgo

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I for one minute do not believe these statistics, Greece 19, my daughter just returned from there, she told me it was expensive, Germany 35 and Cyprus 52 are far more expensive than Thailand 72 to live, so this is way out of wack IMO.

Well I don't know where your daughter went but I am Greek and my relatives live in Kavala in Northern Greece right on the Aegean Sea. If I didn't have a Thai wife I would be living there as food, rent and cost of a car are far less than in Thailand. Maybe your daughter went to tourist areas where prices are always higher.

58 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Well I don't know where your daughter went but I am Greek and my relatives live in Kavala in Northern Greece right on the Aegean Sea. If I didn't have a Thai wife I would be living there as food, rent and cost of a car are far less than in Thailand. Maybe your daughter went to tourist areas where prices are always higher.

I was recently in Tenerife,Canary Islands for a wedding and can tell you it was CONSIDERABLY cheaper than Thailand,plus of course Spanish food is probably the best in the World right now!

15 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Yeah Kilkenny made in Malaysia.. But I could probably say the same for the Chinese, Italian, Mexican, Brazilian,Indian meal that Irish people are currently enjoying at their local restaurant. Your point is ? It's a global World and companies wish to sell to as large a market as possible. Or am I only allowed to drink Tiger beer in Singapore ? :cheesy:

My point is your beer is as fake as your rolling on the floor.

14 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Those data are seriously flawed in that respect because they are based upon:

"Local purchasing power index: Measures the relative purchasing power of a typical salary in that country"

So it's true that if you're earning a Thai salary, things are going to seem pricey here.  However, if you're earning a Western-level salary, or are living on a foreign pension, Thailand will appear relatively inexpensive.

Source:  https://www.gobankingrates.com/retirement/50-cheapest-countries-live-retire/

12 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

We are also Greeks, she stayed in Pierius Athens for 6 weeks with relo's, go figure, sure the islands and touristy places are expensive as they are anywhere in the world, but rent, food accommodation in Cities are far more expensive, Kavala is beautiful, but lets not forget, the topic was talking City's.

Even though you have a Thai wife, why rob yourself of the opportunity, to at least holiday there annually, 2-3 months a year ?

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

We are also Greeks, she stayed in Pierius Athens for 6 weeks with relo's, go figure, sure the islands and touristy places are expensive as they are anywhere in the world, but rent, food accommodation in Cities are far more expensive, Kavala is beautiful, but lets not forget, the topic was talking City's.

Even though you have a Thai wife, why rob yourself of the opportunity, to at least holiday there annually, 2-3 months a year ?

The wife wont leave for more than 2 weeks as she is the only one of 6 children that takes care of the parents. Not that we give them money but the wife travels to the village a couple times a month and cleans their house and takes them grocery shopping as neither has a vehicle. The father in law is 75 and still farms 5 rai of their land. I have taken her to the USA to visit my sister but she misses Thailand and the parents. I usually go alone on extended vacations. Going to visit my cousins in Kavala next spring. Sorry we highjacked the OP's thread.

Edited by Rdrokit

26 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

The wife wont leave for more than 2 weeks as she is the only one of 6 children that takes care of the parents. Not that we give them money but the wife travels to the village a couple times a month and cleans their house and takes them grocery shopping as neither has a vehicle. The father in law is 75 and still farms 5 rai of their land. I have taken her to the USA to visit my sister but she misses Thailand and the parents. I usually go alone on extended vacations. Going to visit my cousins in Kavala next spring. Sorry we highjacked the OP's thread.

Sounds like a well balanced plan, I also go on extended short vacations a week at a time, to Phuket, Pattaya and Bkk :)

if people want live the American dream in Thailand I think it's better to stay in the USA.
the reason I live in Thailand it s not not to worry about the American dream that I will never get anyway. (big car, garage filled with crap, being obese and date elephants)
if one day Thailand become like the USA (spend 7h a day watching TV cable and eat frozen pizza), it will be time to leave.

On 9/6/2016 at 4:51 PM, returnofthailand said:

if people want live the American dream in Thailand I think it's better to stay in the USA.
the reason I live in Thailand it s not not to worry about the American dream that I will never get anyway. (big car, garage filled with crap, being obese and date elephants)
if one day Thailand become like the USA (spend 7h a day watching TV cable and eat frozen pizza), it will be time to leave.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Monthy income in Bhat 156,200  expenditure 102,670   savings 53530 per month  have own house in wifes name 2 cars free hold employ a 6 day a week live out worker have health cover expensive but will keep it.

All bases covered very happy in my 13+ years living in Thailand.

Monthly Income is derived from personal super cpi ed      and shares and fixed term + cash. I planed to live here before I came and have lived my dream.

Good luck to you all I hope you will live your dream long term here as well

2 hours ago, whiteman said:

Monthy income in Bhat 156,200  expenditure 102,670   savings 53530 per month  have own house in wifes name 2 cars free hold employ a 6 day a week live out worker have health cover expensive but will keep it.

Monthly Income is derived from personal super cpi ed      and shares and fixed term + cash. I planed to live here before I came and have lived my dream.

So you own no property in Thailand then?

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

23 hours ago, whiteman said:

You do well to live on 102,670 Baht a month. Your dreams must be quite sedate on 100k a month:thumbsup:

It's possible I would say. It depends very much where you are living. I have been living in Bangkok for 5 years and now living near Khon aen. The price different is remarkable. You can easily rent a house for 4,000 Baht per month. A normal Thai lunch is around 30-35 Baht. If a go for. let's say, a wienerschnitzel I will cost me 70 Baht. A pork steak about 65 Baht. A big bottle of beer in a restaurang costs about 60-65 Baht.

Electriciy costs me 600-1100 Baht (depending on season). The water bill normally lands on 70 Baht per month. Here I pay 20 Baht for a full big bucket of laundry.

The interests in the banks today are very low, but you can get (today) 1.80 %. Lets say he invest 13,000,000 of his money in a Time Deposit, he will get 260,000 Baht per year.

Here up in North East (Isaan) you could easily live a good life for 25,000 Baht. 

I pay for a membership card in a good gym 500 Baht per month, and that includes a lovely swimming pool and nice showers etc.

If he decides to live in Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket, etc etc then the money will not be enough, and saty away from Thai ladies that wants to marry you :)

I live very comfortably with 7k to 8k bahts a month and in Pattaya. it can be done. people think I live like a rat but in fact I have everything like TV Internet big bed furniture scooter all food I want, swimming pool nearby, .... in fact same life style will cost you 60000 bahts but as everything is managed by Thai people I pay like thai people, 10x less.

13 minutes ago, returnofthailand said:

I live very comfortably with 7k to 8k bahts a month and in Pattaya. it can be done. people think I live like a rat but in fact I have everything like TV Internet big bed furniture scooter all food I want, swimming pool nearby, .... in fact same life style will cost you 60000 bahts but as everything is managed by Thai people I pay like thai people, 10x less.

How is that possible? If you see my "price of rice" in Thailand thread you'll see i'm looking at doing what you are doing :)

If you're living for 8000 a month i assume rent must take about 5000 of that.. so i guess that leaves you 3000 a month to eat ?