divorce due to gambling debts

beammeup

A sad story but probably not untypical. My wife has run up some gambling debts to a couple million. The problem is that she has forges some land documents in order to borrow money. The lenders found out about the scam and have contacted the authorities. She is asking for a divorce so the fallout doesnt land on me or our kids. She says she is just going to go to court and take what they give her. Does anyone know what she will get for a 2 mil fraud?

Seems like she has committed two offences….

forgery/ criminal fraud

Thord offence is that she has roped you into it.

Decouple instantly….if they find out about your existence they will definitely come after you unofficially…

2 ways to go about it.

- Find out where the court proceedings will take place & who will be the judge. Talk to them with a soft somber voice, like a Dutch Uncle. And don't forget to hand over the brown envelope with content. It may result in a misdemeanor verdict.  OR:

- Dis-associate yourself from the woman in any which way and do it fast. Otherwise you are "in it".

Cheers.

i have seen so many of these cases,the trust between you is no longer there,so you have to call it a day.

one good thing to come out of this [if there is one] is that the money has been lent by finance co.and not loan sharks.

if she has been borrowing elswhere then you have to go now,so tread carefully.

Yes, take the advice about severing, but maybe before try to get a feel for what other loans she may have out and to who so you can have some idea of what type of heat might be coming your way.  If she has loans from legit sources, and has a gambling problem, the chances are pretty good she may owe money to other places or people.

what you need to do immediately, i have seen this before . take yourself and your kids on a extended read 6 months or more till this totally blows over. they will be looking at the deep pocket you even if you dont have them , they will come after you police. leave now not your problem but if you stay it will become your problem

On 8/22/2016 at 1:53 PM, beammeup said:

Any idea what the sentence would be for that type of forgery?

Go to a Thai lawyer, pay some money and get a better idea--all cases are different and then it depends upon who and how important is the plaintiff--of course it helps if you have a trusted lawyer.

On 8/22/2016 at 1:05 PM, petermik said:

Sad story... if this ever happened to me I would have to walk away from the relationship as trust to me is everything,you have been deceived by someone you love :(

True,but at least she is taking responsibility for her actions.

Divorce assets and debts are counted as of the day the divorce is filed. I don't know how the divorce actually can help as you have legal shared responsible for her debts according to Family law and it was accumulated while she was still married to you. I would expect that this change with criminal intent

Your main question is what she will get in a criminal court so I think you do care for her and want to help her. You also need to help your children and yourself first of all at the same time. That is what she tries to do

I have no idea how much she will get for fraud, it will probably take 2-3 years before that is finalized. It will not matter if you protect your children and yourself really, she will still get the same so no reason to not move ahead and act on that 

Letting her divorce you very soon is probably a very good thing to do. It can still be done at the amphur as you both agree. You should discuss with a lawyer with experience in Family law first of all, criminal law comes second actually because criminal law is slow in Thailand and it is easy to find lawyers

On 22/08/2016 at 1:53 PM, beammeup said:

Any idea what the sentence would be for that type of forgery?

Only a guess, but I think it depends on whether she can pay back the 2 million baht or not, or has assets that can be claimed by the leaders to the value of 2 million baht.

If she forged documents to obtain the loan knowing that she has no means to pay it back, then I suppose that is theft and for the large amount of 2 mil, probably will be sent to prison.

Had a live-in GF who would gamble at cards and smoke weed daily at an apartment down the hall. Always a big loser. I told her one more time and I would put all her things in suitcases and leave them outside the door. One more time happened, I did what I promised and received a very loud banging on the door.  Opened the door and received 3 stab wounds in the stomach. No doubt she was egged on by her buddies re loss of face, etc. Be careful is what I am telling you.

Sentencing can vary greatly but had a brother-in-law that got 5 years for working for a company that sold bogus vitamin supplements. Not exactly on point but sentences can be rather severe even if restitution is made

Had a live-in GF who would gamble at cards and smoke weed daily at an apartment down the hall. Always a big loser. I told her one more time and I would put all her things in suitcases and leave them outside the door. One more time happened, I did what I promised and received a very loud banging on the door.  Opened the door and received 3 stab wounds in the stomach. No doubt she was egged on by her buddies re loss of face, etc. Be careful is what I am telling you.

Sentencing can vary greatly but had a brother-in-law that got 5 years for working for a company that sold bogus vitamin supplements. Not exactly on point but sentences can be rather severe even if restitution is made

I have learned over my life that very loud banging on the door never leads to good things...

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

On 8/22/2016 at 1:05 PM, petermik said:

Sad story... if this ever happened to me I would have to walk away from the relationship as trust to me is everything,you have been deceived by someone you love :(

After 22 years of marriage I did exactly that. How do you fix trust when it has been broken by someone you have given your life to?

The OP is specifically asking how long she will get but I still find future for the rest of the family more important and would like to clear that first

I do think that she will go to jail for this but how long I have no idea. There is a range of course and she should get at the lower end somewhere. Education matters -> low education and likely shorter sentence, gambling is a sad story, it is not a mean story, and I cannot see that the court would want to punish the mother as hard as possible for it

I was under the impression that debts incurred while you were married to her are your debts, too- jointly and severally.  If she's got no money, guess what?

If you're going to get hit with them in the end anyway, maybe you can take some proactive steps to keep her out of jail.  Chances are better she can pay off more of them if she isn't in the hoosgaw.

I'd be looking for an attorney.

Maybe too late but lenders may get nothing if it goes to court

A meeting and maybe half on table over 2 yrs, they get 1,000,000, much better than zero, initially try one third

BUT LENDERS HAVE TO STOP POLICE

PM me if you want some more ideas

2 millions are nothing, she will get few months if you can pay them at the end.

If you do not pay she will get year or years, and as you do not want your kids mom behind bars you will pay.

If you really want to escape the whole shat, move to Cambodia !

It appears not many are in a position to help you with your question (what the sentence might be).

I was saddened indeed to read about  your plight but something deep down struck me when you wrote about how she wanted to disentangle you from the whole sorry business.

With all her faults, there is something very honorable in her attitude. Personally, if I had such a person in my life (apart from her being the Mother of your children) I would be very slow to "disown" her.

Divorce by all means if you think that will help but give it time to see how things develop before giving up on her. In my view she has an Addiction (as do I have myself) but there is help available jf you search it out and provided she is willing to take it. After recovery, Addicts can be the finest people in the world.

I was in something of a similar position myself many many moons ago. I was not even married to the lady but my friends thought I was. To a man they all said I will have to leave her or she will drag me back down again with her (I was recovered myself at that time). One man however who knew my story pointed out how she was there for me when I was at my lowest. "Now maybe".... he said....it is time for to you to carry the cross for she (which I did).

It was the best advice I ever got and for many years after I was able to look myself in the mirror without a sense of guilt, (I am only talking about me, nobody else).

Unfortunately, she has spent the last 25 years in a Mental home (we had finished before she went in under normal circumstances).

I just mention about she because I got word about 6 weeks ago that she had passed away. May she R.I.P.

You need to consult with a licensed, competent, seasoned lawyer  specializing in divorce and criminal law.  The sooner the better.

A second opinion is also recommended.

Be sure to ask to see the lawyers license and CV.

Avoid talking to anyone alleging to be a lawyer, but is actually a paralegal.

You may have some financial exposure.

Don't leave the country until your Attorney has the opportunity to examine all the evidence, all the charges that are filed and all her legal fees to date and fines.

Good luck.

Edited by Kabula
Error correction

You don't say Wether you want to divorce her only that she asked for one so as to not bring you down as well. My two penneth worth she obviously thinks a lot of you for starters. She may have commuted a crime sure but that in its self doesn't mean you have to divorce her. I may well stand by her and see what happens. Just because she committed fraud does not make her a lesser wife or mother. She may well learn her lesson on this. Anyway that's my thoughts which will probably be ripped to bits on here but I don't care.

It's easy to say :run,run,run". Here we have a family with the mother who has an illness, yes gambling addiction is an illness. I bailed out my wife over a bad deal which left het holding a debt, to the tune of 1 Mill. Support her, get a good lawyer and at least try to put some of the debt on the table. As for the fraud, as one commentator said cold be a while to settle. Again get a good lawyer, and one that speaks english.Good luck.

As others have said, you should look at getting a lawyer. It will probably take several years for the case to go to trial. If the complaint proceeds quickly make sure you post any bail necessary to keep her out of jail as long as possible. It is just about impossible to fight any charges under the Thai system if she is incarcerated (awaiting trial or an appeal). The sentence will just get longer and longer

If she can come to some arrangement to pay back the money (or even 50% of it) over 5 years, she won't get jailed. Otherwise she might get 3 - 5 years.