Is it safe to walk around Pattaya wearing a Jewish skullcap, star of David, etc.?

Jingthing

This is something I've been wondering about. I would never wear a skullcap (yarmulke, kippa) because I'm not religious but I do identify with the Star of David symbol. It's not a big thing to me to wear it or not, but I've felt for a long time that it would not be safe to walk around Pattaya either wearing a skullcap, star of David, etc.

Though I haven't tried it myself. 

This is kind of ironic to me given we are in Pattaya, the city where supposedly anything goes.

You see people in explicitly Muslim outfits all the time (men with Muslim headgear but more dramatically covered Muslim women, sometimes even full on black face cover) and of course Christian crosses are sported by many a Russian here and also sometimes used just for fashion by many different people.  It's not uncommon to see Thai youth wearing Nazi swastikas and Hitler images, though most aren't aware of what those symbols really mean. Occasionally I've even seen Thai youth wear Stars of David for fashion but I don't think that counts as identifying as a Jew as people would assume they're not actually Jews based on their ethnic appearance. 

Not to mention old sex tourists with prostitutes of both sexes young enough to be their grandkids.

You see all that, commonly here, pretty much every day, and you don't see much negative feedback to any of that.

I have seen negative feedback to ladyboys though, so that's an exception. 

But Jews walking around with skullcaps or Stars of David? That you don't really see here.

I have seen many Israelis around town which I can identify by the language they speak but they generally do not wear any identifying clothing or jewelry. 

I realize most people reading this are not Jewish people so I'll address this mostly to them. Imagine walking around Pattaya wearing things that clearly identified you as a Jew. Honestly, what would your expectations be from the people here? Not so much the Thais of course who don't have  baggage about Jewish people ... the international crowd here.                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Witblitz said:

I wouldnt  wear anything related to the Jewish faith in Pattaya or any other tourist areas in Thailand, given the reputation Israelis have for bad and obnoxious behavior in Thailand  

Thanks for sharing that but that really wasn't the question.

If you DID walk around identifying as a Jewish person (not all are Israeli BTW) what public reactions, IF ANY, would you expect? Do you think it would be safe?

A slim majority of Jews today actually are Israeli. That's just recently happened. It's historic.

The Star of David can be loaded for many. 

It's seen as an ethnic identifier for Jewish people, a classic symbol of the Jewish religious faith, and also it's right on the Israeli flag.

By public I just mean out and about in the usual areas. On beach road, walking street, on baht buses everywhere, etc. 

Personally I don't see wearing a star of David pendant as an Israeli identifier. That would be more like wearing a t-shirt with the actual FLAG on it. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

A slim majority of Jews today actually are Israeli. That's just recently happened. It's historic.

The Star of David can be loaded for many. 

It's seen as an ethnic identifier for Jewish people, a classic symbol of the Jewish religious faith, and also it's right on the Israeli flag.

By public I just mean out and about in the usual areas. On beach road, walking street, on baht buses everywhere, etc. 

Occasionally I've even seen Thai youth wear Stars of David for fashion but I don't think that counts as identifying as a Jew as people would assume they're not actually Jews based on their ethnic appearance. 

That's racist....large number of Jews are white, so how can Israel be their home land as they don't look arab based on their ethnic appearance. ?

As a Jew with a Star of David and Chain that weights about 30 Baht of Gold I keep it in a safe in Switzerland I will not wear it in any country

If I had a cheap worth less than 100,000Thai Baht I will wear it in Pattaya

Edited by HenryB
forgot to add

You'd probably be fine, but why risk it?  Mobs of drunken tourists aren't known for their discretion when they decide they're going the beat the crap out of the first convenient target.

It's happened to guys wearing NY Yankee jackets in the wrong neighborhood.  It's happened to guys wearing earrings in homophobic neighborhoods- even guys who aren't gay.

I'd hate to be on pins and needles every time I walked past a drunk group of Middle Eastern men feeling their oats.  Or a gaggle of drunk Eastern European skinheads.

Edited by impulse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsLvaBNUyY

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Learning-lessons-from-Startup-Thailand-2016-30285129.html  Israel and Thailand have a very close relationship

http://www.jewishthailand.com/      ask them here..

http://www.thephuketnews.com/israel-ambassador-talks-security-tourism-in-phuket-58743.php#QfgcGiTbAr66sDqd.97   Amb Roded (left) also gave Gov Chamroen a copy of the book “Start-up Nation: The Story of Israel’s Economic Miracle” by Dan Senor and Saul Singer, which details how “smart policies” led Israel to its impressive international economic performance. 

I saw in Pattaya some  Israelites. But when they come here for vacation they do not feel such a need wear  yarmulke when they  walk around soi  0-100 bars :D..

if they had any problems so the Thai police will certainly be on the side of the Israelis.Because  ALL they have had enough of ONE arrogant destructive  religious........

1 hour ago, Scotwight said:

I've worn a condom on my head and no one seemed to notice.  It looked kind of like a yarmulke.  Soi six Halloween a couple of years ago.  Maybe you saw me? 

Yes that was a big condom.  Must say a lot about you sexy man. :)

17 minutes ago, Stardust314 said:

if they had any problems so the Thai police will certainly be on the side of the Israelis.Because  ALL they have had enough of ONE arrogant destructive  religious........

OMG.  Have the Presbyterians been having a go at the sacramental wine again?

1 hour ago, Witblitz said:

Occasionally I've even seen Thai youth wear Stars of David for fashion but I don't think that counts as identifying as a Jew as people would assume they're not actually Jews based on their ethnic appearance. 

That's racist....large number of Jews are white, so how can Israel be their home land as they don't look arab based on their ethnic appearance. ?

Not that again.

Please take that garbage somewhere else, OK?

I asked a limited specific question about being visible as a Jew in Pattaya.

Not an invitation for the usual anti-Israel propaganda. 

I do know enough about the percentage of people with Thai ethnicity that identify as Jews is a very tiny number. So it's fair to assume if you see a Thai on a baht bus in Pattaya wearing a huge Star of David bling pendant, that he's making a rather vulgar fashion statement but is not actually a member of the Jewish tribes.

Yes, there are Jewish people of diverse and colorful ethnicities, including Chinese and a significant number of Ethiopians.  

But in the context of this thread, the point is wearing a Jewish identity symbol (skullcap, Star of David, etc.) and also with an ethnic appearance that would not be surprising if a Jewish person. A Thai appearance would be surprising. 

So I'm not talking about reactions IF ANY to the symbols themselves but reactions to people sporting the symbols that would usually be assumed to actually be Jewish people, not just wearing fashion.

Like when I see a Thai kid with a Nazi swastika t-shirt, I always assume he isn't really a Nazi but if I saw a white skinhead type with a Nazi swastika on his forehead I would assume he is.

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Not that again.

I do know enough about the percentage of people with Thai ethnicity that identify as Jews is a very tiny number. So it's fair to say if you see a Thai on a baht bus in Pattaya wearing a huge Star of David bling pendant, not he is not really a member of the tribe.

What about a black man wearing a Star of David on Baht bus or an Indian are they not really members of the "tribe" ?

My remarks have nothing to do with being Anti-Israeli, you said it yourself not all Israelis are Jewish, so now your contradicting yourself

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not that again.

I do know enough about the percentage of people with Thai ethnicity that identify as Jews is a very tiny number. So it's fair to assume if you see a Thai on a baht bus in Pattaya wearing a huge Star of David bling pendant, that he's making a rather vulgar fashion statement but is not actually a member of the Jewish tribes.

Another attempt to link Judaism to Pattaya gets off to a roaring start.  Time for another Swastika thread?  Haven't you done enough goy baiting for the day?   Who really thinks of wearing a yarmulke in Pattaya?  Oy Vey!

7 minutes ago, Witblitz said:

What about a black man wearing a Star of David on Baht bus or an Indian are they not really members of the "tribe" ?

My remarks have nothing to do with being Anti-Israeli, you said it yourself not all Israelis are Jewish, so now your contradicting yourself

You're just trolling now. If your aim is to get this thread closed, keep it up.

This topic posed a sincere question.

Yes there are black Jews. I'm not sure how much people know about them though, so in the context of this thread (PLEASE keep it there, OK?) I would say if the particular black person appeared to be wearing it in way of identification with being a Jew rather than fashion, it would be relevant. But it would be more ambiguous than if the symbols were worn by people with more typical Jewish ethnicity appearances. 

Now really if any man was wearing an identifiable Jewish skullcap (any ethnicity) then that would be different. That would be self identifying religiously to Judaism unless the person was being ironic or on the way to a fancy dress party.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, impulse said:

You'd probably be fine, but why risk it?  Mobs of drunken tourists aren't known for their discretion when they decide they're going the beat the crap out of the first convenient target.

It's happened to guys wearing NY Yankee jackets in the wrong neighborhood.  It's happened to guys wearing earrings in homophobic neighborhoods- even guys who aren't gay.

I'd hate to be on pins and needles every time I walked past a drunk group of Middle Eastern men feeling their oats.  Or a gaggle of drunk Eastern European skinheads.

When has that happened in Pattaya? In the 11 years i've been here i don't think i've ever seen a far right movement from a foreign country roam around Pattaya looking to beat the shit out anyone because of their religion.

If you have can you be very specific of dates and any online article relating to this please?

Expanding this topic just a tad, what experiences have people had in Pattaya seeing people wearing identifiable Jewish symbols that don't appear to just be fashion items?

Or perhaps you are a Jew and have worn such items here?

In all my years here, I've only seen that two times.

I see identifiable Muslims many times every day I go out here.

The two times were once I saw an Israeli lady wearing a teeny tiny little Star of David necklace on a baht bus. Frankly it was so small that I doubt many people even  noticed.

One time I did see something more out there.

It was a man wearing a pro Israeli Defense Forces t-shirt (with large star of David) walking around Central Pattaya beach mall. He was walking fast. I kind of wanted to ask him what his experiences were in Pattaya wearing that, but like I said, he was walking fast.

I'm not sure that sighting is fully relevant though. That's directly about support for Israel, and not just Israel but the IDF. That's not really the same thing as identifying Jewish with kippa or David.

Does speaking Israeli in public count as identifying as most likely Jewish? Perhaps so but not sure how many people can identify the language.

Edited by Jingthing

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're just trolling now. If your aim is to get this thread closed, keep it up.

This topic posed a sincere question.

Yes there are black Jews. I'm not sure how much people know about them though, so in the context of this thread (PLEASE keep it there, OK?) I would say if the particular black person appeared to be wearing it in way of identification with being a Jew rather than fashion, it would be relevant. But it would be more ambiguous than if the symbols were worn by people with more typical Jewish ethnicity appearances. 

Now really if any man was wearing an identifiable Jewish skullcap (any ethnicity) then that would be different. That would be self identifying religiously to Judaism unless the person was being ironic or on the way to a fancy dress party.

Not Trolling in the least..posing a legitimate question...you made a assessment on somebodies possibly religious leaning based solely on their ethnicity...which is profiling and some what racist and you continue to profile by making statements like this " more typical Jewish ethnicity appearances"

What is a more typical Jewish ethnic appearance ?.....Being Jewish is not a race 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

35 minutes ago, Franky Bear said:

When has that happened in Pattaya? In the 11 years i've been here i don't think i've ever seen a far right movement from a foreign country roam around Pattaya looking to beat the shit out anyone because of their religion.

If you have can you be very specific of dates and any online article relating to this please?

I can't point you to an article about a guy getting $100 bills stolen because he had them hanging out all his pockets on walking street, either

But I know it's not a good idea to walk around with Ben Franklin's hanging out of my pockets.

If you look at my post- nowhere did I say those thing happened in Pattaya.  But I don't believe Pattaya is somehow magically immune to the behaviors practiced back home.   One of them is hooligans looking for fights with people who are different.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks for sharing that but that really wasn't the question.

If you DID walk around identifying as a Jewish person (not all are Israeli BTW) what public reactions, IF ANY, would you expect? Do you think it would be safe?

You will be fine mate. No one really gives a turd in Thailand what religion you are if you are going about doing normal things.

1 hour ago, Scotwight said:

Another attempt to link Judaism to Pattaya gets off to a roaring start.  Time for another Swastika thread?  Haven't you done enough goy baiting for the day?   Who really thinks of wearing a yarmulke in Pattaya?  Oy Vey!

a young friend of mine did not mind wearing a yarmulke at the beach in Jomtien a number of years ago.

p.s. nobody gave a flying...

28 minutes ago, Franky Bear said:

You will be fine mate. No one really gives a turd in Thailand what religion you are if you are going about doing normal things.

OK. But would you feel comfortable doing that here? Try to personalize it.

3 hours ago, Witblitz said:

^^homeland^^ occupied by force

28 minutes ago, Pattaya28 said:

Anywhere, outside of Israel, it is not a good idea, for personal security, for a Jew to identify himself as a Jew.

That is, in a public place.

There is no place on Earth where a Jew is not a target.

Probably it really isn't quite as bad as all that, especially in areas of the USA and Canada, etc., though it is an issue. My personal desire to wear a Star of David in Pattaya is so limited that I don't see the point of asking for the risk. Yes, I think there is some danger in it. I'm not sure how much. Some people have done videos of visible Jews walking around various cities, like in France and Sweden and broadcast the unpleasant reactions on youtube. Yes a lot of the negative reaction, as you might expect, is expressed in anti-Israel sentiments, but these people are only identifying as Jews, not Israelis. You don't even  need to be Jewish to try that. It's an interesting social experiment and probably good for lots of youtube hits for people into that. Maybe someone with better medical coverage than I have would like to try that in Pattaya!

Edited by Jingthing