Racing Biker Wipes Out Street Vendor on Second Road, Pattaya

webfact

Racing Biker Wipes Out Street Vendor on Second Road

pat66.jpg

PATTAYA: -- At 2am, on the morning of August 25, Pattaya police were called to a serious accident on Second Road, central Pattaya.

Fifty-eight-year old street vendor, Mrs Sanom Srisakul was being treated, by medics, for head injuries before being taken to Banglamung Hospital.

A black Zoomer X motorcycle was lying in the road and Mrs Sanom’s handcart was smashed and her goods scattered across the street.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/230781/racing-biker-wipes-street-vendor-second-road/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-08-25

2 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

" Witnesses said the rider, thirty-three-year old Mr Phukrit Rungtechanon, was speeding and swerved around a baht bus that had stopped for passengers."

Hmm good. I read the TV and link story. Maybe I need more coffee? Or less? "Doctor! He needs MORE coffee and LESS coffee!" They must have added it between my post and now.... haha. Cheers

20 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Fortunately nobody has been seriously hurt.

If the bike rider was in fact speeding it is a shame he was not hurt - seriously

Hey I hear you. They race up and down outside my condo every night and I wish them the same "hit a tree" They know the rules of course the BIB roll up the carpet and go home at sunset and they come out and control the roadways till sunrise. Its a trade off the BIB gets to play God during the day but the bikers control the night. 

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Hey I hear you. They race up and down outside my condo every night and I wish them the same "hit a tree" They know the rules of course the BIB roll up the carpet and go home at sunset and they come out and control the roadways till sunrise. Its a trade off the BIB gets to play God during the day but the bikers control the night. 

Bikers use to race outside of my condo on the main road at BTS Krungthonburi station, right across the river from Sathorn. It was loud and wakes everyone up at night, many even ride opposite direction as well. Since the army came into power, there was rampant crack downs on these racers. Apparently this stretch of road is pretty popular, just last week I saw police round up 20-30 bikes at 11pm on the Saturday. I couldn't be more happier, I always wish they would crash and hit a tree as well.

6 hours ago, catman20 said:

i bet she pulled across his path without even looking,,,,,,,,,,,,, seen it a million times here. some of these people dont have the brains they were born with.

And I have seen "millions" of brainless cretins racing down Second Road...

Witnesses said the rider, thirty-three-year old Mr Phukrit Rungtechanon, was speeding and swerved around a baht bus that had stopped for passengers.

But still some people will make pathetic excuses for law breakers, anyone with half a brain can see from the picture that the bike was toning it when it hit the the vendors cart...

In the late 70's whilst working for the HK government and living in a condo block with other senior police and transport department officials, we were always getting disturbed in the early hours by a gang of boy racers on the quiet road that ran behind our condo block towards Aberdeen.

the police did try to put a stop to it, but the bikers always seemed to be one strep ahead. Of course the police could not waste man hours by putting a constant block on the road, so as soon as their backs were turned the bikers came back again.

the problem was solved when someone in the condo, and very late at night walked up the road to a particularly tight bend in the road and laid down 3-4 litres of oil.

it was literally only hours after doing this that the bikers did their thing, and almost all ended up on their rear ends in the surrounding trees, with many damaged bikes.

Problem solved, they never came back.

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

And I have seen "millions" of brainless cretins racing down Second Road...

But still some people will make pathetic excuses for law breakers, anyone with half a brain can see from the picture that the bike was toning it when it hit the the vendors cart...

and these vending carts always follow the highway code RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

16 minutes ago, catman20 said:

and these vending carts always follow the highway code RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Thailand has no highway code as per the UK...

There are road laws, and now doubt someone could say they may at times break the law, but never seen a street vendor toning it down Second Road without any care for other road users and pedestrians.

Having been nearly whipped out on more than one occasions trying to cross Second road by speeding motor bikes weaving in and out of traffic I would be more than happy if the Army were called in to deal with this problem, may be a "Shoot to Kill" policy would sort out this problem very quickly... :gigglem:

Edited by Basil B

1 hour ago, DipStick said:

In the late 70's whilst working for the HK government and living in a condo block with other senior police and transport department officials, we were always getting disturbed in the early hours by a gang of boy racers on the quiet road that ran behind our condo block towards Aberdeen.

the police did try to put a stop to it, but the bikers always seemed to be one strep ahead. Of course the police could not waste man hours by putting a constant block on the road, so as soon as their backs were turned the bikers came back again.

the problem was solved when someone in the condo, and very late at night walked up the road to a particularly tight bend in the road and laid down 3-4 litres of oil.

it was literally only hours after doing this that the bikers did their thing, and almost all ended up on their rear ends in the surrounding trees, with many damaged bikes.

Problem solved, they never came back.

No suitable bends on Second Road...:(

The guy riding the bike was 33. Not exactly a young boy racer. 

It is a shame that fundamental attribution error creates so much hatred and contempt.

Yes, he was accelerating past the baht bus, possibly fed up of following it's erratic driving and swung out to pass it when it suddenly pulled over to pick someone up. He was riding a Zoomer X motorcycle, a scooter, not exactly known for it's speed. The shock headline hyper sensationalises this far beyond it's importance. 

An unfortunate accident. Hope the guy was ok and the street vendor can get compensation. 

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"A black Zoomer X motorcycle was lying in the road..."

Zoomer X is not a motorcycle. This guy is not a "biker".

Zoomer X is a over grown scooter. At best.

It is a bike with a motor on it capable of about 60mph. And in the context of it hitting you hard 'motorcycle' will suffice!

18 hours ago, Basil B said:

Thailand has no highway code as per the UK...

There are road laws, and now doubt someone could say they may at times break the law, but never seen a street vendor toning it down Second Road without any care for other road users and pedestrians.

Having been nearly whipped out on more than one occasions trying to cross Second road by speeding motor bikes weaving in and out of traffic I would be more than happy if the Army were called in to deal with this problem, may be a "Shoot to Kill" policy would sort out this problem very quickly... :gigglem:

it may not be known as the highway code here but the laws of the road are pretty much the same the world over

3 hours ago, catman20 said:

it may not be known as the highway code here but the laws of the road are pretty much the same the world over

In the UK it is a booklet, produced and printed by government departments.

The Highway Code is a set of information, advice, guides and mandatory rules for all road users in the United Kingdom. Its objective is to promote road safety. The Highway Code applies to animals, pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and drivers. The 2004 version, for example, contained 307 numbered rules and 9 annexes. The Highway Code gives information on road signs, road markings, vehicle markings, and road safety. The annexes include information on vehicle maintenance, license requirements, documentation, penalties, and vehicle security.

Any failure to comply with the Code is not an offence in itself, but can be taken into account by a court. The mandatory rules reflect the Statute Law, which may (and usually does) provide a separate penalty.

The highway code was first published in 1931 as a booklet and has been regularly updated to reflect current practices. It is prepared by the Department for Transport and the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, and is published by The Stationery Office in electronic form and as a printed book. Most copies are bought by learner drivers preparing for their driving test. In 2004, for example, over one million copies of the Highway Code were sold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Highway_Code

Does Thailand have a similar official document???

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

your taking things to the ex-stream what printed in the highway code is basically rules and common sense of the road, you really need to find some else to do with your time. 

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

Yes Thailand does have the Land Traffic Act, this is a translation of it - http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

It reads like a poor translation of the UK highway code. I have seen it suggested that people can use the UK highway code as a substitute. The problem with this is there are a few contradictions. The biggest being that except for roundabouts, the LTA says "give way to the left", not right as is the UK's approach. 

However the bigger problem in Thailand is assuming that people will follow the rules! Many have never been taught the rules properly, so how can they know what rules they should be following? We can also add in the "Mai pen rai" attitude and survival instincts I.E. not stopping at traffic lights for fear of being rear ended. Just following the rules could get someone killed. 

9 hours ago, catman20 said:

your taking things to the ex-stream what printed in the highway code is basically rules and common sense of the road, you really need to find some else to do with your time. 

The highway code is a legal document that can be cited in a court of law. "Any failure to comply with the Code is not an offence in itself, but can be taken into account by a court"

11 hours ago, CarolJadzia said:

Many have never been taught the rules properly, so how can they know what rules they should be following? 

Thai drivers follow one rule..."I don't care".....It's that simple...I've driven all over the world and here in Pattaya it's the worst I've ever seen, worst. People not only don't look when pulling onto roads, they drive the opposite direction of traffic and expect everyone to yield for them.(this includes on Sukhumvit Highway) I would never overpass a Song Tow which has stopped to pick up/drop off passengers. It's a built in blind spot which could include not only street vendors but pedestrians and other vehicles. That reminds me of yesterday, four Indian males walking four abreast on Soi Bouikow. Four...and didn't even notice or care about near death experiences as they did. It's again a wicked place to drive, walk, eat, or even be outside. 

6 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Thai drivers follow one rule..."I don't care".....It's that simple...I've driven all over the world and here in Pattaya it's the worst I've ever seen, worst. People not only don't look when pulling onto roads, they drive the opposite direction of traffic and expect everyone to yield for them.(this includes on Sukhumvit Highway) I would never overpass a Song Tow which has stopped to pick up/drop off passengers. It's a built in blind spot which could include not only street vendors but pedestrians and other vehicles. That reminds me of yesterday, four Indian males walking four abreast on Soi Bouikow. Four...and didn't even notice or care about near death experiences as they did. It's again a wicked place to drive, walk, eat, or even be outside. 

So you think drivers are caring elsewhere? Sorry but I have to disagree. I have seen all you mention on the UK's roads, it's only the frequency that is different. You say "Worst" so it sounds like you already know this. Personally I found it easier to ride across southern Thailand than it is to ride in the UK. In los I keep my guard up all the time, I assume the cars will pull out, or that there could be someone overtaking on my side of the road at any time. That way I am not surprised when they do. On the UK's roads many more people follow the rules, therefore when someone does break one it can be more of a surprise. But on a motorcycle a "Surprise" can be fatal. I can list hundreds of incidents of people breaking the rules on UK's roads. Every time I ride I will see people breaking the rules. 

You say you saw "four Indian males" walking four abreast? Indians? Not Thais? Is that not a contradiction to your statement?

You claim there was a near death experience. Many Indians, along with Thai's, believe this life is part of a ongoing experience towards enlightenment. They see death as part of a learning curve and the point of it determined by a greater force. So just the assumption that they do not care does not match their beliefs. They also attribute cause and effect differently to the general western view. There is research on how east and west differ in there approaches, see: Culture, attribution and automaticity: a social cognitive neuroscience view