My pickup is nearly 2 yrs old. Tires...

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Tyres on one of our cars are nearly 8 years old and no cracks on inner side walls or outer so where's the 6 year thing come from,  does it mean there cheapo tyres. ?

The 6-year life span is generally espoused by the US tire manufacturers as the maximum lifespan. As far as i know, it's not an auto industry or federally regulated criteria but based on the known aspects of the degradation of tire composites hardening as they age. pretty much everyone replaces tires note that the ride is considerably smoother on the new treads since tires are the first stage of any shock absorption. Running on older, harder tires may transmit more shock and vibration to aging shock absorbers and coil springs, etc.

If I was driving one of your cars on its nearly 8 year-old tires, I wouldn't be doing much more than 70 kph and defo not clipping along over a ton+.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The 6-year life span is generally espoused by the US tire manufacturers as the maximum lifespan. As far as i know, it's not an auto industry or federally regulated criteria but based on the known aspects of the degradation of tire composites hardening as they age. pretty much everyone replaces tires note that the ride is considerably smoother on the new treads since tires are the first stage of any shock absorption. Running on older, harder tires may transmit more shock and vibration to aging shock absorbers and coil springs, etc.

If I was driving one of your cars on its nearly 8 year-old tires, I wouldn't be doing much more than 70 kph and defo not clipping along over a ton+.

Understand and respect your opinion I missed the tire spelling :D Americans l guess get advised differently in many things so l would not necessary agree.

l would have to say l've had 12 year old tyres but good quality ones running on a Volvo l had in England, a second car hence low mileage, it past MOT inspections.

Unless running on the road,  looking after tyres in Thailand is different so l try to keep them out of sun as much as possible when parked etc.

They regularly get treated with the UV silicon protection lotion on the side walls and l always put air psi in myself and will change them at the 3mm RoSPA recommended worn tyre tread depth or if anyone of three signs of deterioration are present.

Other factors with tyres can be felt in steering or ride quality as you stated.

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Understand and respect your opinion I missed the tire spelling :D Americans l guess get advised differently in many things so l would not necessary agree.

l would have to say l've had 12 year old tyres but good quality ones running on a Volvo l had in England, a second car hence low mileage, it past MOT inspections.

Unless running on the road,  looking after tyres in Thailand is different so l try to keep them out of sun as much as possible when parked etc.

They regularly get treated with the UV silicon protection lotion on the side walls and l always put air psi in myself and will change them at the 3mm RoSPA recommended worn tyre tread depth or if anyone of three signs of deterioration are present.

Other factors with tyres can be felt in steering or ride quality as you stated.

Just because the tread depth is fine, doesn't mean the rubber is gripping very well or the sidewall of the tyre is as strong as it's supposed to be.

20 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Just because the tread depth is fine, doesn't mean the rubber is gripping very well or the sidewall of the tyre is as strong as it's supposed to be.

I've never been concerned with tyres on a car it's just one of the many things you can check as regularly as you wish.

My post is just my take on subject and tyre compounds have got much better over the years along with life expectancy hence my drive feel comment along with tucking your bum well in the drivers seat. 

When cornering is affected the abs kicking in too often it could be signs of a defective tyre or two on the ride,  and l concede this may not apply to the inexperienced driver though.

I guess the best l can do is wait at the end of factory tyre production line that got my size and even then one could fail. :D