New Kawasaki KX 250 F

BBJ

I am considering the KX 250 F as a fun bike.

For those interested Kawasaki are taking orders.  50% up front to secure order, no finance available.  Bare in mind this bike isn't street legal and is made of motorcross and off road.

KX 250 F 335,000 bht

Edited by BBJ

^I guess i assumed, when I said "for those interested", that anyone who might be interested would know about the bike, and would also know about purchasing conditions in Thailand.

I am positive, it is the dogs' danglies as far as fun is concerened.  For those interested of course.

Fortunately, there is a MX track near me.  

I once bought a non-registerable motorcycle and did a story how I made it pass Thai registration… Lots of people asked how and what and accused me of cheating…. Sure I cheated, but we all cheat when we change the exhaust or install a Dynojet Power Commander or other engine modification…

Even if you change the color or 20 percent of the motorcycle you already should have contact the Department of Land Transport to get your Greenbook (registration reworked).

1 hour ago, BBJ said:

^I guess i assumed, when I said "for those interested", that anyone who might be interested would know about the bike, and would also know about purchasing conditions in Thailand.

I am positive, it is the dogs' danglies as far as fun is concerened.  For those interested of course.

Fortunately, there is a MX track near me.  

Yeah - be a fun bike :D 

Did you consider the Honda - @ 275,000 it's quite a bit cheaper?

I am a bit lazy though - would be looking for the magic button on the KTMs!

I used to ride a CRF450R Sumo'd in BKK and that fas super fun, even though it was really an MX bike.

I really wish that Kawasaki would sell the KLX450R road legal, but I doubt that would ever happen. I would be happy to accept one with the normal 'enduro' bike warranty etc...!

listing_2851_SDC10704.jpg

Let us know how you go.

The Honda CRF250R which the Bigwing dealers sell in Thailand is still the 2016 model, while Kawasaki and Suzuki already take orders for the 2017 model.

Buying a ‘cheap’ used motocross motorcycle is only an option if you have enormous amounts of free time, as you will probably need to rebuild the engine and do more DIY fixes… For spare parts a one or two year old Kawasaki is probably the best choice as Kawasaki has all parts readily available, Honda is the best second choice… while they will question you like the CIA if you order a part… Suzuki is only an option if you are a serious MX rider amateur or sponsored… as parts are difficult to obtain even they’re in the Bangkok warehouse…

I would say look for a GPX ZF250, but they’re so rare that they almost cost as much as the new price 2 years ago… Sadly no other manufacturer ever filled that cap in off-road riding...

Just out of curiosity are we saying that the KLX250  is a better buy than the CFR 250L? 

If so why?   I am asking because I will be getting one of them hopefully next year when I get settled properly

Cheers

1 minute ago, Richard-BKK said:

Buying a ‘cheap’ used motocross motorcycle is only an option if you have enormous amounts of free time, as you will probably need to rebuild the engine and do more DIY fixes… For spare parts a one or two year old Kawasaki is probably the best choice as Kawasaki has all parts readily available, Honda is the best second choice… while they will question you like the CIA if you order a part… Suzuki is only an option if you are a serious MX rider amateur or sponsored… as parts are difficult to obtain even they’re in the Bangkok warehouse…

Rubbish - does't take that long to do anything on dirt bikes and most of the owners around the world are teenagers...lol.

Checking valves takes 20 mins, swapping out a carb takes 20 mins...... rebuilding forks is a little complicated.... but none of it is rocket science. These bikes have been around for ages and have been 'designed' to be easy to work on by their owners. All the same, if you couldn't change the oil yourself or check the valve clearance yourself then you probably should get another hobby.

Spare parts are not a problem and most people I know just buy online from the US (Cheapest / largest range). Honda easily has the best aftermarket support IMO, and I don't know what you are on about with Suzuki.... much smaller sales and aftermarket.... especially in the 450cc segment, but what 'is' or 'isn't' in a Bangkok warehouse would not be a concern for me.

4 minutes ago, Caps said:

Just out of curiosity are we saying that the KLX250  is a better buy than the CFR 250L? 

If so why?   I am asking because I will be getting one of them hopefully next year when I get settled properly

Cheers

They are talking about the KX250 (MX), not the KLX250 (Dual Sport) - very different products.

If you google you can find loads of comparisons of the CRF250L and the KLX250 FWIW.

Just now, denkiblue555 said:

They are talking about the KX250 (MX), not the KLX250 (Dual Sport) - very different products.

If you google you can find loads of comparisons of the CRF250L and the KLX250 FWIW.

ah, ok thanks.  Having had the CRF250X I will be sticking with the the more sedate road going versions now :thumbsup:

Just now, Caps said:

ah, ok thanks.  Having had the CRF250X I will be sticking with the the more sedate road going versions now :thumbsup:

If you have ridden a 250X, then I think you should prepare yourself before you ride the 250L (it will have no 'snap' like your old bike and much worse suspension) - but I am sure you already know that. Kinda like going from an XR650R to an XR650L. Still a pretty good/cheap/easy to own bike now in Thailand.

11 minutes ago, denkiblue555 said:

If you have ridden a 250X, then I think you should prepare yourself before you ride the 250L (it will have no 'snap' like your old bike and much worse suspension) - but I am sure you already know that. Kinda like going from an XR650R to an XR650L. Still a pretty good/cheap/easy to own bike now in Thailand.

Hahaha yes, I hired a 250L the other year from CM (my report is on here)  and I totally agree with you 

Edited by Caps

13 hours ago, denkiblue555 said:

Yeah - be a fun bike :D 

Did you consider the Honda - @ 275,000 it's quite a bit cheaper?

I am a bit lazy though - would be looking for the magic button on the KTMs!

I used to ride a CRF450R Sumo'd in BKK and that fas super fun, even though it was really an MX bike.

I really wish that Kawasaki would sell the KLX450R road legal, but I doubt that would ever happen. I would be happy to accept one with the normal 'enduro' bike warranty etc...!

listing_2851_SDC10704.jpg

Let us know how you go.

Yeah, going to take a look at Honda.  Was a little taken back by the price of the 250F but a present i am in a quandry. Buy an off road bike to keep me off road, or continue with my Africa Twin order? Mate is in hospital having been taken out just over a week ago.  Having a daughter also tells me to keep off the road.  Dirt or Trail, haven't made my mind up yet.

4 hours ago, BBJ said:

Yeah, going to take a look at Honda.  Was a little taken back by the price of the 250F but a present i am in a quandry. Buy an off road bike to keep me off road, or continue with my Africa Twin order? Mate is in hospital having been taken out just over a week ago.  Having a daughter also tells me to keep off the road.  Dirt or Trail, haven't made my mind up yet.

Yeah, it's a bit of a hard one.

In general it seems impossible to buy one bike which will 'do everything' and so it becomes cheaper to have multiple bikes, ie. a mx/enduro for off-road, a commuter for basic stuff and a touring bike for example.

The africa twin would do a lot well, but it would be a big heavy beast and no fun on single tracks or 'challenging' off-road riding. But it would be great on the highways and on well maintained dirt roads.

You could buy a nice used 250cc MX bike, and a reasonably priced road bike and still have change left for a scooter for trips to 7/11. :D

But it really just depends on where your priorities are, MX bikes are great off road as they are very light but very powerful... you just need to get them to where you are going to ride.

^I've no doubt the AT will serve everything I need.  My moded Versys (just sold) took me down the trails at 100kph plus at times.  My main area of concern is staying off the tarmac as much as possible and maybe buying a bike I can sling in the truck.  I don't commute as much as I did which used to be a daily trip to and from Min Buri/Bangkea.  And I'm also not one for polishing my bike and staring at it so the AT maybe overkill.  As you mention, the second hand option might be worth considering.