Building regulations on rural lands ?

I have so many questions, but I will start here:

I have been looking into buying land near Buri Ram. I want to build a homestead,  do some micro farming (micro family farming too), and eventually in due time retire there. My question has had many Thai's head shaking but I need to be sure, - are there any building regulations on rural farm and residential lands? Am I allowed to put a shipping container down? or a wooden shed?  or a polytunnel? a scarecrow? etc.

What's a building regulation? You need to talk to the village boss/council, accompanied by a bottle or two of something. Then maybe the neighbours. I and my son in law have been building for years without bothering about stuff like that. Microfarming? You mean a hobby farm, again no problem.

Agree with cooked, regulations (if any) are no hindrance in the county side.  However, you should keep any neighbors in mind and don't tread on them with your construction or land use (for example altering canal and rain flows).

I'm in Kap Choeng Surin. This past year the local government has put into effect a permit with approved drawings for all building for construction. I know for the past 4 years this had been rumored but its a fact now. New homes that are being constructed even by Thais are being done now by registered companies out of Mueang Surin. Would advice all of you even in Buriram to check at your local amphur before you put out the money. This is happening on rural farm land and throughout the village. I can show you 4 homes that have or are being built by Thai for Thaiss with NO farang involment all by registered companies. Times are changing. CHECK FIRST.

Edited by khwaibah

First question is what papers do you have for the land. If chanot or N.S.3, building a house is no problem. If a lesser type of papers you are basically not allowed to build.

If have chanot, you have to draw a house plan, go to the Tambon offices and get an approval. The  you build and then you go to the village chief and get a house number and a signed form saying he already checked the place and you have actually completed the building. With this you go to the ampoe offices and get the blue book for the house. No need for bottles or envelopes...

If you put on a pre-built house, usually no permit from the tambon is needed, but you should check with your local rambon.

If you have a chanote, you simply go to the nearest village puyai baan to tell him what you are doing and that you will need an address and paperwork for the electric company. We have never gone to the amphur for anything. 

I agree with Kwaibah & LukKrueng. My understanding is that the current government has instituted new rules for checking & approving all house constructions wherever (or is enforcing what was always theoretically required). Either way, it's the same and no big deal. 

For the house I'm building near Prasat in Surin, we got approval for the architect designs - took a day or 2, I think, but no probs. We got a surveyor in to check the boundaries as one neighbour was complaining the current old fence line was encroaching on his territory - turned out he was encroaching on ours (neighbour last seen jumping on his motorbike and holding on to his disappearing face ... ). ?

And being nice to the village headperson (a woman, in our case) does no harm.

Main thing we had to be careful about was actually the price we paid for the land, which was a little higher than they were used to. So registering for chanote involved some slight manoeuvres,  and of course the money came entirely from my Thai partner ... TIT

I just built my house, no approvals from anyone bar myself, started stage 1 construction seven years ago, completed stage 2, 2 years ago. Designed drawn and built by myself with help from the brothers occasionally. In rural NE Thailand, if you see the Orbitor or any authorities they will simply ask for money, the locals here just build and don't say a word unless you are in town. 

Two posters have given up to date info that with a new government things have changed. The rest of you are giving info as old as 8 years that has no relevance to the OP's question. Again OP you need to ask your amphora. Things have changed and are continuing to change. What was being done 1 year ago let alone 8 years ago has changed.

Edited by khwaibah

4 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

First question is what papers do you have for the land. If chanot or N.S.3, building a house is no problem. If a lesser type of papers you are basically not allowed to build.

If have chanot, you have to draw a house plan, go to the Tambon offices and get an approval. The  you build and then you go to the village chief and get a house number and a signed form saying he already checked the place and you have actually completed the building. With this you go to the ampoe offices and get the blue book for the house. No need for bottles or envelopes...

If you put on a pre-built house, usually no permit from the tambon is needed, but you should check with your local rambon.

I agree go to local/village tambon office where you will get house number I have never shown any plans for a house nor have I ever been asked for amy. Taken required forms on there there is a place where your builder states dimensions of house and a very rough drawing. I only go before I start build as I need house number and paperwork from them so I can get electric and water installed before build. Then at some stage if and when we are in city get a blue book for house. There are no restrictions in my area about size of building ect ect.

Have done 5 now all the same procedure. Quite an easy process. I expect there may be more restrictions and paper work plans ect in city locations

Thanks for the mountain of information regarding this. All the properties I have investigated has papers and can be build on, they are basically rural zoned land. My lady has found out from her family whom is local and own land, that I (she) need to talk to the village administrator who will guide her through the process much easier. They have urged me not to get involved in the initial stages, as foreigners get milked each other way.

On 19/08/2016 at 8:40 PM, douglasspade said:

Thanks for the mountain of information regarding this. All the properties I have investigated has papers and can be build on, they are basically rural zoned land. My lady has found out from her family whom is local and own land, that I (she) need to talk to the village administrator who will guide her through the process much easier. They have urged me not to get involved in the initial stages, as foreigners get milked each other way.

Can't comment 9n what you say about village Administrator? ??? Presume you mean head man. We sort no formal approval just built and have never had any sort of problem. We have twice built on ex rice land which we obviously but up for a year before build and still never had a problem. Only official things were as I said before paperwork for house number. Rough plans exact house sizes and signifier of head man and nearest neighbours and that's all. I was involved from beginning and have never milked as you put it. 

Milking as in buying a property from a private owner and paying through your ears because you are a farang. The land I want are not for sale by the government or agencies, but private owners. It is better that a Thai person buy the land. I Trust my lady fully.  

I do not have a residential visa, and am not allowed to purchase any land or property yet.

My Thai is very bad. Sorry. Google translate does sometimes let me down. The 'village administrator' is like a head person for an area, and has contacts with other settlements and elders who has direct influence on land ownership.

I am learning the Thai system as I go along. For now, I need to buy land first.

Right that explains it then you as you know cannot own land or house as a forigner. When we bought land the wife did all the bargaining then we insisted we got the land valued at main land registry office small fee involved longish wait  (about 5 hrs due to many Thais wamting bank loans on there land and they have to get valuation for this)but worth it. Once we got the price ( now this could work for the seller too if the land is worth more than there asking price which usually in our cases was not) as a couple then started barging again we never paid over the valuation price usualy well under as the people selling land come to us so we know they need the money. Put it out there that your wife is looking to buy and see who comes forward. Remember your wife is Thai so she won't bargain them down to much you have to be in the loop and if you don't like the price say no and walk away. Good luck. Oh yes and I belive I'm right in saying you may have to prove it's your wife's money to buy land not yours or yours given to her!!! Not exactly sure on that as we have never had a problem in that respect as the wife has her own buisness but even so she and I has had to sign a form in land office.

2.4 Thai Spouse:Under Thai real estate law, a Thai spouse of a foreigner may be allowed to buy land or property in Thailand in his or her own name. However the married couple may be asked to sign declarations at the Land Department to state that the funds used are the separate property of the Thai spouse. Any claim on the land or property by the non-Thai spouse could therefore be waived which might be problematic in a divorce case. It could make it difficult for the non-Thai spouse to prove that the land was marital property. In this case, a skillfully draftedThailand prenuptial agreement may help to minimize the risk to the non-Thai spouse.

Edited by Deepinthailand

10 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Can't comment 9n what you say about village Administrator? ??? Presume you mean head man. We sort no formal approval just built and have never had any sort of problem. We have twice built on ex rice land which we obviously but up for a year before build and still never had a problem. Only official things were as I said before paperwork for house number. Rough plans exact house sizes and signifier of head man and nearest neighbours and that's all. I was involved from beginning and have never milked as you put it. 

You so perfectly describe all the official process for the building while claiming you just built without any process....

5 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

You so perfectly describe all the official process for the building while claiming you just built without any process....

Not at all no real process you don't have to go to local office untill the house is finished if you don't want water and electricity through build. I was comenting on the formal approval which was mentioned there is non

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Not at all no real process you don't have to go to local office untill the house is finished if you don't want water and electricity through build. I was comenting on the formal approval which was mentioned there is non

You can tell that to the government officials is Surin Province they will stop you in your tracks.

Edited by khwaibah

11 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Well I don't live in Surin province so I can only tell you about my area. 

Thats why I tell others to get the correct info from there amphur. These changes have been put into place over the pass 12 months and the word is out on the street. What was done a year back does not count and some provinces this change may take longer. 

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

Thats why I tell others to get the correct info from there amphur. These changes have been put into place over the pass 12 months and the word is out on the street. What was done a year back does not count and some provinces this change may take longer. 

i fully understand this my info is less than a month old so still holds true.

If  I might put in my 2  stangs  worth ,talking to  our local   Poo-Yai-Baan ,this evening ,he said you   only need to tell  your local  Poo-Yai- Baan,and when it is about 60-70% compleat  then go to your local  Amphur  and get your house regatration  book,  Amupur  might  want  letter from Poo-Yai-Baan .

This  is  for  an rulal  area  ,towns are a different ball  game .

If you look at TV's visa and immigration forum ,members are always writing saying  why dose  there local office  give different  information  from  other offices ,I think this could be another  example ,Khwaibah's  local  amphur ,obvious  does it by the book , other  amphur's  ,obvious  do not . One day  Thailand will have a joined up government , and thing will  be all the same ...........and again  I might win  the Thai lottery .

6 hours ago, Mosha said:

Only regulation I know of is, you need a functioning bathroom before you have the house connected to the power supply. At least it is where I live.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

A tub of water, a bailer and a nail in the wall for the clothes?