Resident visa at consulate's only

Nick ZepTepi

Would like to know what part of the "system" needs fixing.I got one quite a while ago when they were issued at the Imm Office opp Promenda to get my yellow book.

The young guy, who now works at GT4, was sitting there on a computer entering the name and address details  then printing the cert out.Took all of 5 minutes.

It was lunchtime and he kindly took my application and 500 baht with a come back after lunch tomorrow

We hear a lot about Imm "systems"....... on line appointments ,bar codes in passports they all seem to fall in a heap .

I'm calculating the cost of a return flight plus the embassy fee against how many official tickets paid at the proper office, I'm not giving tea money anymore.

Maybe 15-20 tickets?

Maybe just maybe they'll update whatever needs it sooner rather than later.

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

this is the second time chiang mai immigrationhas suspended the CR. The first time it happened too many complaining it was free, I guess there will be some real whining when one pays 1500 to 200baht for what is free. It makes 500baht look real good

this is the second time chiang mai immigrationhas suspended the CR. The first time it happened too many complaining it was free, I guess there will be some real whining when one pays 1500 to 200baht for what is free. It makes 500baht look real good

Plus the trip to Bangkok for some

1 hour ago, Dipterocarp said:

And yet various posts on many threads  state securing a Yellow Book is a "waste of time or "useless"...

Well it might have been many moons ago but its not now. (whisper)  No annual fee as yet.

Get the YB, when you can, and get the ID card too,the more you have the less you may need.

Who knows what's round the corner:)

Here is what the U.S. Consulate issues in lieu of the Immigration Residency Certificate.  1,750 baht.   They sent the below email (in part),,,,

Thai Driver’s License Affidavit

>The Consular Section of the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai is pleased to provide limited U.S. citizen services during our temporary closure (Sep. 12-Oct. 31, 2016) in Chiang Mai on Thursday, September 22nd, 2016 from 8:30 AM – 11:30 AM at: The American Corner, Chiang Mai University Library (1st floor).

Services will be provided by appointment only.  Appointments can be made at:  https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=CHN&appcode=1

2 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Here is what the U.S. Consulate issues in lieu of the Immigration Residency Certificate.  1,750 baht.   They sent the below email (in part),,,,

Thai Driver’s License Affidavit

>The Consular Section of the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai is pleased to provide limited U.S. citizen services during our temporary closure (Sep. 12-Oct. 31, 2016) in Chiang Mai on Thursday, September 22nd, 2016 from 8:30 AM – 11:30 AM at: The American Corner, Chiang Mai University Library (1st floor).

Services will be provided by appointment only.  Appointments can be made at:  https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=CHN&appcode=1

1,750 baht makes the Thai Immigration fee of 500 baht look like a giveaway. 

David

Go to your local amphoe, they will tell you what is required. You don't need to own the place to get a yellow book.

That's a big cop out.
I'm sure you've read that the local immigration at Chiang Mai have stopped doing them. They are the local amphoe.
Yellow books are not issued to people on tourist visas.

Thanks for your valuable input

The immigration is not responsible for housebooks. You don't need a residence certificate for a housbook.

If you rent long term, regardless of your visa, you can bring witnesses to the amphoe/district office and apply for a yellow housebook.

Both, immigration/visa and local registration have nothing to do with each other and are not linked.

10 minutes ago, MadMac said:

The immigration is not responsible for housebooks. You don't need a residence certificate for a housbook.

If you rent long term, regardless of your visa, you can bring witnesses to the amphoe/district office and apply for a yellow housebook.

Both, immigration/visa and local registration have nothing to do with each other and are not linked.

Not correct. There are amphurs that do require a require a CR for a YTB.

9 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Not correct. There are amphurs that do require a require a CR for a YTB.

Sure, TiT. No doubt. But it's not part of the standard requirements.

CNX should be fairly straight forward. Nothing to lose to give it a try.

1 minute ago, MadMac said:

Sure, TiT. No doubt. But it's not part of the standard requirements.

CNX should be fairly straight forward. Nothing to lose to give it a try.

Thats where your wrong. In most cases it is required. As I say you need to ask first.

No, it is not required and I know that from myself and a number of counterparts. I do agree it may be handled differently in different locations.

Point is, go there and ask, instead of complaining that you can't feed corrupt agents anymore. May be easier than you thought and saves you a lot of headaches and money in the future. But as they say her, entirely up to you :)

Or you can marvel at how the U.S. Consulate is responding to the situation.  They had planned the remodeling long before CM Immigration decided to shoot themselves in the foot and stop issuing Cert of Res. when it became evident that they'd no longer be able to "outsource" that duty to an "outside contractor".  The U.S. has heard the distress of their citizens and has responded with their special event on Sept 22 at CMU where they'll process an amazingly high number of citizens.  They've put this together on very short notice and with an on-line appointment system, no less!  Gee, I wonder why CM Immigration can't figure out how to implement a new on-line appointment system after bringing down the previous one over a year ago for "revisions".  

I fully expect that the U.S. Consulate will have additional Citizen Service days during the time that the local Consulate is closed for remodeling, also.  

Sure, you can whine about paying $50 to them for a notary stamp, but you'll get a receipt and know the money isn't going into the pocket of some corrupt official.  Remember, it's a Thai gov't regulation that you produce a Cert. of Residency to obtain a TDL, transfer a vehicle or engage in some other legal matter.  Or that you need a notary stamp for an Income Letter for a Visa Extension.  It's not a U.S. gov't requirement.  They're merely providing a way for you to fulfill this requirement and doing so very creatively and as easily as possible, given the circumstances.   

That's a big cop out.
I'm sure you've read that the local immigration at Chiang Mai have stopped doing them. They are the local amphoe. `@
Yellow books are not issued to people on tourist visas.

Thanks for your valuable input

No, it is not required and I know that from myself and a number of counterparts. I do agree it may be handled differently in different locations.

Point is, go there and ask, instead of complaining that you can't feed corrupt agents anymore. May be easier than you thought and saves you a lot of headaches and money in the future. But as they say her, entirely up to you [emoji4]

On 9/3/2016 at 9:57 PM, NancyL said:

Or you can marvel at how the U.S. Consulate is responding to the situation.  They had planned the remodeling long before CM Immigration decided to shoot themselves in the foot and stop issuing Cert of Res. when it became evident that they'd no longer be able to "outsource" that duty to an "outside contractor".  The U.S. has heard the distress of their citizens and has responded with their special event on Sept 22 at CMU where they'll process an amazingly high number of citizens.  They've put this together on very short notice and with an on-line appointment system, no less!  Gee, I wonder why CM Immigration can't figure out how to implement a new on-line appointment system after bringing down the previous one over a year ago for "revisions".  

I fully expect that the U.S. Consulate will have additional Citizen Service days during the time that the local Consulate is closed for remodeling, also.  

Sure, you can whine about paying $50 to them for a notary stamp, but you'll get a receipt and know the money isn't going into the pocket of some corrupt official.  Remember, it's a Thai gov't regulation that you produce a Cert. of Residency to obtain a TDL, transfer a vehicle or engage in some other legal matter.  Or that you need a notary stamp for an Income Letter for a Visa Extension.  It's not a U.S. gov't requirement.  They're merely providing a way for you to fulfill this requirement and doing so very creatively and as easily as possible, given the circumstances.   

The notary stamp is required by Thailand, the $50 fee is a U.S. requirement that no one in the mainland U.S. would ever have to pay. So much for U.S. Citizen Services. 

David