Memories of 2011 as dozens of fancy cars submerged in Bangkok flood waters

rooster59

Memories of 2011 as dozens of fancy cars submerged in Bangkok flood waters

EyWwB5WU57MYnKOuqt5KdNVHiMOtkdU9ybQrpqaVJ2o6y5bluz3QI5.jpg

Image: Thairath

Pictures posted on Facebook reminded Bangkok residents of the amazing floods of 2011 when so much of the city was under water for so long.

The latest snaps were on a page called "Rao rak dan truat" (We love checkpoints) and showed dozens of cars in a Ramkhamhaeng condominium underground car park that were completely submerged in the floods after heavy rain on Wednesday and Thursday.

The cars were covered in mud with leaves working their way inside the vehicles.

Some posters who shared the story 19,000 times even suggested that the pictures were a con and were in fact from the monumental floods of 2011.

But eagle eyed reporters checked the number plates of many of the classy vehicles and say they had the registration of 5กธ XXXX marking them as recent models indicating that the photos were surely taken this week.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-27

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

I feel sorry for the less fortunate who are affected. Rich people who get their cars damaged? Not so much. Not at all really. 

My house was under nearly 2 meters of water for 7 weeks. The Insurance Co loss adjuster approved a claim for nearly 3 million Baht. They finally gave me 200,000 Baht. I had two new cars, one of which I paid 850,000 and got 400,000 back for it after repair, the other was in the Dealer's for 8 months. 4 motorbikes destroyed. Complete re landscaping of the house. Complete re decorating and replacement of all appliances. I don't feel sorry for myself or wish harm on others, but I think your comment is inappropriate.

10 minutes ago, Woodsie888 said:

My house was under nearly 2 meters of water for 7 weeks. The Insurance Co loss adjuster approved a claim for nearly 3 million Baht. They finally gave me 200,000 Baht. I had two new cars, one of which I paid 850,000 and got 400,000 back for it after repair, the other was in the Dealer's for 8 months. 4 motorbikes destroyed. Complete re landscaping of the house. Complete re decorating and replacement of all appliances. I don't feel sorry for myself or wish harm on others, but I think your comment is inappropriate.

Whatever anybody's personal circumstances it must be a terrible thing to have happen. Can you say why, if you were as you suggest fully insured, you only got back 200k from a suggested 3m?

Unfortunately I think now all buildings insurance cover is severely limited for flood cover if any at all.

13 minutes ago, Woodsie888 said:

Lucky you had the money to resolve it all then. Most people in Thailand don't, though no fault of their own except for being gullible and believing that anyone in Thailand will look after them.. I agree with the original poster.

Winnie

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But eagle eyed reporters checked the number plates of many of the classy vehicles and say they had the registration of 5กธ XXXX marking them as recent models indicating that the photos were surely taken this week.

Look at that: Investigative reporting is alive!

46 minutes ago, topt said:

Whatever anybody's personal circumstances it must be a terrible thing to have happen. Can you say why, if you were as you suggest fully insured, you only got back 200k from a suggested 3m?

Unfortunately I think now all buildings insurance cover is severely limited for flood cover if any at all.

I was given written authority to proceed with the repairs which I did at a cost far in excess of the approved sum. I was well aware I would have to makeup the shortfall. What I wasn't anticipating however was a denial of liability upon going to the Company for payment of the claim. The Manager had a very large stack of denied claims sitting on his side board and told me he had been instructed to deny as many as possible. He said I was welcome to sue if I liked or accept a cheque then and there. I have no appetite for any legal dispute in Thailand and it was a super easy decision to make, especially when I found out who the effective owner of the Company is. The final insult was receiving a post dated cheque.

The cars were another interesting saga. The cheaper car cost 750,000 to reinstate. I asked for it to be written off, to no avail. The Manufacturer got involved in the other car's repair and actually loaned me a brand new car for 4 months whilst awaiting a new wiring loom to be manufactured in Europe.

6 minutes ago, Woodsie888 said:

I was given written authority to proceed with the repairs which I did at a cost far in excess of the approved sum. I was well aware I would have to makeup the shortfall. What I wasn't anticipating however was a denial of liability upon going to the Company for payment of the claim. The Manager had a very large stack of denied claims sitting on his side board and told me he had been instructed to deny as many as possible. He said I was welcome to sue if I liked or accept a cheque then and there. I have no appetite for any legal dispute in Thailand and it was a super easy decision to make, especially when I found out who the effective owner of the Company is. The final insult was receiving a post dated cheque.

The cars were another interesting saga. The cheaper car cost 750,000 to reinstate. I asked for it to be written off, to no avail. The Manufacturer got involved in the other car's repair and actually loaned me a brand new car for 4 months whilst awaiting a new wiring loom to be manufactured in Europe.

Off topic, sorry, but why did a new loom have to be specially manufactured? I used to make up my own looms ( pre computerisation ) and there is nothing in a loom per se that would be damaged by water. Do new car looms have electronic components wired into them?

2 hours ago, LennyW said:

Wow, what a sad sack you are!

Well, it's simple really. Poor people don't have much. Then come the floods and they have nothing. That's awful. 

I'm sure the rich won't lose any sleep not having my sympathy or support for there material items that were damaged and can be replaced. 

By by the way, during the floods I forked out 40,000 to stay down town for a month cos my area was flooded. I wanted a medal but apparently they'd just run out. 

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Off topic, sorry, but why did a new loom have to be specially manufactured? I used to make up my own looms ( pre computerisation ) and there is nothing in a loom per se that would be damaged by water. Do new car looms have electronic components wired into them?

They're unique to Thailand on this particular vehicle. I do have some useful contacts who verified this. Wiring looms on modern cars are pretty complex and they are easily damaged. The battery is in the boot of this car. The car was on an incline and only the boot area was under water, just enough to cover the battery. That's when the fun started. 

I'm working right now, so enough comments from me.

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I feel sorry for the less fortunate who are affected. Rich people who get their cars damaged? Not so much. Not at all really. 

11 minutes ago, Woodsie888 said:

They're unique to Thailand on this particular vehicle. I do have some useful contacts who verified this. Wiring looms on modern cars are pretty complex and they are easily damaged. The battery is in the boot of this car. The car was on an incline and only the boot area was under water, just enough to cover the battery. That's when the fun started. 

2 hours ago, Woodsie888 said:

I can't say that I feel sorry for most people,,,,I looked for a block of land that does not flood even if the city close by (15 Ks) is completely under water,then we built a modest house,,,, I don't like flood water much,I have seen enough of that in North Queensland in Australia,,,,But it seems that people built anywhere,They just don't look/care/plan.

5 hours ago, LennyW said:

Wow, what a sad sack you are!

Sad sack???? I rather agree. This catastrophe has done great harm to the poor but was nothing but an inconvenience to the rich who claimed these chariots on their insurance and went on their merry way. Try and take a Robin Hood approach. 

3 hours ago, Woodsie888 said:

Just curious on what base was it denied. I mean if you had full cover on your car i would suppose it also cover floods. I was in the flood area in 2011 (still am) Thanks to the assurances of the government at that time many did not move their cars. (we moved ours to a friends condo) and our area was flooded many cars were destroyed. We did not get much for the house as we had not much insurance as it went through he bank. Now I got good insurance but if your claim was so easily brushed away I wonder what insurance is worth then.

4 hours ago, Winniedapu said:

Lucky you had the money to resolve it all then. Most people in Thailand don't, though no fault of their own except for being gullible and believing that anyone in Thailand will look after them.. I agree with the original poster.

Winnie

Yes the people in my muh bahn near Bangkok were gullible enough to believe the government at the time (Criminals) who said it would not flood. I wonder why they did not tell people the truth. They had satellite images and areal photographs. I guess too much loss of face for the one with blueberry boots. 

Many people never voted for that party again after the floods because she had flat out lied. They were too gullible (and so was I) to believe what they said was the truth. We wrongly believed we would get accurate information. Good thing we did take precautions with the car. Also good luck that the water came up slow so there was not too much damage to furniture. Could all be stored on the second floor. 

Now this muh bahn has never had problems in the past and never again since because its a bit higher than the rest. Still if we get idiots in charge again who for political gain will meddle with the dams instead of letting the pro's handle it who knows what the future will bring.