You want your girl to be your best friend?

JJGreen

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you keep your enemies closer...

but, really, just be careful you don't pillow talk your entire lifestory,

all the nitty gritty stuff, as it will be remembered,

and one day come back and haunt you.

Let your heart out, and be seen by Thais as lower, and lose any respect they might have had for you, when you have nothing left to hide

The love and romance will decline over time, and would be left of your relationship if your dearest isn't your best friend? And most certainly when it's your best friend of the opposit sex. Or try explaining to her how an other woman you know is not just a friend but your best female friend. 555

On a more serious note: Ofcourse your darling/girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse should be your best friend. Though they should be eachother's over first. You should feel good spending a lot of time together ranging from casual strawls to conversations and having having fun together in the kitchen (cooking), bedroom and so on. My dear wife was my dearest love and best friend. She knew more about me then any other person.

And why not? Unless you have something to hide and are one of those people who keeps their passwords hidden because you love shouldn't be able to access your phone, mail and such or your hers. To which I say 'why'? I had 100% access to any of her stuff and she to mine. Doesn't mean we would actual bother to track eachothers every move like some kind of obsessed phycopath. In my opinion in a truely good relationship you become one. 

The love and romance will decline over time, and would be left of your relationship if your dearest isn't your best friend? And most certainly when it's your best friend of the opposit sex. Or try explaining to her how an other woman you know is not just a friend but your best female friend. 555

On a more serious note: Ofcourse your darling/girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse should be your best friend. Though they should be eachother's over first. You should feel good spending a lot of time together ranging from casual strawls to conversations and having having fun together in the kitchen (cooking), bedroom and so on. My dear wife was my dearest love and best friend. She knew more about me then any other person.

And why not? Unless you have something to hide and are one of those people who keeps their passwords hidden because you love shouldn't be able to access your phone, mail and such or your hers. To which I say 'why'? I had 100% access to any of her stuff and she to mine. Doesn't mean we would actual bother to track eachothers every move like some kind of obsessed phycopath. In my opinion in a truely good relationship you become one. 

You make a compelling case donutz...personally I'd find that scenario suffocating at times...

I don't see how the typical foreigner can realistically call his Thai partner his best friend if he doesn't speak Thai and her English is clunky pidgin. 

How can you communicate without sharing a common language?

If you speak, read and write Thai, no problem but what percentage of expats do?

Unfortunately, a lot of the foreign men who come to live here are incredibly needy and can't bear to be alone or without a confidante. Installing a Thai partner you can barely talk to is among the daftest things you can do here

8 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

I don't see how the typical foreigner can realistically call his Thai partner his best friend if he doesn't speak Thai and her English is clunky pidgin. 

Unfortunately, a lot of the foreign men who come to live here are incredibly needy and can't bear to be alone or without a confidante. Installing a Thai partner you can barely talk to is among the daftest things you can do here

If your partner does not speak English and you don't speak Thai isn't that a good way for both to learn English and Thai?  I know my Thai significantly improved when my GF did not speak English.

How do deaf and/or dumb folk get on...?

Often by being with other deaf people. Bkk has a large deaf population and a lot of farang deaf guys come here to meet the deaf girls... They would comunicate on a higher level through sign language than a lot of speak enabled farang/thai couples.

Adopt a Soi Dog.  They also will protect the house from poison snakes and scorpions and robbers for a fraction of what a GF costs. 

And they will always be happy to see you even when drunk and not showered. 

Someone recently started a thread on soi dog adoption...

Unfortunately, a lot of the foreign men who come to live here are incredibly needy and can't bear to be alone or without a confidante
. Installing a Thai partner you can barely talk to is among the daftest things you can do here

I don't get that situation either. I've known guys who can barely speak Thai and their GFs have basic English...yet they claim the gf or wife is their best friend.
Maybe that is a secret to close and lasting friendship for some...communicate less often

Which just shows that communication does not necessarily need a spoken language. Take me for instance, my hansum smile is well known where l live to communicate...:wub:

It doesn't need to he spoken but the deaf people still are communicating in a common language even if not spoken.

2 hours ago, Scotwight said:

If your partner does not speak English and you don't speak Thai isn't that a good way for both to learn English and Thai?  I know my Thai significantly improved when my GF did not speak English.

I couldn't say

If you've got the patience then, yeah maybe but, personally, I like to have the basics (ie common language) in place from the get-go.

Who wants to have to work hard on establishing a basic medium of communication when having a common language often means you can quickly find out if you're incompatible beyond the bed chamber? 

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I am English, my wife is Thai, we will never think the same on issues, to many cultural differences, but we get on great. I have learned how to approach the differences, even if l have to ignore a subject because of those differences..

Yes but this isn't about making a marriage smooth-sailing, is it?

It's about making a Thai woman your best friend. I don't see how that can happen without sharing a common language

I never ignored any subject with my best friend who, obviously, spoke fluent English

Having said that, if you don't want to talk to your "best friend" about anything deeper than the next round of cold ones from the fridge, you're all good

Edited by Agent Sumo

My wife is definitely my best friend and the only person I trust completely.  We have been together for 19 years and share interests, lifestyle and language.  We both speak each other’s language and switch back and forth with ease.  There is a twenty year age difference but that leads to synergies which enrich both our lives.  I can’t imagine a better, more loving relationship than I have with my wife.:wub:

I couldn't live like most couples I know but fortunately I don't have to.  It has been brought to my attention that despite how bad some relationships look on the surface, they are often the best relationship either person has ever known, so I have stopped judging.  If I find it too painful to watch, I simply limit our interaction and don't get involved.

Edited by villagefarang

1 minute ago, transam said:

Perhaps you don't understand how Trans approaches his life in LOS..

And if you think married folk in the UK get on fab cos they both speak English your are mistaken.. :gigglem:

Well obviously, I don't know you so how could I?

I didn't say married folks in the UK get on fab because they share a common language, did I?

Best friends do, though

2 hours ago, transam said:

Sometimes they break the odd finger or 2 in a big argument........................:coffee1:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Adopt a Soi Dog.  They also will protect the house from poison snakes and scorpions and robbers for a fraction of what a GF costs. And they will always be happy to see you even when drunk and not showered.----scotwrite

Yes just make sure you get a good looking one Scott----you obviously have a very high standard............:coffee1:

Edited by oxo1947

15 hours ago, tifino said:

you keep your enemies closer...

but, really, just be careful you don't pillow talk your entire lifestory,

all the nitty gritty stuff, as it will be remembered,

and one day come back and haunt you.

Let your heart out, and be seen by Thais as lower, and lose any respect they might have had for you, when you have nothing left to hide

It's never a good idea to let your current partner know anything about former partners.

As for best friends, caught my best friend shagging my husband, I can live without best friends now (and without a husband).

3 hours ago, transam said:

im profoundly deaf ,and have had the same thai gf for 3 years now . her english isnt good ,and its very hard most of the time to communicate on the same level.that said ,iv found most thais dont have the level of comprehension to understand people with hearing problem .  so i just smile alot   :D

2 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Often by being with other deaf people. Bkk has a large deaf population and a lot of farang deaf guys come here to meet the deaf girls... They would comunicate on a higher level through sign language than a lot of speak enabled farang/thai couples.

really ? can you tell me more about that please ? or maybe even some contacts ?