divorce due to gambling debts

beammeup

....sounds like she has hidden money away....and doesn't want to share it with you....

...and even if you begin to divorce now....you still owe half of whatever....

...so don't think for a moment she is doing you a favor....

...wow....

Why do posters ask for help from uneducated TV forum sources.......................????????????

TALK TO AN ATTORNEY............. Get the 'right' answers to you inquiry...............

EDITED TO ADD:  TALK TO A FEW ATTORNIES........ You may not find a smart one the first time.............

Edited by sawadeeken

4 hours ago, impulse said:

I was under the impression that debts incurred while you were married to her are your debts, too- jointly and severally.  If she's got no money, guess what?

If you're going to get hit with them in the end anyway, maybe you can take some proactive steps to keep her out of jail.  Chances are better she can pay off more of them if she isn't in the hoosgaw.

I'd be looking for an attorney.

So you think a husband can be complicit in a criminal act of fraud committed by his wife, without his knowledge?

Edited by rapom

I really feel for this guy and his kids. Your wife has a serious addiction that is no different to alcohol or drug or food or sex addictions. I am not sure if good professional help is available in this country, others on here may know. Only you can know if you want to stand by your wife. A very difficult choice because you have been betrayed and lied to probably for quite a while with lies compounded on lies. My sister in law also had a similar thing where she sold the land /houses at knock down prices to finance her gambling addiction. Fortunately my wife bought the land and houses back, but that relationship is totally f+*%d. Can you ever trust her again? If she walks will it deter her from future screwups? Maybe prison will. Tough decisions. But protect yourself and your children first.....your wife had her chance and blew it. Very sad.

Truth is , nobody knows how heavy the sentence will be until the court decides .

All cases are different . IMO Best thing to do now is damage limitation and divorce is the best option for that . Wash your hands of the charges or you will pay. This does not mean walking away from your wife if you don't want to . That's something you will need to think over and not something someone here can tell you to do . Good luck with your plight , stay strong .

Only a technicality, but a lot of people are talking about "trust betrayed" and "deception", although the OP does not indicate that he was unaware that she had a gambling "problem" when he married her or during the marriage, or that the debts were built up without his knowledge.

He doesn't seem very unhappy about it.  He just wants to crunch numbers.

It sounds more like they are seeking a way to minimise the financial liabilities of a shared, irresponsible, bad, "investment".

9 hours ago, rapom said:

So you think a husband can be complicit in a criminal act of fraud committed by his wife, without his knowledge?

No clue.  I doubt he could be held complicit in the crime, but he may be held liable for the debts.  My guess would be that some of the debts were incurred legally, before she got in so deep and turned to fraud to compound the problem.

That's why I'd get the attorney.

Edited by impulse

If your wife has told you she has built up a debt of 2 million Baht I think you should,

1. Confirm that it is actually 2 million and not MORE.

2. Who are the lenders and what she has pledged to them.

Her going to jail (if and when she loses the court case) is most likely the least of her (and your) problems. The lenders will want their money and just divorcing won't put you in the clear. You may need to take bigger steps.

Do as your wife asks..divorce. You can still love and support each other without being married. And when everything is settled you can marry again. If you have kids try and get sole custody till everything is settled.

On 22/08/2016 at 4:05 PM, petermik said:

Sad story... if this ever happened to me I would have to walk away from the relationship as trust to me is everything,you have been deceived by someone you love :(

It's quite clear from the OP post he doesn't want this divorce. Seems he is just getting opinions on outcomes with the law, in hope of saving the day and marriage.

Of course leaving now is a no brainer for most, how can you trust this person ever again, but it seems good guys always finish last.

So OP, dig deep and pay back the money fix this mess your wife created or as others have said, look for those hills.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 5:14 PM, freebyrd said:

After 22 years of marriage I did exactly that. How do you fix trust when it has been broken by someone you have given your life to?

Same here - 26 years of happy marriage, complete change of life style behavior/ visual appearance – from an angel into bitter, unhappy women