GSB hack: ATM malware gang have escaped abroad, say police

webfact

**Panya said that the gang was the same as one that had operated in Taiwan in July and Malaysia in 2014. There is also a suggestion that Thai nationals might be complicit in the crime.

Round them up and confirm if they were involved and if they were then put the thumb screws to them and make them give up their accomplices and spill the beans.

**A meeting will be held between the banks, government and police on Friday to discuss what happened and prepare preventative measures for the future.

Yes.....preventative measures...very important.

: Go out and police the Go Go bar entertainment areas and frisk all foreigners and make them take a piss test

: Raid the Massage Parlors.

: Transfer some police officers to inactive posts

: Make a nationwide public announcement telling everyone: "Be Happy"

Those measures will soon fix the problem....lol

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

The Taiwanese report suggested they connected a device to the ATMs, while this report suggests some malware was on the inserted ATM card itself. Either way, that a machine has an accessible programming point, or the ATM card reader allows programming commands to pass seems very lapse.

Clever operation yet demonstrates the security naivety of the programmers.

These 5 hackers were known and still they all escaped Thailand!   Why?

I hope they can be located by Interpol  police and charged and jailed.

Geezer

It took the bank some time to find out what had happend.
Then they called the police.
Next step is check the CCD security camera's so more time lost.
By that time the gang left Thailand.

The bank and or police check with interpol. ID are now known.
Gang must travel on false passports as I am sure Taiwan has an international warrant out for them.

My guess the actual "hackers" never do the footwork and stay safely at home and have some other guys do the dirty high risk part of the job with remote support.
That way its new faces each time they hit a bank.

19 hours ago, apalink_thailand said:

12 THB million in cash, stuffed into a suitcase and then, presumably, flown out with the perps on a commercial airline (also presumably). Wherever they ended up (probably somewhere in Asia), they now have to convert this cash into some other major currency since THB useless outside of Thailand.  Interesting.

They can use Hawala Banking. Untraceable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawala

On 8/24/2016 at 6:00 PM, Muhendis said:

I really don't understand what has happened here. The ATM is, as far as I am aware, just a dumb user interface. The user inserts their card which identifies an account to the bank the user then inputs a pin which confirms the account.

So.

How did the hackers bypass the account system to gain access to the bank's money. Could they have invented a system for opening a new account via the ATM? No, because there is a requirement for the bank to verify the authenticity of prospective account owner at the human level. Also the account needs money in it to withdraw. 

The bank say it was their money and not the customers so how does their (the banks) system manage to give access to corporate funds through an ATM?

Its an inside job.

As far as I understand and know, the ATM's are booted up in service mode by entering a Pin code on the infected machines.