Video: Motorcyclist jumps on car after hit and run accident in Bangkok

rooster59

Video: Motorcyclist jumps on car after hit and run accident in Bangkok

A motorcyclist jumped on the bonnet of a car that knocked him and his pillion passenger to the tarmac.

The action was caught on CCTV and posted on Facebook in an effort to catch the hit and run driver of the car,

The accident happened at 3.40am in the Sai Mai area. The "big bike" was knocked over injuring the female pillion rider. The bike rider then jumps on the car - thought to be a Nissan Almera - and is carried off in the direction of Talat Thai.

He stays on the car for some distance out of CCTV coverage with the car driver revving and braking to try and dislodge him. Then the driver stops and makes as if to get out. The motorcyclist jumps down but the car driver speeds off into the night.

The bike rider needed nine stitches in a hand wound and the pillion woman who posted the story suffered a face injury. 

Both have been off work since the incident last Saturday. They reported the accident to Sai Mai police but no one has been arrested yet.

The woman said on the "Sao Wan Praman Nan" Facebook page that she thought the license number was 4255 but police said the CCTV was indistinct.

No trace of the driver of the car has come to light in the week since and the victims want justice.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-27

she thought the license number was 4255 but police said the CCTV was indistinct.

Yes yes, not only can you not see what happens to begin with, what are you even trying to see with a 144p resolution? Games 30 years back had a better pixel quality Oo

No trace of the driver of the car has come to light in the week since and the victims want justice.

Good luck naka.

16 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

What type of culture teaches their citizens that you never have to take responsibility for your actions? Hit and run is the norm here, and nothing is ever done about it. It's like there's is no law against it. 

The same one that teaches people to occasionally beat to death drivers who have accidents where people are severely injured.  Seems like both phenomena are 2 edges of a sword that are well accepted in a culture where the police can't be relied on to do their jobs.  

I'd probably try to drive away myself if someone I'd just hit jumped up on my car in what seems like an effort to beat the crap out of me.  I'm accustomed to people walking up calmly and pulling out ID and insurance cards...

often fantasized about doing that myself, at least once a week!! Now that i have a decent pair of riding boots i reckon i can make a decent dent jumping on a bonnet or roof. :lol:

I bet he got an earfull from the gf for, one, leaving her when injured and, two, for being so foolhardy to jump on the car and maybe getting killed.

Edited by taichiplanet

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

The same one that teaches people to occasionally beat to death drivers who have accidents where people are severely injured.  Seems like both phenomena are 2 edges of a sword that are well accepted in a culture where the police can't be relied on to do their jobs.  

I'd probably try to drive away myself if someone I'd just hit jumped up on my car in what seems like an effort to beat the crap out of me.  I'm accustomed to people walking up calmly and pulling out ID and insurance cards...

Can you show me those instances where people are "occasionally" beat to death by drivers involved in accidents in Thailand. I can't find them.

So, you apparently don't think hit and run is a problem here. Interesting. 

Edited by Inn Between

2 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

Can you show me those instances where people are "occasionally" beat to death by drivers involved in accidents in Thailand. I can't find them.

If you haven't found any, you're not looking very hard.  Look harder.  

I didn't say it's not a problem.  But it's a symptom of a much deeper malaise.  Solve the deeper problem and hit and run issue will go away.

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

If you haven't found any, you're not looking very hard.  Look harder.  

I didn't say it's not a problem.  But it's a symptom of a much deeper malaise.  Solve the deeper problem and hit and run issue will go away.

I didn't make the claim -- you did. But I still looked to verify something i wasn't aware of. I couldn't find it and will not do your work for prove your point. Do you really think life works that way? Logically, I can only assume that you're just talking out your... until you show me evidence. 

Edited by Inn Between

38 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

It happens, three years ago in Bangkok thai man gets out of a car and stabs to death man because he was cut off and more

<<<< Link to PhuketWan removed >>>>

and this one last year 

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-road-rage-shooter-re-enacts-killing-49456.php 

Edited by metisdead
26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan

2 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Fascinating. 

Nobody cared about the girl for about 10 seconds. They were all just interested in the guy on the bonnet.

And neither the guy on the bonnet or any of the construction crews thought to get a license number?

Not so fascinating. Watch any of the hundreds of accident compilations on YouTube from Thailand, and one will be staggered by how often people simply drive off/past while someone else is dying on the road.

18 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

It happens, three years ago in Bangkok thai man gets out of a car and stabs to death man because he was cut off and more

<<<< Link to PhuketWan removed >>>>

and this one last year 

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-road-rage-shooter-re-enacts-killing-49456.php 

But those are instances of road rage -- not the after-effect of an accident. Road rage deaths happen everywhere. We're talking about stopping after being involved in an accident and doing the responsible thing -- very different from impulses assertion that fleeing an accident is sensible for fear of being killed in that situation. That's not a  fair comparison to road rage at all. Road rage is an emotional explosion and not at all the same as having an accident. 

2 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

But those are instances of road rage -- not the after-effect of an accident. Road rage deaths happen everywhere. We're talking about stopping after being involved in an accident and doing the responsible thing -- very different from impulses assertion that fleeing an accident is sensible for fear of being killed in that situation. There no fair comparison to road rage -- that's an emotional explosion and not at all the same as having an accident.

That's why posting examples here on TVF is a fools errand.  Even when you do, it's not the exact same situation under the exact same conditions.  It never will be.  But it's close enough for me.

Tell us, what, exactly would you do if you were in an accident and the guy you just hit jumped up on your car and started trying to get at you?  What is the responsible thing?  Not your responsibility to the lunatic on your bonnet, but responsible to your family that wants you home alive.  Because that's the responsibility I care about.  

17 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

***WARNING: GRAPHIC FOOTAGE***

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=286_1427400882

I didn't say it never happens. In this weird world, anything can happen once or twice, but I maintain my stance that to say it occasionally happens is wrong. Certainly by anybody's definition, occasional means it's not common but also not terribly uncommon. 

Edited by Inn Between

1 hour ago, Inn Between said:

What type of culture teaches their citizens that you never have to take responsibility for your actions? Hit and run is the norm here, and nothing is ever done about it. It's like there's is no law against it. 

what a shame in terms of morality and humanity if nothing else.

23 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Fascinating. 

Nobody cared about the girl for about 10 seconds. They were all just interested in the guy on the bonnet.

And neither the guy on the bonnet or any of the construction crews thought to get a license number?

happens many times as the focus is on the trauma at that instance.

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's why posting examples here on TVF is a fools errand.  Even when you do, it's not the exact same situation under the exact same conditions.  It never will be.  But it's close enough for me.

Tell us, what, exactly would you do if you were in an accident and the guy you just hit jumped up on your car and started trying to get at you?  What is the responsible thing?  Not your responsibility to the lunatic on your bonnet, but responsible to your family that wants you home alive.  Because that's the responsibility I care about.  

There's nothing I can or care to do about your choice to think that road rage and accidents are the same. I think many would disagree, though.

The guy jumped on his car ONLY because the driver was fleeing the scene. Belittle the guy by calling him a lunatic if it makes you feel better, but I feel sympathy for him and can understand his impulse to jump on the car, probably pissed off at being another one of the many hit and run victims. So, I can't answer your question because I'd do the responsible thing and stop to face accountability for my actions. 

Edited by Inn Between

1 minute ago, Inn Between said:

I didn't say it never happens. In this weird world, anything can happen once or twice, but I maintain my stance that to it occasionally happens is wrong. Certainly by anybody's definition, occasional means it's not common but also not terribly uncommon. 

Praytell, how many more examples do I need to post before you accept that Thai people occasionally beat to death drivers who have accidents where people are severely injured? 2? 3? 4? Is there a specific frequency that you also require for multiple events to be accurately termed occasionally?

4 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

There's nothing I can or care to do about your choice to think that road rage and accidents are the same. I think many would disagree, though.

The guy jumped on his car ONLY because the driver was fleeing the scene. Belittle the guy by calling him a lunatic if it makes you feel better, but I feel sympathy for him and can understand his impulse to jump on the car, probably pissed off at being another one of the many hit and run victims. So, I can't answer your question because I'd do the responsible thing and stop to face accountability for my actions. 

I can't get the darned bold to work but It looks like he might have jumped on the hood prior to any indocation of evasive action on the part of the car driver. The car was in motion but may have been trying to move off any victims?

2 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

Praytell, how many more examples do I need to post before you accept that Thai people occasionally beat to death drivers who have accidents where people are severely injured? 2? 3? 4? Is there a specific frequency that you also require for multiple events to be accurately termed occasionally?

More than one would be a good start. And you also admit yourself that there were extreme circumstances where "people are severely injured". I'm talking about the regularity of drivers fleeing the scene here. 

I've made my point and will do nothing further to convince anyone away from what they want to think. 

2 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

Why have cameras that can't see a car number ,can't see a face ,bit of a waste of money ,

Good question.

There is a very wide range of spec and cost when it comes to CCTV.

This particularly comes to the fore when :-

1. Bright lights are in the picture.

2. The camera is not close to the object.

3. The activity takes place at night.

4. Face recognition is required.

The difference between a detection camera and an identification camera can be more than ten-fold.

Also I will speculate there is no control centre with operators who can zoom in and move cameras like in the UK. Rather the automatically saved video data is reviewed after the event.

TIT

40 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

He jumped on the car leaving his injured passenger to bleed on the road.  That's as much as I need to know about his priorities.

Hard as it is to take a step back in the middle of a spirited discussion, I mean this with no sarcasm and no ill thoughts.  The rules about leaving the scene in Thailand are there for a reason.  Anyone in an accident should consider the situation and make their own decision.  Unlike back home, if you decide it's safer to leave and report to the cop shop, there will be no legal consequences.  If you decide to stay and deal with an angry situation, your family may miss you.  Many of the rules you learned back home may not serve you very well here.

I always look for a lesson learned when I read about these things on TVF.  That's what I've taken away from reading hundreds of threads about incidents like this.  Someone else -even someone smarter than me- may take something else away.

Edited by impulse

I have watched the video a dozen times and it appears the rider jumped on the car prior to the driver attempting to flee...and he jumped on the driver side of bonnet so the driver would have been quite aware of the irate rider and very well only fled the scene in fear. 

Probably contacting his attorney at this very moment.

Meanwhile the girl with the high skirt and nice legs has started dating the construction worker who did stop to offer her some assistance. (This last paragraph is an attempt at humor).

Edited by ClutchClark

There are many videos around of drivers receiving a savage beating after an accident. Though I'm not sure how many are beaten to death, this is a risk that one would do well to be aware of.

1 hour ago, Inn Between said:

More than one would be a good start. And you also admit yourself that there were extreme circumstances where "people are severely injured". I'm talking about the regularity of drivers fleeing the scene here. 

I've made my point and will do nothing further to convince anyone away from what they want to think. 

More than one: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-news-instant-justice-mob-kills-bangkok-road-rage-bus-driver-46047.php

Actually, I didn't admit anything; I was using impulse's initial wording that, for some unknown reason, you've chosen to argue.

Now that you've been given "more than one" instance of mobs beating someone to death who's caused traffic accidents (I could give you more, including instances of cops shielding drivers from mob beatings) you'll still find some way to convince yourself that it doesn't occasionally happen. 

And, as for making your point: your point was disbelieving impulse when he said mobs occasionally beat drivers to death - I'm not exactly sure how you've made that point...

As impulse said, it appears to be culturally acceptable here to engage in mob killings (due to accidents, desecrating a shrine, being disabled and mouthing off at youths, etc.), running off at accidents (whether as a hit and run, or the driver simply doing a runner), or to drive blithely past someone injured on the road. Oh, of course the last two happen in any civilised country, but there seems to a special prevalence for them here...

Edited by jamesbrock
speeling

48 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

There should be an AUTOMATIC custodial sentence for hit and run drivers, regardless of injury etc. Wouldn't take long for the message to get through to most drivers.

The whole penalty system needs to be overhauled and brought into the 21st century!

I see where you are coming from Nick but in this culture, until they do something about the Police, there is always every good chance that if you do stop after an accident, Thai mob mentality could leap to the fore resulting in you getting a vigilante beating or even being killed.

Not directly Thai related, but worked in Kelantan, Malaysia for a time in the 90's near to the Thai border. My company (UK construction) was advised by the local Road Transport Department that, due to the number of violent actions taken against drivers involved in accidents with the local population, their advice was that our drivers should make all efforts to remove themselves from the accident location and head straight for the nearest police station.

They further advised that we should not stop if coming across an accident scene, especially if no-one else was initially on the scene, as incidents of drivers being assaulted and even killed, despite no involvement in the accident, were not unknown.