Philippine president threatens to quit UN over ‘stupid’ criticism of drug war

webfact

21 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I agree that the Philippines is much more welcoming for foreigners than Thailand, but they need to start looking closer to home also. All the targets of the drugs killings seem to be those at the very bottom of the ladder, who literally have next to nothing to begin with - maybe a few hours zonked out is preferable to the relentless, daily grind of poverty. I haven't seen any rich and powerful kingpin lying sprawled on the pavements with a cardboard placard declaring him a pusher. Poverty in the Philippines is absolutley gob smacking in scale. Tackling this should be his priority.

poverty is not a justification for spreading poison. there billions of poor people on the Earth but only some of them become drug sellers.

sell drugs? get a bullet. you didn't deserve anything else.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

oh really?

so why in Singapore, which kills people for drugs, heroin usage is THE LOWEST IN THE WORLD?

Yet, even Singapore has heroin and meth addicts. Even with strict limitations on freedom, using the cane and the death penalty, they can not get rid of drugs either.

Edited by Ulysses G.

23 hours ago, Pib said:

He's one thin-skinned elected dictator....his way or the highway.  

Wonder what so many Filipinos were thinking when electing him.  Heck, I lived 5 years in the P.I. during the Marcos regime when political control was very tight...sounds like Duterte is going to make Marcos look like a gentle and kind dictator. 

He was the mayor of Davao for so long because the people of Davao kept re electing him at every election for 20 years. He must have been doing something right because the law abiding people loved him.

46 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

oh really?

so why in Singapore, which kills people for drugs, heroin usage is THE LOWEST IN THE WORLD?

in fact it's just you, leftists, who want to convince everybody that "drug war does not work" because you need drug users as a 100% controlled voters who will always vote for leftists who give them free drugs (like in Germany, for example).

A lot of progressive liberals who have wormed their way into Western politics were in their younger days university students. Taking drugs even if it was only a joint or two of marijuana was a way of life for the years they were at these emporiums of education. It's also where they were indoctrinated with Marxism, left wing political views and their devotion to multiculturalism.

They're bound to have a degree of sympathy for those who take drugs. It's been bred into 'em. They'd have soon changed their tune if they had to go out and work for a living.

1 hour ago, Matt96 said:

poverty is not a justification for spreading poison. there billions of poor people on the Earth but only some of them become drug sellers.

sell drugs? get a bullet. you didn't deserve anything else.

That is an easy statement to make when you are relatively comfortable and secure. Desperation can be a powerful motivator.

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

A lot of progressive liberals who have wormed their way into Western politics were in their younger days university students. Taking drugs even if it was only a joint or two of marijuana was a way of life for the years they were at these emporiums of education. It's also where they were indoctrinated with Marxism, left wing political views and their devotion to multiculturalism.

They're bound to have a degree of sympathy for those who take drugs. It's been bred into 'em. They'd have soon changed their tune if they had to go out and work for a living.

So progressive liberals 'worm' their way into politics, unlike the fine upstanding right that gets there through honourable methods?

Actually, there is so much wrong with your post that I suspect that you are either trolling or repeating the output of some bot designed to spit out typical right-wing non sequiturs.

When he was mayor of Davao he bought in seriously stiff penalties for pi$$ing in public, spitting in public, littering, bought in Korean investors (who financially supported his campaign). Davao was named as one of the cleanest cities in the world. He has received international recognition for what he did for Davao. He is a man of his word and gets things done. Sure I would think he has carved a bit of money out of the feed trough but at least he gets things done as well. He would do well in most Asian countries and clean the place up. As for not getting the big fish in the drugs he has earmarked several very prominent politicians for protecting drug dealers. He is concentrating on the drug lords at the moment but has announced a list of high level politicians, government officials etc who he will be looking at next. These have been banned from leaving the country until the investigations are complete. There is no inactive posts. Many very senior police, right to the top, are now languishing in jail. He is a go getter. He will get the job done then start on corruption.

On 22/08/2016 at 9:25 AM, Andaman Al said:

Well it seems he was very successful as Mayor, so that is why people were ready to vote him in to the top job. I think that if you are a corrupt official or politician making money from drugs then you need to be afraid. Everyone else is ok. I am unsure why many on here are criticising him, it seems after all he is just Trump without the money, and there are a few Trump lovers on this thread. It is obviously impossible to approve of extra judicial killings but the guy is doing exactly what he said he would do in his manifesto. About two weeks ago he read out loud at a press conference the names of over 300 judges, lawyers, policemen etc that he believes are corrupt. He said, prove to me I am wrong or get out. Hard but fair.

As regards the UN, once again there are MANY on this forum that criticise it for being an ineffective organization. Duterte is just saying what many think, only he seemed to add the word shit a few too many times. I am sure in his own language he was a little more eloquent. Whatever we think seems irrelevant the people in the Philippines seem to love him - all the good people that is.

I am resident in the Philippines and this guy is the goods. 

He is tough and honest the media running dogs of the rich who want to rule the Philippines and profit from the drug trade will do almost anything to try to get rid of him. 

I believe he will be very effective in the Philippines. 

The police are delighted as he is a great supporter of them and corruption is rapidly declining. I am a big fan. 

21 minutes ago, rosst said:

I am resident in the Philippines and this guy is the goods. 

He is tough and honest the media running dogs of the rich who want to rule the Philippines and profit from the drug trade will do almost anything to try to get rid of him. 

I believe he will be very effective in the Philippines. 

The police are delighted as he is a great supporter of them and corruption is rapidly declining. I am a big fan. 

nothign is changing. it is just people doing corruption and drug deals are changing.  After the dust settles down, it will turn back to normal. It is all about rant i believe.

and killing people on the roads like dogs is a way to kill corruption and crime or drugs? it just creates more corruption and crime!  this Duerte is a bloody guy, not obeying laws and is he expecting to solve the crime by doing crime?   c'mon!

2 hours ago, Galactus said:

nothign is changing. it is just people doing corruption and drug deals are changing.  After the dust settles down, it will turn back to normal. It is all about rant i believe.

People in the Philippines are generally way nicer than people in Thailand.

None of the clear and open hate for foreigners you see in Thailand.

47 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

yeah. very friendly that is why many foreigners get kidnapped and mostly killed there in Philippines.

151014155146-philippines-hostages-video-

3 minutes ago, Galactus said:

yeah. very friendly that is why many foreigners get kidnapped and mostly killed there in Philippines.

I guess you haven't been there, I would thought the same thing before I went there.

All countries have iffy areas, most people are sensible enough to avoid them.

Silly people can always find a bit of trouble.

Edited by MissAndry

1 hour ago, MissAndry said:

It must be rough being a Farang woman in Thailand.  No one hates me - nothing but smiles and courtesy.  

1 minute ago, Scotwight said:

It must be rough being a Farang woman in Thailand.  No one hates me - nothing but smiles and courtesy.  

Looks like you already assimilated the local hate of all people white.

But no matter how you speak about other white people, it won't ever stop you being 'farang'.

10 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

I guess you haven't been there, I would thought the same thing before I went there.

i live in Thailand for ten years and been everywhere and every single province for work and pleasure including southernmost states.

i never felt any danger, not even a single bad look or hints of any aggression and forget about kidnapping of course.

but yeah, there are similarities on this unlawful and bloody drug war going on in Philippines. We have seen the same drug war in Thailand before resulted on extrajudicial killings and same problems. same ole s...it

Mort Sahl, the comedian, once said of a politically controversial actress, "It's possible to dislike her for herself." You might want to think about that.

9 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

But no matter how you speak about other white people, it won't ever stop you being 'farang'.

I'm sure this remark makes sense in some alternative universe. How exactly did Scotwight speak hatefully of white people?

35 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

I said nothing negative about white people.  White skin is a status symbol ( see skin care product sales) in Thailand why would I want to stop being a Farang?  I've found that happiness in Thailand is mainly a matter of Karma.  

I have.  With armed guards outside every grocery store, department store, bank, etc.  I have to say I didn't feel very safe.  Saw hidden hand guns fairly often.  Not many foreigners are kidnapped here.  Many are in the PI.

http://www.manilatimes.net/drug-killings-an-international-issue-now/281447/

23 Aug 16 front page article from Manila Times...partial quote below.

First Read
Because in the first draft of this column, I used the word “Draconian” to describe the unprecedented measures that President Duterte has adopted in his war on drugs, I was led by my research to the story of Draco, from whose name the word was taken.

In the Encyclopedia Britannica, I found this entry on Draco:

“Draco also spelled Dracon (7th Century BC), Athenian lawgiver whose harsh code punished both trivial and serious crimes in Athens with death – hence the continued use o f the word “draconian” to describe repressive legal measures.

“The six junior archons or magistrates, are said by Aristotle to have been instituted in Athens after 683 to record the laws. If this is correct, Draco’s code was not the first reduction of Athenian law to writing, but it may have been the first comprehensive code.

“The code was later regarded as intolerably harsh, punishing trivial crimes with death; it was probably unsatisfactory to contemporaries, since Solon, the archon in 594 BC, later repealed Draco’s code and published new laws.

An international issue now
This excursion into Draco’s story is a way of introducing my theme today, that President Duterte’s war on drugs and the over a thousand drug killings are no longer just a national issue; they are an international issue now.

The name “Duterte” is now known all over the world and carried by innumerable newspapers and news media. It has taken a seat for notoriety beside the likes of Hugo Chavez and Osama bin Laden at a time when the world has started to forget them.

Gosh! For a Philippian he sure has a lot of balls compared to the ones I know. Not like them to be so forceful. He is right in a way though, in that the UN is a Toothless Tiger.

But he is also wrong in thinking that executing drug dealers is going to stop the drug problem in his country. As long as there is big money involved in drug dealing, and you have poverty, you are always going to have 2 people willing to take the place of the one you just executed for dealing in drugs. It never ends.    

On 8/22/2016 at 8:13 AM, Pib said:

He's one thin-skinned elected dictator....his way or the highway.  

Wonder what so many Filipinos were thinking when electing him.  Heck, I lived 5 years in the P.I. during the Marcos regime when political control was very tight...sounds like Duterte is going to make Marcos look like a gentle and kind dictator. 

Person living in Thailand under Prayut Chanocha, complaining about Philippine president ....... I had to laugh.

18 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Person living in Thailand under Prayut Chanocha, complaining about Philippine president ....... I had to laugh.

The Philippine guy has killed 900 drug dealers and is going to prosecute 5 generals.  See the difference?

To find similarities one would have go back to Thaksin

ThailandWarOnDrugs.jpg