Video: Motorcyclist jumps on car after hit and run accident in Bangkok

rooster59

I remember about 25 years ago in Germany i received a letter from the police telling me to bring my BMW to the nearest police station for inspection immediately. I was somewhat bemused,the car was new and one doesn't do an MOT at the police station. I went,a policeman looked at the front left wing and said OK i can go. I asked what it was all about, a hit and run, not even serious, had occurred a few days before,the perpetrator's car had left a few flakes of paint at the scene of the accident, these were sent to the lab and they could tell the colour,the make and the year of production so all cars in that county of that description were called in to be checked. Couldn't happen here.

43 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Not directly Thai related, but worked in Kelantan, Malaysia for a time in the 90's near to the Thai border. My company (UK construction) was advised by the local Road Transport Department that, due to the number of violent actions taken against drivers involved in accidents with the local population, their advice was that our drivers should make all efforts to remove themselves from the accident location and head straight for the nearest police station.

They further advised that we should not stop if coming across an accident scene, especially if no-one else was initially on the scene, as incidents of drivers being assaulted and even killed, despite no involvement in the accident, were not unknown.  

There are places we have people working and their instructions are to get to the airport and fly out of the country in the case of an accident.  Even if they aren't the one driving.  For that reason, they are required to have their passport and a pre-paid first class ticket with them at all times.

The cost of settling up even a minor accident can go into the $$ millions if the foreigner is in custody.   We once paid out over a $$ million for a dead camel (and about 15 lost generations of its offspring) before they'd let our guy out of jail.

Edited by impulse

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

There are places we have people working and their instructions are to get to the airport and fly out of the country in the case of an accident.  Even if they aren't the one driving.  For that reason, they are required to have their passport and a pre-paid first class ticket with them at all times.

The cost of settling up even a minor accident can go into the $$ millions if the foreigner is in custody.   We once paid out over a $$ million for a dead camel (and about 15 lost generations of its offspring) before they'd let our guy out of jail.

I was driving the missus,her sister and mother here one day and witnessed a motorbike lying on its side on top of the driver who wasn't moving, i went to stop to help but all the women immediately screamed at me to carry on driving. I thought this rather callous and said so but carried on driving,they said that the driver could blame me just to get money,especially as a farang,and even if i could prove my innocence it would cost me,court fees,lawyer etc. So you live and learn.

Disgusting behaviour! Accidents happen. Stop and help the injured. Insurance and money will sort out the rest. 

Running is something only cowards do! 

Good on the motorcyclist for tyring. 

10 minutes ago, djayz said:

Disgusting behaviour! Accidents happen. Stop and help the injured. Insurance and money will sort out the rest. 

Running is something only cowards do! 

Good on the motorcyclist for tyring. 

You mean good on him for leaving his injured passenger on the road bleeding while he sorted things out with the other driver?

1 minute ago, impulse said:

You mean good on him for leaving his injured passenger on the road bleeding while he sorted things out with the other driver?

No I mean good on him for trying to catch the motorist. He MIGHT have quickly checked to see if she was seriously injured or not and came to the conclusion that, although injured, she wasn't seriously harmed. Then reacted to the coward accelerating away from the scene of an accident. 10 out of 10 I say. 

2 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

.......it appears to be culturally acceptable here to engage in mob killings (due to accidents, desecrating a shrine, being disabled and mouthing off at youths, etc.), running off at accidents (whether as a hit and run, or the driver simply doing a runner), or to drive blithely past someone injured on the road. Oh, of course the last two happen in any civilised country, but there seems to a special prevalence for them here...

Utter nonsense...

5 hours ago, Inn Between said:

What type of culture teaches their citizens that you never have to take responsibility for your actions? Hit and run is the norm here, and nothing is ever done about it. It's like there's is no law against it. 

Exactly, if you watch the video everyone rushes to the aid of the victim or is in total bewildement on how this driver can just drive off with a man on his bonnet.

Aha! I know why people get away with this now.

- The people who saw the accident and helped are the little people, lower class.

- The police can't see how to make any money off investigating this matter.

- Give rights to motorbikers. No way, let the little people take on the big.

- Culture? Oh Thai Culture. If have big money you good if no have you poo.

6 hours ago, Inn Between said:

What type of culture teaches their citizens that you never have to take responsibility for your actions? Hit and run is the norm here, and nothing is ever done about it. It's like there's is no law against it. 

A girl left a local noodle shoo and when reversing out turned too quick and hit the nearside of our car just behind the rear door yesterday. She knew very well whose car it was, where we were sitting but simply went forward, reversed again and drove off. No one noticed at the time and it never seemed to enter her head to take responsibility and act honestly. 

That was for a minor accident where the consequences weren't huge. As things get more serious they'll do anything to avoid responsibility, accountability and loosing face. They just don't care two fckus.

7 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Exactly, if you watch the video everyone rushes to the aid of the victim or is in total bewildement on how this driver can just drive off with a man on his bonnet.

Aha! I know why people get away with this now.

- The people who saw the accident and helped are the little people, lower class.

- The police can't see how to make any money off investigating this matter.

- Give rights to motorbikers. No way, let the little people take on the big.

- Culture? Oh Thai Culture. If have big money you good if no have you poo.

Rightly or wrongly I've always been told that if a car/lorry/truck/van/bus driver hits a motor bike/scooter, then the police will always hold the four or more wheelers responsible. 

To be fair some on two wheels here have even less idea about how to drive and road safety than those in 4 or more.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

The same one that teaches people to occasionally beat to death drivers who have accidents where people are severely injured.  Seems like both phenomena are 2 edges of a sword that are well accepted in a culture where the police can't be relied on to do their jobs.  

I'd probably try to drive away myself if someone I'd just hit jumped up on my car in what seems like an effort to beat the crap out of me.  I'm accustomed to people walking up calmly and pulling out ID and insurance cards...

YES I have been instructed to never stop after an accident because it can be deadly drive away then report to police seems the safest method but even that is fraught with danger as I saw a video of a guys gunned down in the Police station by a cop because he had an accident and the cops daughter was on the back of the bike and died so the cop shot him mutiple times in the waiting area

Rightly or wrongly I've always been told that if a car/lorry/truck/van/bus driver hits a motor bike/scooter, then the police will always hold the four or more wheelers responsible. 

To be fair some on two wheels here have even less idea about how to drive and road safety than those in 4 or more.

First paragraph pro-motorcycle.

Second paragraph anti-motorcycle.

Overall - Rightly or wrongly, you could be, to be fair.

7 hours ago, Inn Between said:

More than one would be a good start. And you also admit yourself that there were extreme circumstances where "people are severely injured". I'm talking about the regularity of drivers fleeing the scene here. 

I've made my point and will do nothing further to convince anyone away from what they want to think. 

Are you  new here? I hate to guess the amount of stories just on TV that has reported the Thai driver fleeing from the accident. Be it that they may have been drinking or being Thai they know what the mob mentality is, they decided to get away. So many times reported on here. If you have been here a bit you may even remember the google maps car driver being attacked in a village because of belief that he was filming people. This is the Thai mentality. Attack and ask questions later. The moment they smell blood it is pack mentality. That is what happens in some incidents in the aftermath of a car accident.

11 hours ago, Inn Between said:

More than one would be a good start. And you also admit yourself that there were extreme circumstances where "people are severely injured". I'm talking about the regularity of drivers fleeing the scene here. 

I've made my point and will do nothing further to convince anyone away from what they want to think. 

One was more than enough for me, I can tell you. They even pulled little kids out of the back of the car. Absolutely sickening.

9 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I was driving the missus,her sister and mother here one day and witnessed a motorbike lying on its side on top of the driver who wasn't moving, i went to stop to help but all the women immediately screamed at me to carry on driving. I thought this rather callous and said so but carried on driving,they said that the driver could blame me just to get money,especially as a farang,and even if i could prove my innocence it would cost me,court fees,lawyer etc. So you live and learn.

I had to laugh at this since it sounds exactly like my wife---she figures she was first in line winning the farang lottery with this old coot. I am not really convinced she doesn't have the same opportunistic impulse driving her as the Thais she accuses of wanting to tske me to the cleaners  ;-)

Looking at all those young male construction workers at this accident scene and the absence of a mix of society, I wonder how quickly the mob mentality could have been triggered had the driver stopped? As someone aptly described above--blood in the water.

I wonder if it might partly depend on whether those night time laborers were Thai or immigrant?

Edited by ClutchClark

10 hours ago, HappyDazed said:

Utter nonsense...

It seems you've taken your time to think about the issues at hand, the complex nature of a culture that, for generations, has not had an effective police force, that has been wracked by successive coups and seen the authorities themselves use mob violence against its own citizenry, and you've approached this issue humbly with empathy and presented a thoughtful and considered argument on a complex and varying problem. Well done. :thumbsup: