Slow down! Double whammy spurs Phuket speed warning

webfact

Slow down! Double whammy spurs Phuket speed warning

The Phuket News

1471500170_1-org.jpg

A screen grab from YouTube shows the second vehicle careering towards the already badly damaged Mazda. Photo: YouTube Got5275 screen grab

PHUKET: -- The director of the Phuket Highways Department has put out a warning to drivers living or visiting the island to strictly adhere to road laws and warnings following two identical road accidents being caught on CCTV and video camera just over an hour apart.

Footage of the accidents, which occurred on the northbound lanes of the notorious Maphrao bends on Thepkrasattri Rd in Mai Khao on Monday (Aug 15), has gone viral after being posted on various websites including YouTube and Facebook by a Kusoldhram rescue worker based in Thalang.

The recording, which started being taken at around 2:10pm on Monday, first showed the driver of a red Mazda 2 lose control of her vehicle on the first of two Maphrao bends before crashing into an electricity pylon.

Then, just over one hour later, at 3:25pm, and while passersby and rescue workers were helping the victim of the first accident, a Honda CRV also lost control on the very same bend, slamming into the back of the already badly damaged Mazda and quickly dispersing the many people who had gathered to help the first victim.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/slow-down-double-whammy-spurs-phuket-speed-warning-58737.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-08-18

They can't drive a car and can't drive the Maphrao bends! It's easy like that.

This bends are wide and so easy to drive that driving with 130km/h and closed eyes is no problem.

Speed reducers like in the ban kor en bend wont stop morons with no driving ability to destroy their cars.

So stop this sign and speed reduce nonsens and start a new way. No more morons without driving ability on the roads. 

Edited by schlog

Drove it last week, took it at around 100kph, no issues. The mini vans behind me that were pushing me ended up far away behind in the left lane (from the right) and only came back to me 500-700m further down the road where they again disapeared at the bend

Just uneducated drivers, these bends are extremely common in my country and even my frail granny can take them

5 hours ago, schlog said:

They can't drive a car and can't drive the Maphrao bends! It's easy like that.

This bends are wide and so easy to drive that driving with 130km/h and closed eyes is no problem.

Speed reducers like in the ban kor en bend wont stop morons with no driving ability to destroy their cars.

So stop this sign and speed reduce nonsens and start a new way. No more morons without driving ability on the roads. 

5 hours ago, bearpolar said:

Drove it last week, took it at around 100kph, no issues. The mini vans behind me that were pushing me ended up far away behind in the left lane (from the right) and only came back to me 500-700m further down the road where they again disapeared at the bend

Just uneducated drivers, these bends are extremely common in my country and even my frail granny can take them

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Err- national speed limit for cars on the highways is 100kph in some place, 120 in others. I can put a pickup around those bends safely at 100kph, Somchai struggles at 60- its all about taking the right line. 

Instead of having a dig at him think about the comments above on the minibuses falling behind because they can't figure out bends and big bus drivers doing over 120.

I would hazard a guess that the second incident (I refuse to use the word accident) occurred because Somchai was probably looking at the flashy lights on the emergency vehicle and failed to notice the road ahead went all bendy.

We thank you for your contribution to a Phuket forum.

I wonder which other laws these arrogant posters ignore because they are too gifted as drivers to be bound by them and then brag about it?  

No wonder there are apparently so many accidents on Thai roads with people like these tear-arsing around without consideration for others.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Err- national speed limit for cars on the highways is 100kph in some place, 120 in others. I can put a pickup around those bends safely at 100kph, Somchai struggles at 60- its all about taking the right line. 

Instead of having a dig at him think about the comments above on the minibuses falling behind because they can't figure out bends and big bus drivers doing over 120.

I would hazard a guess that the second incident (I refuse to use the word accident) occurred because Somchai was probably looking at the flashy lights on the emergency vehicle and failed to notice the road ahead went all bendy.

We thank you for your contribution to a Phuket forum.

" We thank you for your contribution to a Phuket forum."

What's that supposed to mean?  Are there rules about who can comment on "your" forum?

An inflammatory post has been removed as well as a reply:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Can anyone confirm if the second car that crashed was driven by a "european" driver?

I was ready to blame the lack of driving skills on the thai drivers, but i've heard through thai media that the second driver was not Thai......

Can anyone confirm?