Trump says he regrets comments that may have caused pain

webfact

Trump says he regrets comments that may have caused pain

By JILL COLVIN and STEVE PEOPLES

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — For the first time since declaring his presidential run, Republican Donald Trump acknowledged that his caustic comments may have caused people pain, saying that he regrets some of what he's said "in the heat of debate."

A day after announcing a campaign shake-up and as he trails in the polls, the GOP nominee said that he recognized that his comments — which have angered minorities and alienated large swaths of the general election electorate — may have been ill-advised.

"Sometimes in the heat of debate and speaking on a multitude of issues, you don't choose the right words or you say the wrong thing. I have done that," the GOP nominee, reading from prepared text, said at a rally in Charlotte, N.C. "And believe it or not, I regret it — and I do regret it — particularly where it may have caused personal pain."

He added that, "Too much is at stake for us to be consumed with these issues." As the crowd cheered, Trump pledged to "always tell you the truth."

The remarks came as Trump was trying to rescue a campaign that has struggled since the Democratic and Republican nominating conventions from a series of self-created distractions. Early Wednesday, Trump announced that he was overhauling his operation, bringing in a new chief executive and appointing a new campaign manager.

Rarely do presidential campaigns wait to advertise, or undergo such leadership tumult, at such a late stage of the general election.

Yet Trump has struggled badly in recent weeks to offer voters a consistent message, overshadowing formal policy speeches with a steady stream of self-created controversies, including a public feud with an American Muslim family whose son was killed while serving in the U.S. military in Iraq.

Trump's decision to tap Stephen Bannon, a combative conservative media executive, as his new campaign chief, suggested to some that he planned to double down on the playbook he used in the primary, playing to his angry rally crowds and bouncing from one controversy to the next.

Instead, a new Trump emerged on Thursday: a less combative, more inclusive candidate who said he was running to be the "voice for every forgotten part of this country that has been waiting and hoping for a better future" and for those who "don't hear anyone speaking for them."

Earlier Thursday, Trump moved to invest nearly $5 million in battleground state advertising to address daunting challenges in the states that will make or break his White House ambitions.

The New York businessman's campaign reserved television ad space over the coming 10 days in Florida, North Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania, according to Kantar Media's political ad tracker. While Democrat Hillary Clinton has spent more than $75 million on advertising in 10 states since locking up her party's nomination, Trump's new investment marks his first of the general election season.

Election Day is 81 days away, with early voting in the first states set to begin in five weeks.

In his remarks, Trump struck a new, inclusive tone and tried to appeal directly to non-white voters, shown by polls to an overwhelmingly unfavorable view of the candidate.

"I will not rest until children of every color in this country are fully included in the American Dream," Trump told his audience, again accusing Democratic Hillary Clinton of "bigotry."

Clinton, he claimed, "sees communities of color only as votes and not as human beings worthy of a better future."

He urged African-American voters to give him a chance, saying: "What do you have to lose by trying something new?"

Clinton's campaign, meanwhile, brushed the speech off as just words he read from a teleprompter.

"Donald Trump literally started his campaign by insulting people. He has continued to do so through each of the 428 days from then until now, without shame or regret," said spokeswoman Christina Reynolds in a statement.

"We learned tonight that his speechwriter and teleprompter knows he has much for which he should apologize. But that apology tonight is simply a well-written phrase until he tells us which of his many offensive, bullying and divisive comments he regrets_and changes his tune altogether," she said.

It remains to be seen whether Trump's reboot comes too late, and whether he has the discipline to maintain it.

Trump now trails Clinton in preference polls of most key battleground states. And his party leaders, even at the Republican National Committee, have already conceded they may divert resources away from the presidential contest in favor of vulnerable Senate and House candidates if things don't improve.

But Trump supporters largely accepted the change of tone, even if some saw it as unnecessary.

"It takes a lot of strength to say, 'I'm sorry, ' to admit — not that he was wrong, but he wished he hadn't done it," said Cindy Ammons, 70, a Trump supporter from Spindale, North Carolina, "I think he's evolving," she said.

___

Peoples reported from Washington. AP writers Julie Bykowicz and Lisa Lerer in Washington contributed to this report.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-19

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He's a day late and a dollar short, the damage he did to himself and the many bullies he spent shooting him self in the foot, and in some case putting same foot in his mouth, I mean boy, he will go down in the annals of election's history under the heading " how

not to run a campaign fro the presidency "......

5 minutes ago, AoChalong said:

You mean kind of like he will go down in primary history as the candidate that took on and vanquished 17 primary opponents, and won the largest number of Republican primary votes in history?

Or perhaps the man that gave the Democrats the biggest landslide victory in US election history?

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

Or perhaps the man that gave the Democrats the biggest landslide victory in US election history?

LOL.

You are really assuming that the elections (in November, mind you), will be a landside victory?

Outrageously funny.   She only leads by six points in the latest polls...and you must consider the 3 point error margin.  It is still too close to call, and the polls don't really get accurate until after Labor day.

Hillary has taken so much time off that one must presume her health is decaying...(or her lawyers want her off the air).   In the meantime, Trump is appearing to be working the fringes.

It is going to be pretty close.....   and I suspect his regrets will certainly not hurt.  Damage was done...but still too close to call

Hillary is a walking time bomb of improprieties, lies and deception.  Even if the justice system gives her immunity, the public will eventually tire of her invisible campaign and her issues.

1 minute ago, Thailand said:

Kind of hard for the Democrats to have a landslide when Hillery has a 1 point lead that is shrinking every day... both the latest polls from the LA Times and Rasmussen have it at a 1-2 point difference both within the margin of error and impossible to call at this time.

You need to keep up snowflake, things aren't what they appear to be on CNN... 

1 hour ago, AoChalong said:

Kind of hard for the Democrats to have a landslide when Hillery has a 1 point lead that is shrinking every day... both the latest polls from the LA Times and Rasmussen have it at a 1-2 point difference both within the margin of error and impossible to call at this time.

My name is not snowflake, her name is Hillary and what is CNN? And whomever wins I really don't care.

And if these two are the best that America offer to their people to be their CIC it's a sadder situation than it is here.

2 hours ago, AoChalong said:

Cherry-pick your way out of a discussion. Why not mention that even the Fox news pol had a 10point lead for Clinton?

Edited by RockyBeerbelly

3 hours ago, slipperylobster said:

LOL.

You are really assuming that the elections (in November, mind you), will be a landside victory?

Outrageously funny.   She only leads by six points in the latest polls...and you must consider the 3 point error margin.  It is still too close to call, and the polls don't really get accurate until after Labor day.

Hillary has taken so much time off that one must presume her health is decaying...(or her lawyers want her off the air).   In the meantime, Trump is appearing to be working the fringes.

It is going to be pretty close.....   and I suspect his regrets will certainly not hurt.  Damage was done...but still too close to call

Hillary is a walking time bomb of improprieties, lies and deception.

Even if the justice system gives her immunity, the public will eventually tire of her invisible campaign and her issues.

I like your post, it is to the point, however you made a spelling mistake.

You mention Hillary, instead of trump.

just want to point this out to you.

Edited by dutchisaan

3 hours ago, slipperylobster said:

LOL.

Hillary is a walking time bomb of improprieties, lies and deception.

Even if the justice system gives her immunity, the public will eventually tire of her invisible campaign and her issues.

Fox News fan, are we?

3 hours ago, Buzzz said:

Trump sounds damn near human when he reads a prepared statement. 

Looks like the new campaign manager won't be letting Trump share his real thoughts.

Smart. 

He will soon be back in his old style, constantly shooting him self in the foot.

14 minutes ago, Skywalker69 said:

Haha another lame attempt to besmirch hillarys toughest opponent yet.

This is the difference between mr trump and these politicians like crooked hillary.

mr trump will speak his mind ….while hillary will act like mother theresa in public and plot stuff like this away from the public eye.

29 minutes ago, Skywalker69 said:
11 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

This is the difference between mr trump and these politicians like crooked hillary.

mr trump will speak his mind ….while hillary will act like mother theresa in public and plot stuff like this away from the public eye.

I did a word search for Hillary, Clinton, and Hillary Clinton in the article. Didn't find it. But I'm sure you wouldn't claim Clinton is behind this without some hard evidence.  Please share it with us.

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I did a word search for Hillary, Clinton, and Hillary Clinton in the article. Didn't find it. But I'm sure you wouldn't claim Clinton is behind this without some hard evidence.  Please share it with us.

So now I need evidence …. why?….because I mentioned hillary

Wheres the evidence that trump raped a child?

All that exists is someone accusing him…someone who could have been a hillary stooge…like the Paki soldiers father.

23 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

What is disturbing is that it seems that for you it doesnt matter what vomit comes out of Trumps mouth, as long as the vomit comes from his mind. The fact that you keep on referring to the creep as "mr" says it all......

8 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

All that exists is someone accusing him…someone who could have been a hillary stooge…like the Paki soldiers father.

You mean the father of the American soldier who died in action?

10 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I await with interest the comments of other Trump supporters about your characterization of Captain Khan  as a "Paki soldier'"  

@Post 3 AoChalong

A correction and clarification to your erroneous statements:

Trump got the most GOP votes ever — both for and against him — and other fun facts

"1. Trump got more more votes in a Republican nominating contest than anyone on record."

"2. But Trump also had more votes against him."

Add to that, the fact that Sec. Clinton is ahead in all the battleground states as well.

I know facts are hard for the Trumpeteers to digest but, I hope this clears things up for you...

1.png

2.png

Edited by iReason

57 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Clinton Beats Trump Among College-Educated in Bloomberg Poll.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-07-12/college-poll

When looking at the clip below one will know that many of the Trump woters dont have to many braincells. The clip is hilarious.

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Donald Trump Accused of Raping 13-Year-Old in Federal Lawsuit.