Police Controll ,Driver license, fine 500 Bath and Bad Accident

nasa123

Sorry about the young man, but the family will get nothing about trying to take this to the court. 

I'm a fellow norwegian myself and I always knew that to drive legal you also need to bring a IDP. That's common knowledge.... 

What actually happened when he crashed? Did some other driver hit him? 

The IDP is only necessary if your national licence does not have a picture. If you have a full licence but without pic then not having an IDP is just a technical issue. I can ride just the same whether I carry mine or not. This post event blame shifting is pathetic.

The IDP is merely an officially recognised translation of your official driving license into different languages.

It means nothing about the persons ability and skill to drive, that's inferred from the license issued by the authority who issued the original license.

The offence here for which the fine was paid was for not having the IDP translation. It's a money earner by the police, nothing more than that.

If you have a license issued by your home country then you are allowed to drive. It's just a paperwork thing.

20 hours ago, ukrules said:

The IDP is merely an officially recognised translation of your official driving license into different languages.

It means nothing about the persons ability and skill to drive, that's inferred from the license issued by the authority who issued the original license.

The offence here for which the fine was paid was for not having the IDP translation. It's a money earner by the police, nothing more than that.

If you have a license issued by your home country then you are allowed to drive. It's just a paperwork thing.

This is true - it's all about the translation......while maybe some European licences can be read/understood by other European countries enforcement officers, a copper in the uk for example, has to be able to recognise what a Chinese licence allows (without being able to read Chinese). 

Even though it''s called an International Driving Licence or Permit or whatever, it is not a licence at all. As mentioned, many countries will actually recognise a licence from many others without the IDP for whatever reason. It really means about as much as a degree from KS road, and means even less if not accompanied by a valid home country licence.

I had never heard of someone being fined for no IDP,  but it seems this does happen.

23 hours ago, Namplik said:

Well, for us Norwegians(non EU country) we are obliged to have our national driving license + IDP to drive legal in Thailand. If not, yes the police will fine you....  

An acquaintance in our village is Norwegian and needed an IDP to get his Thai DL.

What seems crazy in this thread to me is blaming a Thai policeman for his death.

On 8/29/2016 at 6:50 PM, Gnasher328 said:

The IDP is only necessary if your national licence does not have a picture. If you have a full licence but without pic then not having an IDP is just a technical issue. I can ride just the same whether I carry mine or not. This post event blame shifting is pathetic.

It's not always the case of just the picture on another countries full DL the categories of what you are entitled drive need to be written on the DL in English as well,  if not an IDP is required as well.

Edited by Kwasaki