Billionaire Richard Branson survives bike crash

rooster59

Billionaire Richard Branson survives bike crash

DANICA KIRKA, Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — Billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson said Friday he thought he was going to die after flying head first off his bicycle in the British Virgin Islands.

The Virgin Group boss hit a hump in the road on Virgin Gorda, one of the islands in the Caribbean, catapulting him into the road. The 66-year-old posted pictures of his bloodied face on social media on Friday, showing the gruesome injuries that included a cracked cheek, torn ligaments and severe cuts.

"My life was literally flashing before my eyes," he wrote. "I really thought I was going to die. I went flying head-first towards the concrete road, but fortunately my shoulder and cheek took the brunt of the impact, and I was wearing a helmet that saved my life."

Branson traveled to Miami to receive medical treatment. He said he was really lucky to have not suffered more serious injuries.

"My biggest hardship is having to drink tea out of a straw," he said.

Branson was training for September's Virgin Strive Challenge, an event in which participants hike, cycle, swim and run from the base of the Matterhorn in the Alps to the summit of Mount Etna in Sicily.

Branson still hopes to take part in the charity event.

"My attitude has always been, if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward," he said.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-27

1 minute ago, rooster59 said:

My life was literally flashing before my eyes," he wrote. "I really thought I was going to die. I went flying head-first towards the concrete road, but fortunately my shoulder and cheek took the brunt of the impact, and I was wearing a helmet that saved my life."

It was a push bike you came off, not a 250Kmph Ducati.

Exaggerate much you big jessie.

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

Not his week...

First Corbyn tries to stitch him up then this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37173048

He added that he was looking forward to meeting Virgin Trains to discuss regulatory issues that needed to be addressed "even before we take them back into public ownership".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37173048

Good to see Corbyn has a sense of humour.

Banged up in a bike accident.  Sometimes we forget that these public figures still put on their pants one leg at a time like the rest of us.  

One day at lunch, a guy in faded blue jeans and a cheap t-shirt and a woman in a sweat suit got out of a small sports car in the parking lot, and walked into the modest little Thai restaurant where I was eating lunch in Redmond, Washington.  One of my Vietnamese students was a waiter there, and when he had a chance he came over to me and brought it to my attention that the richest man in the world (at that time) was seated a couple tables away with his girlfriend.  It was  Bill Gates.  I was flabbergasted that he wasn't in tux 'n' tails, chauffeured, and surrounded by body guards.  Just a regular fella, except for a few billion in assets.  

Bill Gates follows the prevailing culture of the USA Pacific Northwest where wealth is not flaunted, and truly wealthy/successful people do a good job at blending into society when out and about town.  In business, they let their accomplishments speak for themselves, rather than loudly tooting their own horns about how "wonderful" they are as a person.  

Peacocks like Branson could take a lesson.  

45 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

Banged up in a bike accident.  Sometimes we forget that these public figures still put on their pants one leg at a time like the rest of us.  

One day at lunch, a guy in faded blue jeans and a cheap t-shirt and a woman in a sweat suit got out of a small sports car in the parking lot, and walked into the modest little Thai restaurant where I was eating lunch in Redmond, Washington.  One of my Vietnamese students was a waiter there, and when he had a chance he came over to me and brought it to my attention that the richest man in the world (at that time) was seated a couple tables away with his girlfriend.  It was  Bill Gates.  I was flabbergasted that he wasn't in tux 'n' tails, chauffeured, and surrounded by body guards.  Just a regular fella, except for a few billion in assets.  

Bill Gates follows the prevailing culture of the USA Pacific Northwest where wealth is not flaunted, and truly wealthy/successful people do a good job at blending into society when out and about town.  In business, they let their accomplishments speak for themselves, rather than loudly tooting their own horns about how "wonderful" they are as a person.  

I think it is a bit unfair to criticise the man for his natural exuberence. He is a very successful showman, but actually seems to have his feet on the ground. I can think of a few billionaires who are worthy of criticism, and I am sure that there are many more unseen billionaires who definitely deserve to be pilloried, but Branson seems to be a genuinely decent person with sound ethics and a moral compass that runs pretty true.

8 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I think it is a bit unfair to criticise the man for his natural exuberence. He is a very successful showman, but actually seems to have his feet on the ground. I can think of a few billionaires who are worthy of criticism, and I am sure that there are many more unseen billionaires who definitely deserve to be pilloried, but Branson seems to be a genuinely decent person with sound ethics and a moral compass that runs pretty true.

I think he's a ar$e. Listening to him and Connery banging on about what the British should do when they're a pair of tax dodging slubberdegullions makes me sick.

As for his ethics...

Virgin Care among firms with lucrative NHS deals and a tax haven status

Richard Branson’s group is one of 10 private health providers that have tax havens as part of their corporate structure

Edited by Chicog

32 minutes ago, Chicog said:

I think he's a ar$e. Listening to him and Connery banging on about what the British should do when they're a pair of tax dodging slubberdegullions makes me sick.

As for his ethics...

You didn't provide a link but googling the headline leads to this Guardian article, including the following quote:

A spokesman for Virgin Care said: “As the report points out, we have not yet reached a state of profitability. The shareholders are still investing in the growth of the business. We are incorporated and resident in the UK for tax purposes and subject to UK tax law, and will meet those obligations as and when we reach profitability.”

If the statement made is true, then they are following UK tax regulations - blame the government for those.

As for him as a person, I unfortunately ended up at the Daily Mail (yes, I know - I will shower soon) and read this exchange:

The Bransons moved their base to Necker in 2007, so does he pay tax at all in this country now? 

‘We pay tens of millions a year in Britain.’

That’s Virgin, but what about his own tax bill? 

‘Personally, any money I earn goes to charity, so I wouldn’t have to pay tax wherever I live.

Some of you guys just love tearing people apart.  From behind your keyboards of course.  I raced both Velodrome and Mountain Bikes and had more serious crashes the I ever had on a motorcycle or car.  Having said that this guy has done some amazing things.  Encircling the planet in a hot air balloon, preparing for the first commercial Spaces flights etc. etc.  He has a history also of helping aspiring entrepreneurs and needy children.  Just google it.  Gotta say one thing you guys are consistent.  Sad really... http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/2007/12/best-of/richard-branson-will-steger-text/2

Wow, so many jealous posters in this thread.

So the man is a successful self made billionaire, a job creator and an innovator who successfully challenged the establishment by taking on BA and the Financial Services sector, in the process he became very rich - a tad envious are we!!!

Edited by chiang mai

All you critics of his would not be fit to carry his bags. He does more for charity and humanitarian causes than you blokes could ever dream of. Crawl back into your holes you sorry ba£tards. Truth be known if you ever met the guy you would be licking his ar£e

54 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

975Branson%20Crash.JPEG

Doc46 and stgrock you called him a pussy and a jessie but look......the man really got hurt!

Jealous of his billions uh? ;)

Who said he never got hurt ? I knew he got hurt and I couldn't give a flying about his money.

He got a black eye and a bit of gravel rash, big deal. Happens every single say around the world.

This was my point.

21 hours ago, SgtRock said:

My life was literally flashing before my eyes," he wrote. "I really thought I was going to die. I went flying head-first towards the concrete road, but fortunately my shoulder and cheek took the brunt of the impact, and I was wearing a helmet that saved my life."

Try engaging with context before engaging your keyboard.

18 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

You mean  not flaunt it by your house. Gate's house is well known as one of the largest private residences in the world, for 3 people in believe. 

I don't think Branson does things like round the world balloon flights or even race off road bicycles to show off, he does them because he can. 

TH 

bill-gates-house-price.jpg

On 8/27/2016 at 5:23 PM, ClutchClark said:

All I know is that guy looks like he could have been seated at the head of King Arthurs round table.

he's probably got The table in his mansion :thumbsup:

but he's the sort of fella that would donate it to charity 

The article calls him a 'sixty-six year old'.

When I was in my early twenties, living and working in Soho, he opened his first Virgin Records shop - that must have been in the 1960s or very early 70s. Say 50 years ago. So he opened his own business at age 16?? I worked for Taylor Woodrow (was Britain's biggest construction company) and Frank Taylor was not allowed by law to open a company at age 16. Laws may have changed, but I cannot see that a sixteen year old would be able to do business in the London of those days.