Parking your Car in Chiang Mai

Dazinoz

Lately I have had an increasing number of people come out of their shops when I park and tell me I can not park there.

These are just shops on normal roads. I do not park in front of any with a visible access from the road (ramp). No no parking signs visible. Seems mostly to be massage shops but have been others too. One Farang told me not to park as I was in front of his restaurant. I parked one night in front of the temple in Kampangding Road off Loi Kroh for a trip to a bar. I drank a little too much so stayed at a hotel. When I went back to my car in the morning i was surrounded by the food vendors and their carts and telling me I can't park there.

The other day I got into a bit of a heated argument with a lady who worked at a massage shop. I parked and she waited till I finished parking and get out of car and start to work off when she say no park here. I asked her where the signs were to tell me I couldn't. She pointed to a hand written sign taped to their portable shop sign on the footpath. After some discussion she got angry and and threw her cigarette at me. 

Does anyone know the regulations on this or where I could find them. I don't mind following the city rules but not made up by shop owners so no one can park in front of their shop? 

Yes I know I am in Thailand but I bought a new car here, pay my taxes on it, buy fuel and generally spend a lot here so would like to be able to park my car.

Edited by Dazinoz
spelling errors

Unless kerb markings or official signage says otherwise, it is unlawful for shops, restaurants or any other business to deny parking.  Some areas where food vendors set up may be signed as 'no parking after x time' by local police for market stalls [eg outside talad mai hia] which is fair enough though not necessarily 100% kosher!

There was a recent article about this, perhaps here on TVF, and it has become a hot potato in many regions so stand your ground and/or call police? 

There's a certain jewelry outlet at the Changklan Road end of Chiang Mai Land Rd which uses steel barriers to block off their 'tourist bus' parking space 24/7 ... I have moved one of the barriers onto the sidewalk or simply double parked alongside in the past and I think they KNOW I have the right as nothing ever said!

It's an unwritten law that the space in front of shops and restaurants are for use by their customers. If you like, you  can argue with them and tell them it's your right, but since most people observe the unwritten law it will only put you in conflict with them. To make life easier it might be best to go along with the local custom rather than spending all your time getting angry and having confrontations. Up to you.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

30 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

And if you do decide to go against the flow, be prepared for a few paint jobs in your future, in Phuket I had to pay for key scratches to my SUV on three occasions.

Fair comment although not relevant to many CM instances of blockading kerb space.  Tourist area mafia [especially in HKT] are one thing, arrogant shopkeepers another.  There are some privately owned soi's, Sansabai for example, in Patong where parking is owned.

42 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

And if you do decide to go against the flow, be prepared for a few paint jobs in your future, in Phuket I had to pay for key scratches to my SUV on three occasions.

I parked beside the temple just down the street from the lost book store a couple of years ago, maybe 30 minutes. Came back to the truck, a scratch on my tailgate, people from the shop opposite looking to see what I would do. What can you do? I never go down there in my vehicle now, park at Kad Suan Kaew, song taew into the old city, costs a total of 50 baht, much cheaper than paint.

Yes, these little outfits like to 'claim' the pavement and road in front of their shops. Irritating, but what can you do? Could always call the Tourist Police (1155) but probably best not go against the flow. One is often dealing with adult-kids in these scenarios. Certainly if drinking, consider leaving car at home and making use of tuk-tuks/songthaews. Easy.

Ive had nails put under both back tyres once when I was up doing a tourist run to Mae Sai a few years back.  Luckily a passenger spotted them before we reversed out of the parking space.  Obviously the shop owner wasnt happy that I parked in front of 'his' shop with out buying anything from his shop.

Apparently they were watching intently when we returned to the vehicle.... when I raised up the offending nails that had been wedged between the tyres and road, the shop keeper looked away quickly and then made themselves busy doing nothing.  The missus has eagle eyes and spotted their reaction.  Loss of face surely occurred in this instance.

In Chiang Mai if I take a 4 wheel vehicle into the city, I ask the shop keeper if its ok to park out front.... if they arent happy then I apologise and ask where is a good place to park.  It sort of turns the tables and they do their best not to offend.  

Normally tho I take the bike..... easy to park anywhere.

There was a clamp down not so long ago , but as always lots of reporting in the media for one day and then nothing.

Had a argument also last time with a massage shop sort of woman , when i asked her is she would like me to call the police she backed of.

I did not leave my car alone there , just waited for someone.

This  pic is of the most irritating shop in CM in my opinion..

Never see that space open or any car parked.

14075014_10209697804979588_273601832_o.jpg

20 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

There was a clamp down not so long ago , but as always lots of reporting in the media for one day and then nothing.

Had a argument also last time with a massage shop sort of woman , when i asked her is she would like me to call the police she backed of.

I did not leave my car alone there , just waited for someone.

This  pic is of the most irritating shop in CM in my opinion..

Never see that space open or any car parked.

14075014_10209697804979588_273601832_o.jpg

They've been getting away with that one for 20 years or more, and like you say, you never see customers or staff using it.

When I visited CM a few weeks ago I found it easy to park my car, (I'm used to BKK) . But I try to park in one of the many side sois and walk 200 meters to avoid any troubles with vendors.  I love walking so not a problem. 

Thanks for the comments.

Sometimes I just forget I am in Thailand. I find it hard to accept people here are so selfish and can do what they want any not care about anyone else.

I will just do what I can to survive.

5 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Thanks for the comments.

Sometimes I just forget I am in Thailand. I find it hard to accept people here are so selfish and can do what they want any not care about anyone else.

You are not talking about most of the people here.  Perhaps you miss all the good ones when you forget where you are.  

5 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Thanks for the comments.

If you are going to live here and be happy you would be best avoiding the judgemental views like 'they do what they want and don't care'. First of all, what applies to some people doesn't apply to everyone and secondly, very often your judgements will be based on your cultural norms and not theirs.

If you're not careful you could quite quickly become a miserable, negative cynic and there are enough of them here already. Loosen up and open your mind. The danger is that every time someone does something different to what you might expect you judge it as being 'stupid'. If you try your best to avoid thinking that they are stupid, and instead consider that it may just be a cultural difference you'll be a lot happier. 

If you ever find yourself starting sentences with 'These people are so ....... ' followed by an insult, it's time to go home.

Love it here ,to me it is living in paradise, nice weather nice people and even the food is ok. I think people in my home country are more selfish, and don't care about others.

If it is so bad here why do so many people move here and call it home.

If you feel trapped here for whatever reason keep all your twisted bitterness to yourself, we really don't care.

What about the soi that run's down where kantary hills is.  Does this belong to the hotel or can I move the cones and just park?

mnUe0nf.png

I also see some movable barrier on Soi Sukkasem opposite "Try Umm New York Cafe", guess can move that too, or is that by the police? 

VgUjFnm.png

While on the subject, I see no parking odd/even days but everyone always parks on the south side of "Soi Sukkasem" everyday since the North side doesn't have many spots, is it just okay to park on south side any day because its not enforced here, but not okay on other nimman sois?

i0FUkN9.png

Does nimman allow parking on the red/white no parking zone late at night for the warm up crowd?  Seems to be filled with cars with some parking helpers people with flashlights.