TDFA petitions NRSA to investigate act of monopolies at Bangkok airports

webfact

TDFA petitions NRSA to investigate act of monopolies at Bangkok airports

BANGKOK, 18 August 2016 (NNT) – The Thai Duty Free Shop Traders' Association has petitioned the National Reform Steering Assembly to look into the act of monopolies in the pickup of duty-free purchases at both Bangkok airports. 

Admiral Pajun Tamprateep, deputy chairman of the NRSA committee on anti-corruption, met with Chairwoman of the Thai Duty Free Shop Traders' Association Rawittha Pongnuchit on Wednesdy. She had come to file a petition regarding what she called an unfair practice surrounding the duty-free purchase pickup service at the departure halls of both international airports by King Power Suvarnabhumi Company Limited or King power Duty Free Company Limited. 

Ms. Rawittha said that, as King Power has been the only operator licensed to utilize the airport space, this has resulted in a monopoly in the duty-free shop business. 

She added that TDFA had earlier filed an official request to the President of Airports of Thailand PCL for allocated space at Don Mueang International Airport but got turned down due to the crowded circumstances of the airport. The association is still waiting for a response to the same request concerning Suvarnabhumi Airport. 

Therefore, Ms. Raiwttha said that TDFA would like the NRSA Whip to launch an investigation and seek answers to any problems that may exist.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-18

Won't buy duty free in Thailand as it's a scam.  Bought a bottle of whiskey at kingpower in the departure lounge at Chiangmai.  Arrived in BKK and when getting connecting flight to Melbourne they took the whiskey off me and said it can't be taken on the plane

57 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Won't buy duty free in Thailand as it's a scam.  Bought a bottle of whiskey at kingpower in the departure lounge at Chiangmai.  Arrived in BKK and when getting connecting flight to Melbourne they took the whiskey off me and said it can't be taken on the plane

Not in a duty free sealed bag?......if not, then that's normal.

Edited by ChrisY1

4 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Not in a duty free sealed bag?......if not, then that's normal.

It is also normal if you have to be screened through a security checkpoint (for example domestic to international) -- not limited to just Thailand.

58 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Yes it stinks. Refer here:

I raised this matter with the Australian authorities and they simply said they are their rules for the safety of travellers. When I raised the point with them that Australia allows highly inflammable spirits on board planes leaving Australia they say - oh! that's OK because our duty shops are "sterile",  whatever that means. Does that also mean that duty free shops in airports all over the world are "unsterile"? I suspect what they are trying to do is get you to buy it duty free on arrival in Australia.

And where do you imagine the confiscated bottles of booze end up? I suspect sold off cheap to some lucky buyer known to the security staff who then pocket the cash.

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I think the mistake that was made was selling you duty free in Chiang Mai since it was a domestic flight (i.e. it had domestic passengers).

That's not relevant. I often caught a flight at Cairns going to Sydney, which originated in Narita. Are you suggesting that the Narita passengers could not have duty free.

Vichai has done an amazing job cultivating multiple alliances in an ever-changing, precarious environment with multiple coups and governments.

He fended off an attack at DMK which upset some equally highly-connected types.

Some surmise he is still viewed as an upstart and needs to be taught a lesson.

18 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

That's not relevant. I often caught a flight at Cairns going to Sydney, which originated in Narita. Are you suggesting that the Narita passengers could not have duty free.

BKKcannuk8 was referring to Suvarnabhumi Airport Bangkok where I have had the same experience. My bottle was in a sealed bag and I had a receipt. Not surprising you had no problem when originating in Narita. The scam only seems confined to Bangkok departure gate because the security staff are willing participants and make a heap of money out of it. 

26 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

BKKcannuk8 was referring to Suvarnabhumi Airport Bangkok where I have had the same experience. My bottle was in a sealed bag and I had a receipt. Not surprising you had no problem when originating in Narita. The scam only seems confined to Bangkok departure gate because the security staff are willing participants and make a heap of money out of it. 

Thais compensating their lack of grey matter with grey areas for financial gain.

4 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

I raised this matter with the Australian authorities and they simply said they are their rules for the safety of travellers. When I raised the point with them that Australia allows highly inflammable spirits on board planes leaving Australia they say - oh! that's OK because our duty shops are "sterile",  whatever that means. Does that also mean that duty free shops in airports all over the world are "unsterile"? I suspect what they are trying to do is get you to buy it duty free on arrival in Australia.

And where do you imagine the confiscated bottles of booze end up? I suspect sold off cheap to some lucky buyer known to the security staff who then pocket the cash.

I do not think you can buy duty-free, on arrival at any airport.  Duty-free shops are all in the departure terminal.  I have looked in the duty-free zones, a few times and never found any bargains.

Edited by rapom
correction

34 minutes ago, rapom said:

I do not think you can buy duty-free, on arrival at any airport.  Duty-free shops are all in the departure terminal.  I have looked in the duty-free zones, a few times and never found any bargains.

Wrong, many airports have Duty Free shops on the arrival side of the Immigration border.  As you are still "airside" it's still a duty free zone.

EVERYONE KNOWS KINGPOWER IS PRETTY FKN CORRUPT.  using the kings name to evade taxes  shame shame shame.  

i happen to know a thing or two. 

tax money is not fully claimed and some... family ... gets to keep the tax write off. 

remeber the KINGPOWER SCAM a few years ago?    you would enter king power,  buy something and one of the staff would give you a free gift.   

when you left, the police would charge you with stealing the item and the person who gave the gift was nowhere.  Easy scam that they get about a couple million a year from since noone ever reports this.   they all pay, so they can leave thailand. 

1 hour ago, saminoz said:

Wrong, many airports have Duty Free shops on the arrival side of the Immigration border.  As you are still "airside" it's still a duty free zone.

Including Swampy !

i am similar to a lot of posters, I try to not buy off King Power, however a couple of weeks ago I desperately needed a carton of cigarettes, selected my choice gave passport and boarding card to the cashier, who immediately refused me as my boarding card said destination Hong Kong. Legally she was right as HK only allows a pack of 19 cigarettes to be brought in, however ŵhen I told here I was going to China and was not entering HK, she became slightly loud and I had to call a supervisor in to rectify the situation. 

6 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

It was discovered last year that the airport security staff were selling the confiscated alcohol to the local hotels.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that this mob had been ordered to quit the airport, by a decision of the courts. They are , in effect, squatting. Of course it will never be enforced because these are "the good people"

26 minutes ago, Hawk said:

It was discovered last year that the airport security staff were selling the confiscated alcohol to the local hotels.

And on eBay/Facebook with shampoo and other toiletries.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

In Australia all airports have Duty Free stores on arrival, and actively encourage purchases.

Isn't it also the case that you can buy before departure and collect upon your return? That system makes much more sense than dragging a marginally cheap bottle of booze around the world to save a few bucks.

4 hours ago, rapom said:

I am finding it very difficult to recall an international airport I have flown into in the past 10 years which DOESN'T have a duty free store for arriving pax....  You would have to be blindfolded to miss them

1 hour ago, Argus Tuft said:

I am finding it very difficult to recall an international airport I have flown into in the past 10 years which DOESN'T have a duty free store for arriving pax....  You would have to be blindfolded to miss them

I may be wrong but T 3 at Heathrow Springs  to mind