Leaving after a decade.

DennisF

"Thailand is home to one of the world's greatest cuisines".

I missed that - been here over 10 years and  hardly ever eat Thai. Perhaps if you enjoy having your mouth burned out with chili you'll love it - spicy food tends to be addictive and thereby probably clouds objective judgement of the food.

I laughed when an Australian friend told me he prefers the Thai food in Australia.

I'm not interested in your preferences - no doubt proletarian Western staples.I was stating an objective fact namely that Thai cuisine holds first division status along with that of France, Italy and various Chinese regions.There's obviously room for subjectivity but there are also limits.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

Thai Food is extremely unhealthy.......

full of Salt, Sugar and Soy Sauce and mostly deep fried.....

even the the beverages are full of Carnation Milk, Syrup, and Sugar......

i always request when when ordering food, No Salt No Sugar no Soy Sauce....often lands on deaf ears, Thai have very little concept of Healthy Food or Healrhy eating....

I sure do miss those fried mars bars, faggots and healthy haggis.:cheesy:  Try http://www.msr.co.th/home/

There are many healthy Thai dishes.  You just have not tried them.

4 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I sure do miss those fried mars bars, faggots and healthy haggis.:cheesy:  Try http://www.msr.co.th/home/

There are many healthy Thai dishes.  You just have not tried them.

Sorry to burst your bubble...I can honestly say I have not tasted a Fried Mars Bar, nor Haggis or Faggots..

as for Pleanty Healthy Thai Dishes ???? 

Dream On......

30 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

Sorry to burst your bubble...I can honestly say I have not tasted a Fried Mars Bar, nor Haggis or Faggots..

as for Pleanty Healthy Thai Dishes ???? 

Dream On......

I posted a link didn't you look?  http://www.msr.co.th/home/

Not expensive reasonably priced Thai food.  You are just demonstrating your absence of knowledge about Thailand.  

ส้มตำทะเลหอยนิวซีแลนด์
Som-Tum-Talay, Papaya salad New Zealand mussels with seafood

ส้มตำปูม้า
Som-Tum –Poo ma, Hot & spicy papaya salad with marinade crab

คอหมูย่าง
Grilled Pork

ลาบทูน่า
Lab-Tuna, Mince Tuna tossed with Thai herbs

เซี่ยงไฮ้คั่วไก่
Shanghai noodles stir fried with eggs and chicken / pork

ปอเปี๊ยะสดหน้าเนื้อก้ามปู
Fresh Spring roll topped with crab’s claws meat

ส้มตำทูน่า
Som-Tum-Tuna Papaya Salad with Tuna

17 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I posted a link didn't you look?  http://www.msr.co.th/home/

Not expensive reasonably priced Thai food.  You are just demonstrating your absence of knowledge about Thailand.  

ส้มตำทะเลหอยนิวซีแลนด์
Som-Tum-Talay, Papaya salad New Zealand mussels with seafood

ส้มตำปูม้า
Som-Tum –Poo ma, Hot & spicy papaya salad with marinade crab

คอหมูย่าง
Grilled Pork

ลาบทูน่า
Lab-Tuna, Mince Tuna tossed with Thai herbs

เซี่ยงไฮ้คั่วไก่
Shanghai noodles stir fried with eggs and chicken / pork

ปอเปี๊ยะสดหน้าเนื้อก้ามปู
Fresh Spring roll topped with crab’s claws meat

ส้มตำทูน่า
Som-Tum-Tuna Papaya Salad with Tuna

Kind of you , but I am strict Vegetarian.... So all of the above is not for me....

but it's appreciated......

and i I still am  in the same frame of mind Thai Food is Unhealthy....., just watch all the crap they put into it.....

anyway, onwards and upwards....

have a a nice day.....

16 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

Kind of you , but I am strict Vegetarian.... So all of the above is not for me....

but it's appreciated......

and i I still am  in the same frame of mind Thai Food is Unhealthy....., just watch all the crap they put into it.....

anyway, onwards and upwards....

have a a nice day.....

Each year, during the ninth lunar month of the Chinese calendar, up to a few million Thais consume a vegan only diet for nine days.

vegen.jpg

3 hours ago, MissAndry said:

I didn't investigate, but the English guys all living there didn't mention any problems.

And as another poster said, extreme weather, rained almost continuously for the 6 days I was there.

My only complaint was with the 27 gogo bars in what was advertised as a family diving/beach resort.

Insane!

That area of Luzon has a tropical monsoon climate (wet season) from May to October. It's not unusual to have days on end of heavy and continuous downpours. 

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

I'm not interested in your preferences - no doubt proletarian Western staples.I was stating an objective fact namely that Thai cuisine holds first division status along with that of France, Italy and various Chinese regions.There's obviously room for subjectivity but there are also limits.

Why do you know without a doubt my food preferences, just because I'm not into Thai food (in general - there are dishes I enjoy)? There's nothing objective about calling a cuisine "one of the greatest". That's merely a subjective opinion.

One of my favourite cuisines is Japanese, but that doesn't mean I'm going to run around calling it the greatest on earth.

Edited by tropo

3 hours ago, tropo said:

Why do you know without a doubt my food preferences, just because I'm not into Thai food (in general - there are dishes I enjoy)? There's nothing objective about calling a cuisine "one of the greatest". That's merely a subjective opinion.

One of my favourite cuisines is Japanese, but that doesn't mean I'm going to run around calling it the greatest on earth.

Money talks.  The most popular food is the greatest.  You don't like Thai food or Thai women that makes you an odd man out from most of us who live in Thailand.  Just accept it.  99% of the people you see and interact and live amongst like Thai food very much.  

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/eat/worlds-best-food-cultures-453528/

Thai food is garbage. Loaded with msg and sugar in everything no exceptions.
The reason most retirees are obese is because of the above plus every dish is served up with the biggest part being high carb boiled rice.
All of it perfect for a diabetes prognosis. I buy fresh everything and cook at home thanks very much

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, mcfish said:

The reason most retirees are obese is because of the above plus every dish is served up with the biggest part being high carb boiled rice.
All of it perfect for a diabetes prognosis. I buy fresh everything and cook at home thanks very much

The following Bangkok restaurants are healthy and not loaded with sugar and MSG - no exceptions.  

Soul Food Mahanakorn 
Nahm 
The Local 
May Kaidee's 
Paste Bangkok 
Khun Churn
Rasayana Retreat  
Anotai 

Na Aroon 
The restaurant uses organic produce, and does not use MSG, food coloring or preservatives. Menu winners include Massaman curry with tofu, potatoes, shallots and peanuts or the yam tua ploo, spicy and sour wing bean salad. 

Thai food is among the most popular in the world .  http://www.mthai.com/en/lifestyle/22991.html

Thai cusine is always ranked in the top ten.  

Edited by Scotwight

19 minutes ago, mcfish said:

WOW! A nation living on garbage and you are the exception!

Such...

1 hour ago, Scotwight said:
The following Bangkok restaurants are healthy and not loaded with sugar and MSG - no exceptions.  

Soul Food Mahanakorn 
Nahm 
The Local 
May Kaidee's 
Paste Bangkok 
Khun Churn
Rasayana Retreat  
Anotai 

Na Aroon 
The restaurant uses organic produce, and does not use MSG, food coloring or preservatives. Menu winners include Massaman curry with tofu, potatoes, shallots and peanuts or the yam tua ploo, spicy and sour wing bean salad. 

Thai food is among the most popular in the world .  http://www.mthai.com/en/lifestyle/22991.html

Thai cusine is always ranked in the top ten.  

Thanks for that list. Im going to have a look at then for sure.

52 minutes ago, mcfish said:

The reason most retirees are obese is because they came to Thailand already obese.  Has nothing to do with Thai food.     

My wife and I are waiting for her passport to come back from the Embassy with her IV stamp.  We plan to leave mid September.  I have been here five years, and there is a distinctly different feeling about the country, and an increase in the isolation.  But, there are also practical reasons, namely the inability to get health care insurance here while having virtual no cost coverage in the U.S.   We also have to establish a five year residency for my wife vis a vis survivor's pension benefits.  We plan to come back so we are farming out our stuff to family and friends.  

Good luck to you

1 hour ago, Scotwight said:

Money talks.  The most popular food is the greatest.  You don't like Thai food or Thai women that makes you an odd man out from most of us who live in Thailand.  Just accept it.  99% of the people you see and interact and live amongst like Thai food very much.  

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/eat/worlds-best-food-cultures-453528/

"Money talks" - what do you mean by that?

You've become confused - probably because you feel that I'm against all things Thai because I'm not married to one.

My original comment was about disagreeing with the comment that Thai food is one of the world's greatest cuisines. We should be able to give an opinion without being attacked by the Thai food fan club (I did expect it though). I would hazard a guess that many foreigners living here eat Thai food to save money as the imported food is too expensive. Would you really prefer phad thai over an imported Wagyu Steak, for example, if money was no objective?

There are quite a few Thai dishes that I do like, but I like other food more if I have the choice... that's the reason I don't eat Thai a lot - because I have a lot of other choices which I prefer. If I was stuck somewhere up country in the boondocks, then I'd eat Thai and not complain. It's not that I think it's bad, just that there is a lot of better choices.

It is always difficult . Yes Thailand has changed a lot during the years . But so have all places around the world , and you . Has it become better , no ,but also most other things have not changed for the better also . Most of it is politics based , and that is not only Thailand but everywere ( maybe you don't care about politics , butpolitics sure care for you ) . And politics also changes peoples view so 1 way or another you are allways influenced by it .

Now saying going someplace else , better check it out good before , because it changes also .

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 3:32 PM, JAFO said:

True Berkshire. While I am not here to defend Thailand in any way shape or form, its not as bad as the OP and others are going on about but I do respect their sentiments. For me as a foreigner here I am glad not to be involved in the political system. I have zero impact on it and I am transparent in the big picture which is where I want to be. I just go about my life with little noise. Yes I work here, yes I pay Thai taxes but its moot because I had no expectations here to change anything but rather just live it for what it is. The OP stated he lived in Pattaya......Thats' another debate entirely. 

Also as someone posted most the people exiting are folks with children, I totally get it. My wife and I do not have children. In fact we do not even have any pets. we want total freedom to do what we want. My wife is a US citizen and we can leave at anytime but she lived in both places, I lived in both places and we just like it better here for a host of reasons. I think some key ways to stay happy and live a fruitful life here or anywhere for that matter is ignore the news, politics and religion. 

In the End he is leaving for his own reasons and I respect that, makes no difference to me one way or the other. I wish him the best. Clearly his thread has something hidden in it. 

Btw, out of curiosity, why do people post they are leaving Thailand or any country on any forum. I left the US but never hopped on a US based forum and said I am Leaving yaddy yaddy, I know if I was to leave, I would just leave. 

+++

Even though gay marriage is now legal in the US, I still don't think the married (with children) life is for me so the matter of raising a family is fortunately (or unfortunately) totally off the table in my case. I therefore remain a "confirmed bachelor" and thankfully got only I, me and myself to answer for my reason for staying or leaving thailand (or anywhere else for that matter), past present and future. [The only (little) people who take advantage of my situation are my nephews and nieces back in the states to whom I am an all-year round Santa Claus at their beck and call!]

FWIW, I never said when asked that the US has become a bad place to live - try to say that to the thai people around me! I only told them I could no longer afford to live there which is truthful enough. What I feel about my own country is not something I can really share with the locals here, not in a meaningful way. Conversely, I don't turn around and say Thailand has become better or worse - try telling that to my friends in the states, who don't give a damn - or I'm getting better or worse treatment here (both happen on a daily basis anyway) after a number of x years just because my own personal circumstance has evolved. If that was ever the case then again I only have myself to answer for, not the host country. It takes some doing to come live here but only my own volition to leave so if I ever feel the need to pack, I won't be looking back wondering why.

The chain of thoughts on this thread somehow reminds me of an account about the life of a french baronet (or marquis) way back when that kind of titles was still "de rigueur." He lived by himself (with his entourage of helpers of course) in a big mansion/castle, but occupied only one room at a time. "When it becomes too full, I simply move to another room." A win=win situation for all concerned. Back to what have been suggested here throughout, Australia, VN, Philippines, UK, and even Greece, good points and bad points abound with everything in between, but what it boils down to, to some of us anyway, especially those who keep a small footprint, the WORLD is our castle.

If you don't like where you happen to be, move on and make room for others. Sorry to hear that Thailand is no longer good enough for the OP. I too wish him the best.:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Balance said:

My wife and I are waiting for her passport to come back from the Embassy with her IV stamp.  We plan to leave mid September.  I have been here five years, and there is a distinctly different feeling about the country, and an increase in the isolation.  But, there are also practical reasons, namely the inability to get health care insurance here while having virtual no cost coverage in the U.S.   We also have to establish a five year residency for my wife vis a vis survivor's pension benefits.  We plan to come back so we are farming out our stuff to family and friends.  

Good luck to you

Funny we did a similar deal but the other way round

Brought my wife to US in 2007 where she obtained a 2yr green card then 10 yr card then in 3rd year got her US citizenship

(would be so nice for us Non Thai's to get something similar in Thailand :(  even without citizenship but just the 2yr/10yr card etc  )

In 2012 we moved to ChiangMai stayed 4.5 years & just left on July 31st to come back to our home here which we kept.

We will surely live again in Thailand but are really enjoying certain things back at our home for sure

Steaks on the grill..great beer...excellent health care if needed..The clean crisp air & water...The simple lack of traffic & drivers

knowing how to drive etc

On the other side of course we also miss many things in ChiangMai especially the lively vibe...low priced restaurants etc

Edited by mania

USA is sooooo much better. Detroit is probably the best town in the USA. very safe and police come in 3 minutes.

in detroit you can have steaks. just amazing. and the traffic, there is none. and in detroit you are not disturbed by neighbor..they left.... even houses in Detroit can cost 1 dollar only. how much you pay in Thailand? 3 millions baths.

yes, the USA is much better. :)

On 8/24/2016 at 1:38 AM, Bender said:

all the expats/friends i did know, since a decade ago, went back home. No one is living here anymore. 

Why didnt you join them ?  

On 8/24/2016 at 6:30 AM, DennisF said:

Thank you for the many good wishes, I appreciate it.

I did not want this to become a Thai bashing thread, I have loved my time here and would not have

missed one minute.

For the curious doubters, you will have to come up with another reason, I am not moving for fiscal reasons nor am I telling untruths.

The regime here is oppressive and becomes more so with each moronic declaration. Whilst it may not impact directly on the ostrich farangs, those with good Thai friends will feel their pain and frustration.

Those that say their Thai friends tell them things  are better under this monstrous junta are fooling themselves into believing the statements.  Thai people are not allowed to criticise their hi-so masters as they now live under constant threat of imprisonment if they publicly declare their true feelings.  Under that umbrella, they are not too enthusiastic about sharing their true feelings.

Again, thank you all for the good wishes, I am not burning bridges, just starting a new chapter.

Another cliche used on this forum is those who go back are quitters, slinking away with their tails between their legs.  "Failed expats".  Narrow minded, untraveled, unworldly dunces who moved here without realistic due diligence and now they can't hack it.

That may be the case for some but certainly not all.  I don't get that impression from you.

In any case, it's better than staying here if not content, unhappy or downright miserable.  Regardless if the misery is real, imagined, self-inflicted or a mixture of all 3. 

The better man can admit he's made a mistake, or has simply changed his mind, then make a plan, execute, and get on with it.  It would be a failure of character to remain, frozen by depression, fear, laziness. 

I do feel for those who feel, or actually are, stuck here by their financial situation.   Enough to live out a spartan but fairly comfortable life here, but not enough capital to start over 'back home' - housing costs often being the biggest obstacle.

Good luck to you in the new chapter of your life. 

Edited by 55Jay

only thing that has changed.. everything gotten more expensive.. then again.. so has the rest of the world.. 

looking forward when bangkok/thailand is finally power cable free... and fully or at least mostly underground..

however.. the process required to get us there is a little unnerving...

i'll stay for abit longer though... see how things turn out.

14 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

"Oppressive restrictive government" - Thaivisa code for "7-11 won't sell me Leo in the afternoons".

one of Thaksins laws, same as no booze sold in fuel stations, mind you if you search hard enough you will find some.

15 hours ago, sezze said:

Renewing visa extensions has become ever more difficult for a while now as various additions have been added.

Its been going on for a while - hence the ever ending threads about 'latest requirements'.

Some prefer to pretend this is not the case for their own reasons.

Edited by dick dasterdly

13 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Renewing visa extensions has become ever more difficult for a while now as various additions have been added.

Its been going on for a while - hence the ever ending threads about 'latest requirements'.

Some prefer to pretend this is not the case for their own reasons.

Never been an issue for me, The only addition I filled in one month ago was a single page if I remember correctly, wanting some extra info.