Commercial banks assure of security of their systems

webfact

Commercial banks assure of security of their systems

912_Bank-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Following reports of several foreign ATM skimming gangs stealing cash from ATMs of a state bank, commercial banks yesterday assure the public that the country’s banking system is secure and beginning next year fingerprint scans will begin to be used to ensure greater security.

Senior executive vice president of CIMB Bank Thailand Mr Adisorn Sermchaiwong stated that at present Thailand’s banking system is very secure either with regards to over-counter transactions or electronic transactions.

Furthermore, the Bank of Thailand has set protocols specifying that any clients wishing to make changes to important details with their accounts must do so in person with actual identity cards.

These apply to all commercial banks in the country, he said.

The Bank of Thailand has also allowed commercial banks in the country to carry out trials on electronic fingerprint scans for banking transactions, he said.

Expectations are that the system will be widely used by the beginning of next year if the trials are satisfactory, he said.

In light of the recent incident of skimmers hacking into the Government Savings Bank’s ATM machines and stealing  insubstantial amount of the bank’s money, all commercial banks assured that they place the highest importance to ensuring the security of all their client’s accounts.

All have confirmed that their ATM systems have their highest security standards and they have not discovered any irregularities with their respective systems.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/commercial-banks-assure-security-systems/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-26

I can tell, i have not being using ATM for almost a year. I dont trust them and the banks ATM. I always goes inside a bank and ask for a sum on the terminal, and you don't pay the 200baht fee to.

Edited by carstenp

It's nonsense. Even SCB Easy registration asks for your ATM card pin. They won't invest for more secure systems, that's what it is about. They have been left behind and are prone to more sophisticated attacks. Just don't register with them for anything.

2 hours ago, carstenp said:

I can tell, i have not being using ATM for almost a year. I dont trust them and the banks ATM. I always goes inside a bank and ask for a sum on the terminal, and you don't pay the 200baht fee to.

If you have a thai ATM card, then you also not need to pay a fee at ATM.

There is malware out that targets these machines. It was described in a technical magazine email in February this year. What is being looked is Near Field Communications  (NFC). An ATM machine was hacked back in 2006 at the Black Hat convention back in 2006

maybe if they  replaced any money lost through their machines due to illegal activities/fraud to the customers we would believe them but in most cases they simply do nothing and say its the customers problem. Even the latest case  was stalled until the person that had lost the money took it to the public arena and the bank started getting bad publicity  so they offered a payment, havent heard if the phone company responsible for giving the crooks a new number have come to any sort of restitution but then that would be like trying to blood out of a stone with most thai businesses, was surprised the bank actually offered money. In Australia if it is proven that the money was obtained from the banks illegally they replaced it, need the same here