Perth toddler almost died after contracting flesh-eating bacteria in Thailand

webfact

Perth toddler almost died after contracting flesh-eating bacteria in Thailand

Krystal Johnson - Yahoo7 News

BANGKOK: -- A relaxing holiday in Thailand turned terrifying for a Perth couple, when their youngest daughter almost died from a flesh-eating bacteria.

Amarli travelled to Thailand with her parents Sharna and Brendan Marshall and four-year-old sister Kensi on holiday in June. 

But their 10-day holiday turned into a six-week ordeal at an emergency ward in Bangkok, after the 18-month-old nearly died from the bacteria. 

When Amarli became extremely sick, a doctor initially told her family she was going to be okay.

Full story: https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/32346243/amarli-marshall-contracted-flesh-eating-bacteria-in-thailand/#page1

-- YAHOO! 7 NEWS 2016-08-16

2 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

How could the doctors be so sure that the tot was infected on a plane? 

So glad she has recovered. She's got such a lovely smile despite her ordeal.

Like you I wonder how she got infected on the plane.

I did a Google search and came up with this.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/necrotizing-fasciitis-flesh-eating-bacteria#1

Every year, between 600 and 700 cases are diagnosed in the U.S. About 25% to 30% of those cases result in death. It rarely occurs in children.

How Do You Get Necrotizing Fasciitis?

The bacteria that cause necrotizing fasciitis can enter the body following surgery or injury. They can also enter the body through:

minor cuts

insect bites

abrasions

In some cases, it is unknown how the infection began. Once it takes hold, the infection rapidly destroys muscle, skin, and fat tissue.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Like you I wonder how she got infected on the plane.

I did a Google search and came up with this.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/necrotizing-fasciitis-flesh-eating-bacteria#1

Every year, between 600 and 700 cases are diagnosed in the U.S. About 25% to 30% of those cases result in death. It rarely occurs in children.

How Do You Get Necrotizing Fasciitis?

The bacteria that cause necrotizing fasciitis can enter the body following surgery or injury. They can also enter the body through:

minor cuts

insect bites

abrasions

In some cases, it is unknown how the infection began. Once it takes hold, the infection rapidly destroys muscle, skin, and fat tissue.

because it can be caught through inhalation - as it is airborne (mentioned in the article and easily found if you look at a better Google search rather than a skin problems page)

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

The article says MAY have contracted the disease during the flight to Thailand. 

This is a serious infection, not really a laughing matter guys.!!

My mate ended up having 3 operations to his left leg & they cut nearly 2 kilos of flesh off before finally

winning the battle.

Even the smallest cut wash well with disinfectant as soon as you can in the tropics

26 minutes ago, Thian said:

Good parents don't bring kids younger then 4-5 years to Thailand.

Yesterday in the plane they were crying all around me, all the time.....untill i asked for another seat :wai2:

and than they stopped crying? it must have been you who made them upset.

but i agree, really good parents stay at home as soon as they have children and don't leave until the kids have...

edit: spelling error

Edited by manfredtillmann

Just now, manfredtillmann said:

and than they stopped crying? it must have been you you made them upset.

but i agree, really good parents stay at home as soon as they have children and don't leave until the kids have...

Don't know, i made a new friend in the other seat, he was a great guy to sit next to.

I even saw a father going to the toilet with dirty diapers in his hand. He changed them on his seat.....:blink:

24 minutes ago, Thian said:

Good parents don't bring kids younger then 4-5 years to Thailand.

Yesterday in the plane they were crying all around me, all the time.....untill i asked for another seat :wai2:

Personally, I would not bring kids here (or anywhere in SEAsia) until they are teenagers.  Both because they dont have the immunity/antibodies of the locals, and also because it is just plain selfish and stupid.  Selfish in that these ignorant parents are really here for themselves, and stupid because there are many many things children can catch here. As a 60+ adult I knew this when a 20+ with kids, but nowadays they are so 'ignorant' (unaware).  This child will forever have medical issues - these types of things do not go away forever - she will have ongoing problems now and then for her life.

Simple rule for simple parents : If you cant drink the water from the taps - dont take young children there. Doh!!

1 minute ago, Thian said:

Don't know, i made a new friend in the other seat, he was a great guy to sit next to.

I even saw a father going to the toilet with dirty diapers in his hand. He changed them on his seat.....:blink:

that's terrible, mate, changing a babies nappies on his seat..., how could he?

happy for you finding a new friend. be good.

mfg

mft

1 minute ago, Bob9 said:

Personally, I would not bring kids here (or anywhere in SEAsia) until they are teenagers.  Both because they dont have the immunity/antibodies of the locals, and also because it is just plain selfish and stupid.  Selfish in that these ignorant parents are really here for themselves, and stupid because there are many many things children can catch here. As a 60+ adult I knew this when a 20+ with kids, but nowadays they are so 'ignorant' (unaware).  This child will forever have medical issues - these types of things do not go away forever - she will have ongoing problems now and then for her life.

Simple rule for simple parents : If you cant drink the water from the taps - dont take young children there. Doh!!

I also would be very scared to go to a Thai hospital with very young kids. That's the place where all dirty diseases/bacterials hang around.

Once i was visiting a familymember in a hospital at Victory monument...it smelled like fungus all over the room, it was black on the ceiling from it. I saw meggarts crawling on the floor just infront of me, they came from the flowers they said....

The young boys had to lay under the patients bed and also eat there on the floor.

If possible i avoid those places like a plague.

2 minutes ago, Bob9 said:

teenagers are selfish and stupid, you don't take them anywhere. the worst travelling companions.

and the places on this planet where you can drink tap water are...?

50 minutes ago, Chapelroad said:

The article says MAY have contracted the disease during the flight to Thailand. 

True, but there's a lot of "may have" about where they have been. It may have been in a toilet on the island. Etc. Planes are an enclosed environment and often blamed for the spread of infections. I'm just curious as to how the doctors could have narrowed it down so, even if there's a "may" in there. I think it's important to understand this, as many others were on that plane ...

I have seen in CM, really young babies (say 1 year or a little more) in their parent's arms, without a hat on, in the blazing sun.

Of course I mean foreigners.  Funnily enough they are always very blond, so I presume Scandinavians.  

I lived a great part of my childhood in Sydney.  In that hot summer sun, no Oz mother let her brat out without a hat on and the playpen was always in the shade.

....can't stop thinking about the guy who said he went in with a minor ailment...and they tried to convince him he had cancer...

...better get second opinions about any diagnoses....

...glad the little girl is okay now...

I flew Thai Airways the other way from Bangkok to Brisbane and also ended up in an Australian Hospital due to flesh eating bacteria from a cut I received from the V.O.D. box under the seat in front of me. Nearly died and nearly lost my leg. Worse place for these bugs is in a clean hospital environment where the bacteria that survive antibiotics cause these types of difficult to cure infections.

8 minutes ago, Estrada said:

I flew Thai Airways the other way from Bangkok to Brisbane and also ended up in an Australian Hospital due to flesh eating bacteria from a cut I received from the V.O.D. box under the seat in front of me. Nearly died and nearly lost my leg. Worse place for these bugs is in a clean hospital environment where the bacteria that survive antibiotics cause these types of difficult to cure infections.

What is a VOD box? Video on demand?

Did you also loose some kg of flesh?

I've heard about this bacterial several times but didn't know it made so many victims.

6 hours ago, MAMMartin said:

because it can be caught through inhalation - as it is airborne (mentioned in the article and easily found if you look at a better Google search rather than a skin problems page)

If that is so then when didn't anybody else on the plane catch it (assuming that she caught it on the plane). I would have thought that with 2 or 300 people in very close proximity breathing recycled air might have produced more than one case.

If you are correct then there had to be somebody else on the plane who was infected and passed it on.

The article alludes to a broader problem that I've encountered here in Thailand quite a number of times, even at the better/best hospitals.

And that is just plain wrong and/or foolish diagnoses by Thai doctors. They latch onto a suspected cause or an opinion, and then once that's in place, there's a tendency to not let actual conflicting facts or symptoms change their opinion.

You explain to them how what they're telling you doesn't fit with the symptoms you've described to them, or similar conflicts in details, and then you just get a blank stare and silence back in return.

Not that the same kind of poor medical practice doesn't happen elsewhere, because it does. But I feel like I've seen an inordinate amount of it here in Thailand.

The headline of this post definitively  states  the infection was  contracted in Thailand.

An accurate  headline  should read  as presented  with ....

No detail on time of stay in Thailand  before onset of illness.

No information as to  previous state of health before  departure  to Thailand.

The  good  outcome is due to the   accurate  diagnosis  by  Thai  medics. Initial non diagnosis in   small  medical  clinic/ hospital  situation is  no  surprise  because  this  bacterial infection is  not as  common as would be portrayed  in anecdotal statement and certainly  less  than other causes of  pnueumonia.

The  majority of those  who contact this infection are immunologically  compromised by factors  such as prior  or  long term antibiotic  use/abuse and/or habitual excessive  alcohol  consumption.

Parents of the  very young need be  aware of the risk of exposure in  new environments that can and  do have potential infection risks

20 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

It is an airborne bacteria so ofcourse it would have been contracted when she was airborne.

Sheesh.

Glad she is OK.

16 hours ago, manfredtillmann said:

teenagers are selfish and stupid, you don't take them anywhere. the worst travelling companions.

and the places on this planet where you can drink tap water are...?

Flint Michigan :) 

1 hour ago, manfredtillmann said:

...and? that is less than 1/600th of the total landmass of our planet. doesn't give you much room to travel ;)

Have you never heard about W-Europe? You can drink tapwater in almost all W-European countries.  Norway, Sweden, Danmark, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Poland....the rest i'm not sure but i guess it's drinkable.