Best rates fixed retirement account and more.

Apologies if this have been covered before and my lack of time to do a long search and reading so consider this an update with some additional information added please August 2016.

Time to renew the fixed deposit account.  

1-What is the best rate I can get at SCB pattaya.  Should be the same at any location, yes?  Long term is fine.
2-Best rates at other banks?
3-Also is it true that with an unused account (some or all)  in Thailand over a year, you lose (all the money in) the account?

On the SCB website I found no rates or lengths.  After phoning the call center three times trying to manage their menus this is the best I heard: 12 month fixed 1.3% at SCB.

4- 12 months is the longest they offer now?  

5-How can I get better than 1.3% on this type of account for retirement visa purposes?

Also please do not forget to get your tax withholding refund each year (if allowed) as they tell me you can not waive the tax withholding from these accounts.  

5-Is that true?

Try the Krung Sri bank, I get 2%+ on term deposits on call, meaning, you can withdraw

any time you like no penalty,

also, when it comes to large amount deposit in the millions, the trick is to spread

the deposit on few saving accounts and thus you don't pay income on your interests

earn, only after you have earned B.20,000 you start to pay tax, but than you close

the account and start all over again, perfectly legal.....

Spend it and enjoy your money!

After the tax deduction, you will wonder why you made the deposit at so low interest,  after you get so little back!

The little you get back inflation will reduce it even more when you go to spend it.

If you are using the bank funds to apply for a retirement extension, I'm told some Immigration Offices are telling retirees they prefer to see the Thai bank funds in a savings account, not a fixed account. They also like to see periodic withdrawals as well.

:coffee1:

Best to separate the 800k on deposit from your day to day spending money, put the 800k into a fixed rate deposit and forget about it. BTW even though it's a fixed rate for a specified period of time, it's not a fixed term, you can withdraw it any time, with loss of interest of course.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Try the Krung Sri bank, I get 2%+ on term deposits on call, meaning, you can withdraw

any time you like no penalty,

also, when it comes to large amount deposit in the millions, the trick is to spread

the deposit on few saving accounts and thus you don't pay income on your interests

earn, only after you have earned B.20,000 you start to pay tax, but than you close

the account and start all over again, perfectly legal.....

Which is that?

The best they have is a nine month step up with an average interest of 1.6%.

I am unanware of any term deposit that allows interest free withdrawals. That would sort of negate the "term".

UOB gave me 1.91% for 12 months interest paid monthly. Branch on West side of 2nd Road about Soi 13/4. I think it was 3 million minimum though.  The other banks were offering very short terms like 4 months. Income tax withheld is not a problem. Get a statement from the bank at year end and get a refund. I think you have have to have over 300,000 in income before you pay tax. The people at the tax office have always been very helpful when it comes to filing.

One interesting aspect of getting monthly interest payments is if you cash out before the fixed deposit matures they will deduct gross interest paid from the principal amount meaning you still have to file a return to get the tax withheld.

2 minutes ago, akentryan said:

UOB gave me 1.91% for 12 months interest paid monthly. Branch on West side of 2nd Road about Soi 13/4. I think it was 3 million minimum though.  The other banks were offering very short terms like 4 months. Income tax withheld is not a problem. Get a statement from the bank at year end and get a refund. I think you have have to have over 300,000 in income before you pay tax. The people at the tax office have always been very helpful when it comes to filing.

One interesting aspect of getting monthly interest payments is if you cash out before the fixed deposit matures they will deduct gross interest paid from the principal amount meaning you still have to file a return to get the tax withheld.

How long ago was it that you started that fixed deposit?

A German bank has started charging customers for looking after their money. The rest will follow. It's just a matter of time. With central banks around the world creating digital money for their little brothers to play with, they don't need our pittances any more. Sales of safes are starting to boom. It's an ill wind. . . 

The Bank of Thailand publishes fixed deposit rates for all Thai banks at:

https://www.bot.or.th/english/statistics/financialmarkets/interestrate/_layouts/application/interest_rate/IN_Rate.aspx

However, that only goes out to 24 months.  ThaiMBA publishes rates going out to 36 months, but only in Thai:

http://www.thaibond.com/bond_info/bankrate.aspx

However, the best rates are often for irregular maturities (e.g. 5 or 11 months), and you can only find these, AFAIK, on individual bank websites.

11 hours ago, akentryan said:

What date did that 1.91% start, UOB haven't had anything like that for months? Although they do have a 2% six months deal but it's an insurance product and not a fixed rate.

8 minutes ago, Oxx said:

The Bank of Thailand publishes fixed deposit rates for all Thai banks at:

https://www.bot.or.th/english/statistics/financialmarkets/interestrate/_layouts/application/interest_rate/IN_Rate.aspx

However, that only goes out to 24 months.  ThaiMBA publishes rates going out to 36 months, but only in Thai:

http://www.thaibond.com/bond_info/bankrate.aspx

However, the best rates are often for irregular maturities (e.g. 5 or 11 months), and you can only find these, AFAIK, on individual bank websites.

The BOT is pretty standard stuff but doesn't include the all important specials that each bank offers from time to time.

1. SCB dont have very good rates so I dont follow them.

2. Best I know of currently is 2% at CIMB.

3. No. Banks may make a small monthly charge on accounts that are unused for a long time and have a very small balance. Eventually the balance may reach zero.

4. See 1

5. Not sure what you mean by waive in this context but with most banks there is no way of avoiding the tax on TDs, though it can be reclaimed as you mention.

13 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

I am unanware of any term deposit that allows interest free withdrawals. That would sort of negate the "term".

Bizarrely enough, all Thai TDs seem to allow for withdrawal/closure before the end of the term. Though if you do it they either pay no interest at all or pay only their standard interest rate rather than the headline rate of the term deposit.

I also have never heard of a Thai TD that allows early withdrawals whilst still getting the headline interest rate.

20 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

A German bank has started charging customers for looking after their money. The rest will follow. It's just a matter of time. With central banks around the world creating digital money for their little brothers to play with, they don't need our pittances any more. Sales of safes are starting to boom. It's an ill wind. . . 

The banks with negative interest rates are going to find their depositors are fleeing to other banks that pay interest,or even to banks in other countries. Where did these geniuses get the idea people would pay them to hold their money?

Why bother with fixed income securities, while real-estate developers in Pattaya offer an annual yield of 10 % within the Condo-Circus. Guaranteed!! :) Of course, nobody has so far been able to isolate the final granter of such "guarantees". (Who is guarding the Guards comes to mind).

Cheers.

Archived