Leaving after a decade.

DennisF

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

When I see posts requesting the OP openly criticise the current government in writing, well....I really struggle to give any credibility to the judgement and appraisal of the current situation in Thailand, to the person requesting, or those that 'like' the post.

If you care to read the thread properly you might see the OP already openly critized the current goverment in writing without any prompting ...the requests were to provide details only.

And your judgement of the current situation in Thailand is way off the mark, otherwise half the TV membership would be in jail ...examples of falang getting into legal troubles with the thai gov over social media are very thin on the ground and usually reserved for those that actually deserve it.

Nice try but your post is bs....

Edited by HappyDazed

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, HappyDazed said:

If you care to read the thread properly you might see the OP already openly critized the current goverment in writing without any prompting ...the requests were to provide details only.

And your judgement of the current situation in Thailand is way off the mark, otherwise half the TV membership would be in jail ...examples of falang getting into legal troubles with the thai gov over social media are very thin on the ground and usually reserved for those that actually deserve it.

Nice try but your post is bs....

There is quite a difference between a broad statement, and providing specific detail. Naming names is especially dangerous in Thailand.

I'm afraid you have rather shown your limited understanding once more. Still I expect you may receive a few likes for your post from the similarly afflicted.

If you go through the whole forum, you will see that a huge number of members did leave this country. And no one of them did never come back to live here. They all moved back home happily!

In fact, i also remember few members said they do come back in thailand only for short holiday with their thai wife.  And they want to make their holiday as short as possible!

16 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I suspect that forums exist to talk about the good, the bad and the ugly?

Human nature is that we are more likely to tell others about the bad, rather than the good - and posters then relate their own experiences, good or bad.

A forum dedicated to celebrating only the awesome nature of living in Thailand (a loose translation of your words) is doomed to fail - as (to repeat) posters are interested in the good, the bad and the ugly.  They get bored v quickly with everyone congratulating themselves on the choices they've made and the perfection of the forum subject!

yes the "Emperors new clothes"........quite apt for Thailand

Interesting replies.

Never thought this thread would take up so much space, we have ventured from the original post to encompass cuisine and how to recognise a former hooker!!

To the junta huggers, I did make a rather general post, intentionally and I am not going into the realms of specifics.

Reading the TV rules of posting might help regarding the ability of TV to report without restriction and your own inability to even call the powers that be an internationally recognised D word.

As for those who think it was just a whinge, my ticket is already booked and I am not leaving for forsaken love or financial reasons.

I do not know where I will decide to settle but I have good options which I will keep open for now.

Although I am unsure as to whether it is interesting or not, I will post from wherever I am to describe the changes in living style, culture shocks etc.

Normally, I would see it as pointless posting on a Thai forum without living here but, for those thinking of leaving, and for those for whom Thailand is paradise it may have crumbs of interest.

I would also state that my time in this country has been an enjoyable experience that I would not have missed for the World.

Beautiful country in which I have travelled extensively and made many Thai friends. I am going to miss them a great deal as well as the many wonderful aspects of living here.

Calling me a Thai basher just demonstrates shallowness of mind, ignorance of where the country is headed and proves you do not know me!

4 hours ago, Bender said:

If you go through the whole forum, you will see that a huge number of members did leave this country. And no one of them did never come back to live here. They all moved back home happily!

In fact, i also remember few members said they do come back in thailand only for short holiday with their thai wife.  And they want to make their holiday as short as possible!

You are incorrect that "not one of them came back to live here". Many of them did. They really missed it. I have known a number of them.

I am living in Southern California at the moment, but, I know that I would return to LOS if I got the chance.

38 minutes ago, DennisF said:

Interesting replies.

Never thought this thread would take up so much space, we have ventured from the original post to encompass cuisine and how to recognise a former hooker!!

To the junta huggers, I did make a rather general post, intentionally and I am not going into the realms of specifics.

Reading the TV rules of posting might help regarding the ability of TV to report without restriction and your own inability to even call the powers that be an internationally recognised D word.

As for those who think it was just a whinge, my ticket is already booked and I am not leaving for forsaken love or financial reasons.

I do not know where I will decide to settle but I have good options which I will keep open for now.

Although I am unsure as to whether it is interesting or not, I will post from wherever I am to describe the changes in living style, culture shocks etc.

Normally, I would see it as pointless posting on a Thai forum without living here but, for those thinking of leaving, and for those for whom Thailand is paradise it may have crumbs of interest.

I would also state that my time in this country has been an enjoyable experience that I would not have missed for the World.

Beautiful country in which I have travelled extensively and made many Thai friends. I am going to miss them a great deal as well as the many wonderful aspects of living here.

Calling me a Thai basher just demonstrates shallowness of mind, ignorance of where the country is headed and proves you do not know me!

I think the bottom line is that nobody really cares what you do or why.

You have decided to "put it out there" and who knows what your motivations are for doing that - but obviously you wanted some attention and you got it.

So well done you.

9 hours ago, 473geo said:

There is quite a difference between a broad statement, and providing specific detail. Naming names is especially dangerous in Thailand.

I'm afraid you have rather shown your limited understanding once more. Still I expect you may receive a few likes for your post from the similarly afflicted.

Nobody asked him to name names, your making stuff up now, ....you really have zero idea about Thailand or this forum.

Read the replies in this thread from just today to see how far you are from reality, maybe it will help you return to planet earth in your tinfoil spaceship...

10 hours ago, Bender said:

You may also find (but you will have to look very hard) that there are also a large number of members of this forum who actually like Thailand, their wives, children, families and extended families and consider Thailand as their home. Many of them go back to their own countries then return back to their home in Thailand and are glad of the holiday but don't want to live there any more.

There are other members of the forum, (I am one of them) who have no real desire to visit the country that they came from and are more than happy to live in Thailand with their families etc.,

I all depends on how you look at the glass. Is it half full or half empty? Field engineers would drop not so subtle hints that it is somebody elses round.

4 hours ago, HappyDazed said:

Nobody asked him to name names, your making stuff up now, ....you really have zero idea about Thailand or this forum.

Read the replies in this thread from just today to see how far you are from reality, maybe it will help you return to planet earth in your tinfoil spaceship...

Read it already, one post really stands out for me - I wonder if you can spot it?

No need to start trying to lay  insults, seen it all before, I am just pointing out it may be prudent for the op to not provide detail.

The fact others may choose to publish statements says more about them and nothing about him.....understand?

Edited by 473geo
clarity

Actually, a large number of posters don't live here, but wish they did, and just can't let go with the fact that for whatever reason they can't move over here and enjoy the things we do.  There have been two waves of malcontents posting a lot of negativity on here over the last several years.  First was the ED Visa sour grapes...all of a sudden, just because they got caught red handed, abusing visa rules; LOS is the worst place this side of N. Korea.  Lately, it's been a new phenomenon.....seems like after the GBP took a 10% haircut in a single day; that now life in the UK is so much better than Thailand and the people are so much friendlier.....and let me guess...they have better teeth, too?  Over the last ten years here, we've seen the US bubble burst in 2008...the Euro trash was telling me it was going to 2 to 1 vs. the Dollar..and the GBP was at 2.10....but then we had the PIGS and the EU deflated like a Songkran toy...they've almost gone extinct in CM.....then there was the mighty Australians who got their new world orders from the Chinese, then watched the value of their commodities drop to almost nothing, with the Canadians doing the identical dance on the other hemisphere, which reminds me, what happened to the mighty oil and gas workers contingent that used to regularly come on here and attack visa rules, because they were the drunkest of all sailors,  If they saved 10% of what they made during the boom, they are ahead of most......and every time, their were countless people from each country hitting the exits, trying their best to justify their move back to miseryland....bad Thai drivers or corruption are a favorite starting point....then it's the women aren't attractive and the food is terrible....read the stories in Ajarn about the teachers, that went home......pretty pathetic...the ones cleaning rear ends of hospital patients are doing better than most.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

You may also find (but you will have to look very hard) that there are also a large number of members of this forum who actually like Thailand, their wives, children, families and extended families and consider Thailand as their home. Many of them go back to their own countries then return back to their home in Thailand and are glad of the holiday but don't want to live there any more.

There are other members of the forum, (I am one of them) who have no real desire to visit the country that they came from and are more than happy to live in Thailand with their families etc.,

I all depends on how you look at the glass. Is it half full or half empty? Field engineers would drop not so subtle hints that it is somebody elses round.

I enjoy reading your posts Bill, you come across as really comfortable, enjoying your life with your family in Thailand, indeed have stated such on this forum many times, your satisfaction shows in the gentle tone of reasoning in your posts. I think when you look at your glass it is full of happiness. Long may it continue.

I consider my home and family are in Thailand, my work is in the UK. The UK provides funding to improve the family plot in Thailand, The UK will provide facilitate an income for when I retire to Thailand. The UK provides options should I have any concerns regarding the future of my family in Thailand. I have no gripe with life in the UK all is good.

Thailand provides my family with continued stability, huge family support, I enjoy the fact my children can be children, play around the village, roam the countryside, catch fish, cycle to school, cycle to the local shop, my children are the next generation, and I believe I can set them up to have a comfortable, low stress, easy going lifestyle in Thailand.

My relationship with Thailand spans about 30 years, a real roller coaster, just about experiencing all of the good and not so good, from hedonistic partying in Phuket, to slow easy life in Issan. From cycling to Doi Inthanon from Chiang Mai, to experiencing a 600 kilometer 69 baht train ride from Bangkok to Surin. From eating in restaurants, to enjoying roadside fare. From seeing beautiful ladies in bars to seeing beautiful ladies pouring concrete. I have really enjoyed my time and experiences in Thailand, above all the love and enjoyment received from my wife and children.

Now given I am happy with my 'life' and experiences in Thailand, and I am happy with my life in the UK, ( I have a large family here also) am I capable of understanding why some people make the choice to leave Thailand.......yep......of course.....they are not me, their thinking, experiences and expectations will be far different from mine.

Above all I do not expect all to embrace my lifestyle choices, I am able to graciously accept their criticism of Thailand, I am aware that I overlook many niggling aspects of my adopted home, because in general, it caters extremely well for my current needs. Others may well translate what I feel are minor idiosyncrasies  into major obstacles. I have no control over that, just as I have no control over the posters who would tear into my lifestyle choice to purchase land for my wife and family, build a house, and school my children in the local school.

Take it easy guys life is good

9 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

You are incorrect that "not one of them came back to live here". Many of them did. They really missed it. I have known a number of them.

I am living in Southern California at the moment, but, I know that I would return to LOS if I got the chance.

Maybe one or two did come back, but i guarantee you those people who left did not come back...

Official source: a german friend did have a thai girlfriend working in a bank. A couple of years ago i learnt something.  People who left close their account and repatriate their funds. In the recent years, NO ONE did close his account and open it back few years later.... SO the foreigners dont come back!

Out of curiosity, you said " I have known a number of them."  So how many exactly??? And what they did miss in this country?

Edited by Bender

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Maybe one or two did come back, but i guarantee you those people who left did not come back...

Official source: a german friend did have a thai girlfriend working in a bank. A couple of years ago i learnt something.  People who left close their account and repatriate their funds. In the recent years, NO ONE did close his account and open it back few years later.... SO the foreigners dont come back!

Out of curiosity, you said " I have known a number of them."  So how many exactly??? And what they did miss in this country?

And why would a returnee be required to bank at the same bank and/or branch as before?  I sold my house in CM in 2008, repatriated my money, bought and sold three in the US, then came back here in 2014 and bought a condo.  I've been hired by the same school district in Virginia three times, and the one person that objected was the one, who is long gone, and they even told me that the effort I put in, when I am there is greatly appreciated and good for me that I have the wherewithal to travel the world.  Besides that, the high cost of housing makes it quite difficult to find people, let alone those with a degree and a clean police record. 

5 hours ago, Bender said:

I know 132 that came back.  They left their home country because the government had become more restrictive and made it untenable for them to live there.  I'd explain exactly why but I would not want to start a trend of being specific in reasons for doing things better to leave it vague and take the chance of being thought a whinger.:whistling:

15 hours ago, DennisF said:

Interesting replies.

I don't think you are a Thai basher just a teller of tall tales and a person who does not care about the truth.  Because you wrote, "(the new government) bring in new legislation and requirements, almost on a daily basis, that makes life here untenable for me."  That is a lie.  The current government has not brought in new legislation and requirements on a daily basis that would make life difficult for a foreigner.   

8 hours ago, Scotwight said:

I don't think you are a Thai basher just a teller of tall tales and a person who does not care about the truth.  Because you wrote, "(the new government) bring in new legislation and requirements, almost on a daily basis, that makes life here untenable for me."  That is a lie.  The current government has not brought in new legislation and requirements on a daily basis that would make life difficult for a foreigner.   

You come across as confrontational simply for the sake of confrontation. Life in front of your screen must be extremely harsh as you appear to mistakenly quote in order to bait people.

This is what I said:  as it gets more and more restrictive, oppressive and appears to bring in new legislation and requirements, 

You will notice from the full quote that your junta hugging lead YOU to tell untruths, not me.

Welcome to my iggy list, where all those beneath contempt reside.

5 minutes ago, DennisF said:

You come across as confrontational simply for the sake of confrontation. Life in front of your screen must be extremely harsh as you appear to mistakenly quote in order to bait people.

This is what I said:  as it gets more and more restrictive, oppressive and appears to bring in new legislation and requirements, 

You will notice from the full quote that your junta hugging lead YOU to tell untruths, not me.

Welcome to my iggy list, where all those beneath contempt reside.

You wrote, " I feel really uncomfortable here now, unwelcome and unwanted by the current government as it gets more and more restrictive, oppressive and appears to bring in new legislation and requirements, almost on a daily basis, that makes life here untenable for me."  That's a lie even if you want to say appears makes it somehow that you were lying and didn't really mean what you wrote.  

The truth is that the new government has not effected Farangs at all if they were not involved in Thai politics.  

If I'm wrong please list new legislation and requirements promulgated on a daily basis that made life untenable (don't be specific to yourself list any legislation and requirements promulgated on a daily basis that made life untenable for any Farang.  

On 8/23/2016 at 1:11 PM, Scotwight said:

I take it you don't know a lot about the Philippines.  Three Filipinos from my company have to move back because of family reasons and they are close to suicide.  (not kidding)

...i spent 9 months in Phillipinnes last year , because i felt what OP mentioned.I had to leave LOS , to reappreciate it ! Was so happy to come back here again ! CEBU is a sh*t hole. Davao you get shot by Police easely for minor drug offences, if you dont watch out anywhere in Phillipinnes you get in troubles more quickly and robbed too, this is true and based on my own experiences. But hey, give it a try! Good luck with that....

Interesting this thread has gone as far as it has.

In the end we are all different. Foreigners come and go here. Its no different in the US. I have known hundreds of Vietnamese, Filipino's and others who emigrated to the US and after some period of time went back to their home countries and now only visit the US. Most complained about cost of living, over government, etc. The OP wanting to leave is his choice. 

I still say that one's demeanor and attitude here is heavily driven by where they chose to live in Thailand. I think the happy ones are ones that did their homework, assessed it well, had a plan ( but those change so you have to remain flexible) and were likely sober :). There are places in this country I won't even go visit let alone would have lived. But that was the same in the US. 

As a Foreigner here I feel absolutely none of what the OP has posted and gone on about. In fact in many cases quite the opposite.  

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Scotwight said:

Now you have been kicked by 6 Thais?  Do you ever watch Thai boxing?  6 to 1 there?  You can go see one Farang fight one Thai almost any night of the week.  

Pointless and stupid post.

1 hour ago, aquario33 said:

...i spent 9 months in Phillipinnes last year , because i felt what OP mentioned.I had to leave LOS , to reappreciate it ! Was so happy to come back here again ! CEBU is a sh*t hole. Davao you get shot by Police easely for minor drug offences, if you dont watch out anywhere in Phillipinnes you get in troubles more quickly and robbed too, this is true and based on my own experiences. But hey, give it a try! Good luck with that....

I was there for a week earlier this month, no problems at all (Manila and Olongapo) wandered around all over the place, walked from the bus station to the airport along narrow alleys. Nice people, like a very poor and run down version of Thailand, but more friendly and everyone speaks English. I liked it.

7 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

I was there for a week earlier this month, no problems at all (Manila and Olongapo) wandered around all over the place, walked from the bus station to the airport along narrow alleys. Nice people, like a very poor and run down version of Thailand, but more friendly and everyone speaks English. I liked it.

as i said  i spent 9 months...cant compare with a week stay i guess...

26 minutes ago, rott said:

Pointless and stupid post.

The only place in any country where fighting is fair is in a boxing ring.  Gang behavior is as common in the West as in Asia.  

It is a constant lie that somehow the hooligans in the West have some kind of Knightly code of chivalrous bashing conduct and the lowly hooligans in Asia have only a gang mentality.  

All the gang violence in the UK and US is fisticuffs between two fellows the winner being determined by the Marquis of Queensberry rules eh?

Seems to be plenty of Psychologists on here Ha ha

Remember reading somewhere that the highest incidence of suicide amongst the medical profession was in Psychologists and dentists, maybe changing your profession would improve your outlook. (only kidding)

I agree though with some of the points raised here, there is and it is "tangible" for any perceptive intelligent and sensitive person  an attitude within the Pattaya area particularly of a "coldness", where years ago this was never an issue .

It can be seen in the changing  attitude of shop assistants, banks and even hospitals.

I dont think it is helped  by the  bad  attitudes and abuse  over the years  of many low quality Farangs the Thai population generally have  had to put up with.

Most Thai people I meet on a daily basis if showing that cool  disdain that I am talking about can easily be changed with a polite smile and grin!

Ok it doesn't work all the time but often people that you meet are possibly giving you back what you are displaying to them ! (Albeit unintentionally)

I'm not a Psychologist, I did a couple of years a long time ago on a Psychology  degree course and was amazed at the  variety of  stuff that is/was taken for granted as  the Raison de etre for any mental malady, temporary or otherwise.

In other words even the "Experts" couldn't agree on the cause of any particular behavioural problem and  because diagnosis was not an exact science but purely subjective, how could any reliance be placed on the opinions of these  so called "Professionals"?