The clean up of Thailand's hanging wires - more of a headache than first thought!

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, phycokiller said:

they should leave them, maybe Bill Gates will come back and take more photos and spend more money, he probably thought it was the most interesting thing about the place. turn them into a tourist attraction

We have had the Hanging Gardens of Babylon so why not the Hanging Wires of Thailand 

6 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Is there a camber on that new road at all?

What is camber? What is storm drainage? What is a footpath?

And we are scratching our heads for the reason why there is no underground provisions for services...

6 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes fibre conducts electricity very well! :blink:

It is not the electricity cables that is the problem....

It is the rats nest of copper that hangs below the electric cables, the electricity put in electric poles to carry the 230v and higher voltage electricity cables, but every TV, internet and phone company runs their cable below these and now the electricity poles are holding up a lot more wire than they were designed for and are braking under the strain.

10 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Pressurised. Bulldust

Even if the conduit were only buried 300mm below ground level, the required pressure to stop water ingress would be 2.94kPa and that assuming no surface water depth over and above. It would also mean that any access hatch, even a small on measuring say 400mmx400mm would have a 0.47kn total force trying to open it.

Your pressurisation theory would then rely on counduit be sealed after cables were installed which defeats the purpose of undergroud counduits or trunking.

Your theory suggests pressurised air constantly pumped into the system and should any single man hole or access point be opened, the pressurisation would be compromised.

The majority of electrical cables in Aust are overhead and always will be. There are efficiency advantages, capacity advantages and cost advantages that will ensure this remains 

Oh dear, I did say the cables are pressurised, and that is a fact, not like your comment. And this is about comms cables. Do us a favour, comment on something you know, I haved worked in the industry for over 40 years, don't  tell me you know more about comms cables than I do, you must be an idiot.

Edited by Rorri

34 minutes ago, Rorri said:

Rorri, you are talking through your backside. Main feeder cables were pressurised a century ago because the insulation used was basically paper and to maintain its insulation effectiveness it couldnt get damp. We no longer live in the 1940's and since we now have materials with adequate insulation and can be bonded to the conductors, it is not required. It never worked in the first place and if you were familiar with such a system you would know why.

You obviously have some limited electrical knowledge but that does not seem to extend to processes used in the last 50 or so years. There are, in some parts of the world, some section of the old pressurised distribution mains, which are outdated and would be replaced except to cost would be prohibitive unless essential.

Now you are suggesting comms cables are pressurised?  So now you suggest that air is injected between the sheath and the conductor. You may not be aware, but air contains moisture and unless completely dried will inject moisture which would condense immediately after any restriction.

it just show how someone who has spent 40 years working in an industry still has no idea why or what they are doing. You may need to catch up. The world is now modern, we no longer go shopping with horse and carts, the great depression ended and Siam has changed it name, althought it still living in the same era as you, apparently.

6 hours ago, Basil B said:

It is not the electricity c

But what are those transformers i see on the poles next to the cables? They look very heavy, are they downconverters who convert high voltage to 220 ?

Do we also have them in Europe? Never seen them.

6 hours ago, Thian said:

But what are those transformers i see on the poles next to the cables? They look very heavy, are they downconverters who convert high voltage to 220 ?

Do we also have them in Europe? Never seen them.

seems all you read was that part you quoted, please read the whole post...

"Do we also have them in Europe?" communications companies in the UK do not string their cables from electricity pole and pylons. 

On 8/24/2016 at 0:21 PM, Rorri said:

Completely different subject, NBN is still under construction, but hey, you've had your said, hope you feel good.

And this is about Thailand..

Hey you melon you were the one who mentioned Australia in the first place, hope you like having your say telling people not to do as you already have and by the way any Internet service is always under construction.

7 hours ago, Billy Bloggs said:

Hey you melon you were the one who mentioned Australia in the first place, hope you like having your say telling people not to do as you already have and by the way any Internet service is always under construction.

Hey melon head, I mentioned Australia as an example of how cables can be buried. Damn some melon heads are so thick.

I re-post it just for you.

" Do what they do in Australia, put in the underground cable/infrastructure, then move customers onto it, then hey, remove the overhead cables, Thailand, it is not rocket science. Would you like me to help...lol "

Edited by Rorri