One Dead as Minivan Hits Bike on Sukhumvit Road

webfact

1 minute ago, robertthebruce said:

as we all know driving here is not for the faint hearted...

deaths here are a daily event..whether it's a Car, Bus,Scooter,Bike...you name it...

driver training is Zero..

shocking for us, but it's accepted here as part of day to day living....Sadly...

Yes very true,

There is no consequences  for there actions,  

the police dont prosecute the offenders.

small fine on your way,   that just not right.

A Hiso can kill people on the roads, and nothing is done to them, money changes hands if your lucky.

all sorted,  shameful.

Edited by onemorechang

10 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

"deaths here are a daily event..whether it's a Car, Bus,Scooter,Bike...you name it..." 

yes and? That is the same everywhere. Just the numbers that change, five a day on UK roads, over one hundred a day on United States roads, Internationally it's over three thousand deaths a day on Average. 

Well that is simply not the case, there are driving and riding schools all over Thailand now. Many of the motorcycle manufacturers have purpose built training sites and I know that there are schools now offering on road training. I was challenged on that when I suggested there was very little driver training on TVF just a few days ago, there are now lots of state registered driving schools as well.   If you would like to discuss what is being taught then that is a whole other topic. But there is plenty of training available for those who choose to take it. 

shocking for us, but it's accepted here as part of day to day living....Sadly...

No it is certainly not just "accepted as daily life by all", but hey, that's correspondence bias for you. Just confirms your opinions. 

59 minutes ago, CarolJadzia said:

yes and? That is the same everywhere. Just the numbers that change, five a day on UK roads, over one hundred a day on United States roads, Internationally it's over three thousand deaths a day on Average. 

Well that is simply not the case, there are driving and riding schools all over Thailand now. Many of the motorcycle manufacturers have purpose built training sites and I know that there are schools now offering on road training. I was challenged on that when I suggested there was very little driver training on TVF just a few days ago, there are now lots of state registered driving schools as well.   If you would like to discuss what is being taught then that is a whole other topic. But there is plenty of training available for those who choose to take it. 

No it is certainly not just "accepted as daily life by all", but hey, that's correspondence bias for you. Just confirms your opinions. 

In a "no failure" culture combined with a reluctance to listen and learn ( Teens Worldwide suffer from this, not just Thais ) I doubt the training is very successful. Then you have to investigate the curriculum. Judging by the nonsense taught to my wife and previous GF in a Pattaya driving school I'm very skeptical.  Some of the bumpkins doing the teaching have little knowledge and mostly superstition and bad habits to pass on. 

You only have to observe motorbike riders stopped at traffic lights. They don't even know which foot they should have down. Car drivers never told to accelerate to the speed of the traffic. None told about blindspot checking before turning. And the simple " Mirror, Indicate, Maneuver" is an unknown concept. 

Edited by Pdaz
Punctuation change

5 hours ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

an someone please tell me why we always hear of deaths and accidents, beatings and killings in Pattaya and other places but never in Bkk?

You don't read much then , plenty of accidents and killings in BKK , just watch Thai channels and the local media in Bangkok.  I would say its more going on in Bangkok but most of it is of no interest for foreigners when only Thais are involved. 

21 minutes ago, balo said:

You don't read much then , plenty of accidents and killings in BKK , just watch Thai channels and the local media in Bangkok.  I would say its more going on in Bangkok but most of it is of no interest for foreigners when only Thais are involved. 

Yes. It's countrywide. Read through some of the Thai language sites and it is non-stop. Rapes, beatings, murder and robberies. Not to mention the litany of car/bike accidents and killings reported daily on the TV news. It's easy to miss if just reading the farang orientated local Pattaya channels and the BBC. 

Edited by Pdaz
typo

10 hours ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Can someone please tell me why we always hear of deaths and accidents, beatings and killings in Pattaya and other places but never in Bkk? Is there some kind of news vacuum here? Or is Bkk the safest place on the planet?

Because this is the Pattaya News Forum, there, that was easy now!!

7 hours ago, CarolJadzia said:

Well that is simply not the case, there are driving and riding schools all over Thailand now.

There are also helmet shops all over Thailand for the past 20 years, doesn't mean more than 10% of the population wears a helmet yet.

6 hours ago, CarolJadzia said:

Sorry, but I have to disagree - there IS an acceptance. If the opposite were true, then where are the protests, the street marches, the citizens' barricades - the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)????? These things do not exist because no one cares, everyone just accepts. I've sensed it, felt it, tasted it for 3 decades.

A couple of decades ago, I read that Thailand had just recorded its highest ever road death toll (it was about 18,000-odd, with 350,000 injuries). End of story. No comment from anyone, least of all the minister for transport. I waited until the next day - not even ONE letter of concern about it in the newspapers - sorry, but that's acceptance. In my country, if the annual road toll goes up by just one, there is a royal commission of inquiry (well, almost ... :) ). 

BTW, both my wife and my daughter went through driver training schools. Two different ones. My wife's was a disgrace, and its only purpose was to ensure she was handed the right papers. I ended up teaching her myself. The one my daughter attended was quite good, but still not up to the standards of home, where my daughter also has a (very hard earned) driver licence. So you might be trying to play up the driving schools for your own purposes, but the bottom line is, not enough are up to standard. In your efforts to market yourself, you also forget that these schools, if they are any good, are only helping new drivers - they can do nothing for the millions who will remain killers on our roads for decades to come (this is a problem of law enforcement).

6 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Yes. It's countrywide. Read through some of the Thai language sites and it is non-stop. Rapes, beatings, murder and robberies. Not to mention the litany of car/bike accidents and killings reported daily on the TV news. It's easy to miss if just reading the farang orientated local Pattaya channels and the BBC. 

Ok, I mean why don't you read about it here on TVF?

58 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Ok, I mean why don't you read about it here on TVF?

The statistics shows that in 2014 there were 2649 homicides, 24237 traffic related deaths , then you can add all the unreported cases.   

I think that would be too much even for Thaivisa. 

Edited by balo

4 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Sorry, but I have to disagree - there IS an acceptance. If the opposite were true, then where are the protests, the street marches, the citizens' barricades - the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)????? These things do not exist because no one cares, everyone just accepts. I've sensed it, felt it, tasted it for 3 decades.

A couple of decades ago, I read that Thailand had just recorded its highest ever road death toll (it was about 18,000-odd, with 350,000 injuries). End of story. No comment from anyone, least of all the minister for transport. I waited until the next day - not even ONE letter of concern about it in the newspapers - sorry, but that's acceptance. In my country, if the annual road toll goes up by just one, there is a royal commission of inquiry (well, almost ... :) ). 

BTW, both my wife and my daughter went through driver training schools. Two different ones. My wife's was a disgrace, and its only purpose was to ensure she was handed the right papers. I ended up teaching her myself. The one my daughter attended was quite good, but still not up to the standards of home, where my daughter also has a (very hard earned) driver licence. So you might be trying to play up the driving schools for your own purposes, but the bottom line is, not enough are up to standard. In your efforts to market yourself, you also forget that these schools, if they are any good, are only helping new drivers - they can do nothing for the millions who will remain killers on our roads for decades to come (this is a problem of law enforcement).

do not forget that many drive without a licence, leave alone any formal learning.

On 8/27/2016 at 11:46 AM, balo said:

The statistics shows that in 2014 there were 2649 homicides, 24237 traffic related deaths , then you can add all the unreported cases.   

I think that would be too much even for Thaivisa. 

Yeah thanks for the stats but how many actually showed up on TVF? Bkk reports are just a fraction of what you read about in Pattaya or Phuket yet Bkk is many times larger than those 2 combined, so explain why there are very few reports about these incidents in Bkk.