Thai woman feigns sleep in car to escape alcohol rap

webfact

Thai woman feigns sleep in car to escape alcohol rap

p3.jpg

Image: Daily News

ROI-ET: -- What do you do when the Thai police pull you over late at night for an alcohol test?

A 46 year old Thai woman in Roi-Et early this morning made an unusual choice - she decided to pretend to be asleep in her pick-up truck, reported Daily News.

Only after officers had tried to wake her for the best part of an hour - and brought a tow truck to take her to the station - did she finally blow in the bag.

And she was under the limit.

Officer Owarit of the downtown Roi-Et force said that he and six others had set up an alcohol testing checkpoint. 

The woman driver stopped and alcohol was smelt on her breath so she was invited to pull over to the side of the road and come out of the vehicle. She parked but would not come out.

Officers tried everything to get Kulanan Kuaphisamai, 46, out of her Isuzu Mu-7 but she appeared to be asleep. Eventually when a tow truck was about to take her to the police pound she agreed to take the test.

She was found to have 28 milligrams in her system - under the limit. She was warned about drinking and driving.

Kulanan said that she was worried about being over the limit so decided to pretend that she had fallen asleep.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-18

Limit is .05 and she was .028 when eventually measured. Anybody know whether an hour have been enough to drop her to that level if she had been over when she was stopped?

Leaving aside the accuracy of the breathalyser.....

15 minutes ago, FloridaExport said:

In the states they would simply draw blood if the person was "unconscious". I bet a needle in her arm would have been sufficient to "wake" her.

Yes indeed, but Thailand is a civilized country..................;)

12 minutes ago, uptoyoumyfriend said:

where did you get that information ?  it seems highly unconstitutional to me.

By signing your driver license you agree to give consent to a sobriety test. People are tested in hospitals after traffic accidents on a regular basis because consent is already on a signed government document.

10 minutes ago, FloridaExport said:

By signing your driver license you agree to give consent to a sobriety test. People are tested in hospitals after traffic accidents on a regular basis because consent is already on a signed government document.

This is half true, you do sign to give consent but they still need your consent to blow or take blood.  If you deny consent then you lose you license for one year or more which is worse than a 6 month suspention for 1st time DUI.  Also, not giving consent you are not allowed to apply for a work permit to drive to work. Of course depending on state law.

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

falling asleep in a car - isn't that enough evidence to be drunk?

They should have spared the test just consider the evidence

She didn't "fall asleep", neither was she drunk.

54 minutes ago, denkiblue555 said:

How on earth do they let that happen?

Seriously..... she pulls over and then instantly falls asleep where she effectively refused a breath test.

I would have thought she would have broken several laws in this incident?

Such as which laws?  She didn't refuse a breath test?

Just now, gdgbb said:

Such as which laws?  She didn't refuse a breath test?

Well, she didn't pull over and provide an immediate breath test

She evaded police by pretending to be asleep and locking the car 

She waisted police time and energy

Her actions resulted in a tow truck having to be called

There must be something in there...

FWIW: I think if I was required to do a breath test and I simply shut my mouth and made no further communication it would be deemed as refusing. Locking the car and closing your eyes.....even a child could work that one out.

2 hours ago, topt said:

Limit is .05 and she was .028 when eventually measured. Anybody know whether an hour have been enough to drop her to that level if she had been over when she was stopped?

Leaving aside the accuracy of the breathalyser.....

She had been on less then 0.05 from the beginning, because the body can only reduce the alcohol level about 0.01 to 0.015 per hour, but I'm sure this lady has lots of other stories.