Nervous flyer? - not what you want to see outside your aircraft window

webfact

Nervous flyer? - not what you want to see outside your aircraft window

LL2.jpg

Image: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- It is a picture that nervous flyers would rather not see outside their aircraft window. A shredded tire on the aircraft that is already well into its journey.

The picture was taken by a passenger on a Nok Air flight from Don Muang, Bangkok, to Nan province in the north yesterday, reported Sanook.

After thirty minutes the pilot of flight DD8826 that left Bangkok at 4.55pm decided to go back to Don Muang where the 81 passengers landed safely.

Airport director Petch Chancharoen said that the takeoff had been normal and that the pilot had made a request to return after half an hour for safety reasons. 

Both the airport and the airline are investigating and the matter has been reported to aviation authorities, he said, adding that it definitely was not something lying on the runway that caused the tire to be damaged.

All passengers were transferred to another flight and were on their way by 6.30pm.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-26

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, MaiChai said:

Took him 30 mins to decide to return back? 

Makes sense.  Maintain scheduled course and speed whilst considering options.  Fully examine extent of damage and chances of successful landing; whilst considering landing strip and emergency facilities of all available runways - Don Mueang most likely best.  During this time he has also been burning fuel in an attempt to lower the total amount available should things go wrong and a fire breaks out on landing.  Plus it allows time for discussions with HQ and more experienced pilots, and gives time for emergency services to be briefed and ready.

All ended well.

1 minute ago, Romeland said:

How could the wheel be almost level with a passenger window ?  I'm sure you can't see the wheels from your seat in a plane ?

Easy to see the wheels from the window before they are retracted.

5 minutes ago, Romeland said:

How could the wheel be almost level with a passenger window ?  I'm sure you can't see the wheels from your seat in a plane ?

it's probably a high wing turboprop plane so the landing gear is quite visible.

37 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

Makes sense.  Maintain scheduled course and speed whilst considering options.  Fully examine extent of damage and chances of successful landing; whilst considering landing strip and emergency facilities of all available runways - Don Mueang most likely best.  During this time he has also been burning fuel in an attempt to lower the total amount available should things go wrong and a fire breaks out on landing.  Plus it allows time for discussions with HQ and more experienced pilots, and gives time for emergency services to be briefed and ready.

All ended well.

What you said makes perfect sense; and well thought out.

But there is also chance he wanted to go to the toilet. As he was sh.t himself.

10 minutes ago, Romeland said:

Depends on the type of plane. Yesterday's DD8826 was HS-DQB, a Bombardier Dash 8 Q400.

51689_1467428678.jpg

About what I'd expect.   The landing gear was obviously left down, as it should have been, company contact made, and they contacted their engineering department at the destination to see if there was a wheel in stock.  It seems there may not have been, other options may have been explored for a diversion, wheel in stock,  minimal delay, emergency services available, etc., DMK decided, and the aircraft returned.   Fuel burn off may also have been a factor, although I'm not familiar with the type of aircraft, so not sure on that.

Sounds like a fairly routine day at the office to me.

Both the airport and the airline are investigating and the matter has been reported to aviation authorities, he said, adding that it definitely was not something lying on the runway that caused the tire to be damaged.

Yup, the runway looked clean enough looking out of that aicondtitioned office.

A bit like the time I was flying from Darwin to Galiwinku in a single engine 2 seater. I am happily looking at the scenery and the pilot asks "can you hear that miss in the engine". I said no. He said "there it is, do you think we should turn back".

9 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

A bit like the time I was flying from Darwin to Galiwinku in a single engine 2 seater. I am happily looking at the scenery and the pilot asks "can you hear that miss in the engine". I said no. He said "there it is, do you think we should turn back".

Single engined aircraft 'miss' on every flight.   Mostly it's in the mind of the pilot though.

People think the propeller is to propel the aircraft, but it's to keep the pilot cool.   If it stops, he really starts sweating!!

1 hour ago, Romeland said:

On a Bombardier Q-400 ( Dash -8 )  the wings are on top and you can see very well the landing gear and engine.

On an ATR 42 or 72. the wings are also on top but the landing gear is under the fuselage , so you see nothing of the landing ear.

Only the engine.

on a tubo prop they can come from the wing s some landing gear on small twin s are in the wings

I'm sure someone has replied already but if it's a turbo prop plane the landing gear is in the wing, not under like a jet aircraft.