Thailand rejects request to extradite Canadian suspected of robbing Singapore bank

rooster59

Thailand rejects request to extradite Canadian suspected of robbing Singapore bank

Thai Attorney-General's Office says it is 'not in the position to consider' request to send Canadian to S'pore

Singapore's efforts to extradite a suspect in the Holland Village bank heist have hit a snag in Thailand. The Attorney-General's Office in Bangkok has rejected its request for Canadian national David James Roach.

"We denied it because we are not in the position to consider it," said Mr Amnat Chotchai, director-general of the international affairs department at the Attorney General's Office. He did not elaborate on the reasons.

Roach, 27, is accused of robbing the Holland Village branch of Standard Chartered Bank on July 7, by allegedly handing the teller a note which said he had a weapon.

Full story: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thailand-rejects-request-to-extradite-robbery-suspect

Straits Times: 2016-08-20

Thailand had no problem extraditing a Russian citizen to the US after the Americans had lured him to Thailand by posing as Columbian rebels.

(Well, they had no problem arresting Bout, did have some trouble extraditing him though, especially after the shenanigans the Americans tried to pull when they attempted to illegally sneak him out of the country in the middle of the night.) Eventually they did allow him to be extradited though as it was becoming too much of a political nightmare and they just wanted to be done with it.

Not sure why they wouldn't extradite a Canadian though. It's not like we (Canada) will do anything about it. I have zero faith that my government would do anything at all to assist me if the need arose, unless it was in the last 3 months before an election that looked to be a close one. Otherwise all they might do is announce that I'd been paid a consular visit (maybe) and that's it.

The issue Kerryd is that Thailand has an extradition deal with the US and UK and Canada it seems that Singapore did not think one was needed.

What surprises me and will probably get looked at closely is that ASEAN does not have that built into the agreement.

You would think that it would have been.

As to Canadian gov't involvement under the S.O.P. that is leading the country there is no way he will do anything.  Canada is about to become Obama light or shades of Pierre.  I wonder if his wife will follow his mother and go smoke a joint with the stones.

Edited by kingstonkid

Current management has a lot of animosity towards singapore….esp since mr T uses that place as one of his bases….and has a LOT of money stashed there…thais are also pissed in some small part that singapore telecom bought a controlling stake in AIS. 

17 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Current management has a lot of animosity towards singapore….esp since mr T uses that place as one of his bases….and has a LOT of money stashed there…thais are also pissed in some small part that singapore telecom bought a controlling stake in AIS. 

And the Songkran thing?

29 minutes ago, Bunker said:

He's yours - now give us Red Bull jnr.

Certainly would be a good bargaining tool.......however, we all have doubts that the Red Bull guy is actually in Singapore.....he's in Thailand and part of the untouchable!

I'm sure Singapore would be pleased hand him over in any case.......

"...We denied it because we are not in the position to consider it..."

Well, that sounds like the appropriate obfuscating we expect from a senior Thai Civil Servant, especially as he did not elaborate on the reasons!

ManyQuestions.jpg

More importantly, what happens to the ฿700,000 in (presumably) undeclared cash that Roach had brought into the country? No wonder the Thais want to send him far, far away from Singapore.

Edited by waldroj
Problem with the image!

If they thought about it, helping Singapore could have allowed then to makes requests for the extradition of persons Thailand wants. Probably to logical for them to grasp the concept even if they are all part of ASEAN

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

The issue Kerryd is that Thailand has an extradition deal with the US and UK and Canada it seems that Singapore did not think one was needed.

What surprises me and will probably get looked at closely is that ASEAN does not have that built into the agreement.

As to Canadian gov't involvement under the S.O.P. that is leading the country there is no way he will do anything.  Canada is about to become Obama light or shades of Pierre.  I wonder if his wife will follow his mother and go smoke a joint with the stones.

You bring up a good point KK.  

I don't think the the "ruling elite" thieves would want this, considering the standard Modus Operandi is to blag and run like hell when the RTP kindly let everyone know that they are considering issuing a warrant to "politely" ask you to come for a chat after your multi billion Baht theft is inconveniently made public....

TIT :cheesy:

40 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Why did they arrest him in the first place???? Anyone has an answer to that?

They wanted to show they're tough on crime….but also that they are savvy about international law and extradition treaties.

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

It's an auction! :w00t: Sold to the highest bidder.

"Yesterday the Canadian embassy came to see him. We think the Canadians would like to send him back to Canada but first we need to follow Thai legal procedure."

Thailand has an extradition treaty with Canada.

Reuters was unable to immediately reach the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok for comment.

quote:-https://www.yahoo.com/news/suspected-singapore-bank-robber-sent-abroad-thai-police-055204471.html

Seems your spot on Briggsy!

2 hours ago, waldroj said:

"...We denied it because we are not in the position to consider it..."

Well, that sounds like the appropriate obfuscating we expect from a senior Thai Civil Servant, especially as he did not elaborate on the reasons!

ManyQuestions.jpg

More importantly, what happens to the ฿700,000 in (presumably) undeclared cash that Roach had brought into the country? No wonder the Thais want to send him far, far away from Singapore.

What 700,000 Baht I think you may find by now.

1 hour ago, Raymonddiaz said:

"...Roach was arrested on July 9 in Bangkok's Boxpackers Hostel after Singapore police alerted their Thai counterparts..."

Arrest first, sort out the extradition/deportation (and the ฿700,000) later!

would be funny if thailand sends him to canada….who then deport him to singapore.

he might argue successfully that he won't get a fair trial there as the judges are …..hmmm, best not to say….

plus singapore has just passed a law saying that you cant criticise a ruling made by a judge…or you go to jail….yikes!

Edited by JHolmesJr

5 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

makes you wonder where all the tax dollars go,,,  oops forgot ,,, to lifetime welfare recipients

ex kingstonian

4 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

..makes absolutely no sense....

...hope someone demands a detailed explanation...

From what I interpreted reading the whole article, Thailand doesn't have an extradition treaty with Singapore, so the person speaking in the article can't make the decision to extradite. He's waiting for decisions from higher up at this time. Thailand may be playing hardball due to some resentment with Singapore, but they've held the guy for a month on immigration offenses and must release/deport him soon. Canada wants him, and Thailand has a treaty with them, but Canada doesn't have a treaty with Singapore, so that's where things get mucky. At least, I think that's the skinny. 

Edited by Inn Between

4 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

Canada wants him, and Thailand has a treaty with them, but Canada doesn't have a treaty with Singapore...

thanks for clarifying…. interesting that the canadians don't have a treaty with singapore…the singaporeans will be livid. They look a bit silly now.

Edited by JHolmesJr

6 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

..makes absolutely no sense....

...hope someone demands a detailed explanation...

There is no extradition treaty between Singapore and Thailand.  Is that enough detail?

6 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

If they thought about it, helping Singapore could have allowed then to makes requests for the extradition of persons Thailand wants. Probably to logical for them to grasp the concept even if they are all part of ASEAN

Or maybe they suggested that.  Singapore said no.  And Thailand gave Singapore a big international middle finger.  

Not saying that happened but you can't just read a news story an assume that what is printed is in fact the entire story.  That is hardly ever the case anywhere.  

6 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

He wasn't technically arrested, he was detained at IDC because Thailand revoked his permission to stay in view of the Singapore warrant.  There's a good chance that as he had committed no arrestable offence in Thailand he is no longer here, IDC do not keep people without visas indefinitely, they deport them.

7 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Things would be a lot more peaceful on this planet if everyone smoked a joint once in a while.