Ever Get in a Food Fight?

Inspire

Ever Get in a Food Fight?

Orlando Barton

food2.jpg

When it comes to food cities, I have my own personal favorites. I’m sure everyone does right? Especially if you are a traveler, the places connected to your best culinary memories changes and develops as years go by and locations stack up.

My personal top three food cities, in this order, are as follows:
Bangkok … New Orleans … Vancouver

I don’t feel the need to defend any of them. When I say this to people and they want to argue, I ask if they’ve been to all three of those cities. It is difficult to argue from a position from ignorance.

But, some people don’t mind that. I have a friend who is a chef in New Orleans. When I gave him my list he went ballistic. “Bangkok? What do they eat there … crickets?” “Sometimes” I replied. “But the food in Thailand is just better”. He came unglued.

Again, I stood by my statement and proceeded to prove it. I let fly with a scathing indictment of the food industry in my country-of-origin. “Grocery stores in my home country are more about marketing than they are about food. Why else would they put an aisle of toys next to the breakfast cereals?” I asked him.

“When I enter a “super market” in my country I am assaulted from the moment I arrive with advertising and distraction. In the “produce” department fruit and vegetables sprayed with wax and coloring are stacked in bins surrounded by kiosks touting salad dressings and boxes of non-organic crunchy crap to sprinkle on my salad. More space is given to the huge government mandated signs stating where the product comes from than the actual fruit and/or vegetable.

There’s nobody employed by the store to assist me. If I don’t know when a papaya is ripe that pimple-faced kid over at the deli counter isn’t going to run over and sort me out. You’re on your own. Buy this unnaturally green thing, pour this goop over it and sprinkle this crunchy crap on top … it’s gluten-free!

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/ever-get-food-fight/

If you want to see or get involved in a food fight, try to find an "all you can eat" buffet full of Chinese people.:offtopic2:

Edited by possum1931
Wanted to add an emotican as I did not read the full OP,

3 hours ago, Inspire said:

My personal top three food cities, in this order, are as follows:
Bangkok … New Orleans … Vancouver

I don’t feel the need to defend any of them. When I say this to people and they want to argue, I ask if they’ve been to all three of those cities. It is difficult to argue from a position from ignorance.

I have been to all three cities, and I am from Vancouver.

What the hell is so special about Vancouver??

I've traveled a lot but not everywhere so it's hard to say what's the best and also you'd have to go deep into eating into any city to really have an informed opinion.

Of those three and I've eaten around all three, Vancouver, New Orleans, and Bangkok, overall I'd say Bangkok is the best.

But not for New Orleans style food ... 

Recently the Washington Post picked Houston Texas as one of  the current top food cities in the USA.

Surprised a lot of people.

The most iconic Houston food?

Not BBQ. Vietnamese-Cajun fusion!

Go figure! 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/11/10/the-search-for-americas-best-food-cities-houston/

As far as food fights, mentioned in the OP, what's the point?
For example for Chinese food, I'm sure there are people saying a number of cities are the best such as Taiwan, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Chengdu, Shanghai, Beijing, etc. So what? If you love Chinese food, you'd love to eat in ALL of those places.

I have noticed a trend of for hip international chefs to claim TOKYO is the best food city in the world. I wouldn't know.

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I've traveled a lot but not everywhere so it's hard to say what's the best and also you'd have to go deep into eating into any city to really have an informed opinion.

Of those three and I've eaten around all three, Vancouver, New Orleans, and Bangkok, overall I'd say Bangkok is the best.

But not for New Orleans style food ... 

Recently the Washington Post picked Houston Texas as one of  the current top food cities in the USA.

Surprised a lot of people.

The most iconic Houston food?

Not BBQ. Vietnamese-Cajun fusion!

Go figure! 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/11/10/the-search-for-americas-best-food-cities-houston/

As far as food fights, mentioned in the OP, what's the point?
For example for Chinese food, I'm sure there are people saying a number of cities are the best such Taiwan, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Chengdu, Shanghai, Beijing, etc. So what? If you love Chinese food, you'd love to eat in ALL of those places.

I have noticed a trend of for hip international chefs to claim TOKYO is the best food city in the world. I wouldn't know.

I was in a Chinese food fight once.....And I won.....Only trouble was......

I was feisty an hour later......

Orlando, I see you observe the Pogo School of Journalism.

I have been to all three of your food cities; I have lived in two of them, and I don't put any of them into the top three food cities. In fact, I can name a better food city in SEA, the US and Canada. However, I am not here to justify my choice of food cities.   

Certainly, you cannot think you are presenting anything new other than your choices of food cities. Sure, in more modern cities' supermarkets you are going to find toys near the breakfast cereal, the milk and bread will be at the other end of the store, and sweets and sundries will be at the registers; that is standard marketing and you're right, it does take precedence over the real issue, the food.

However, try going into the countryside in most countries. Get away from the hustle of sterile business and back to customer satisfaction. I can find the freshest seafood available anywhere in the little fishing villages of Vietnam, and enjoy citrus fruits picked from the tree that morning in Florida.  Of course, neither are available in the supermarkets. I get the freshest produce--beans, corn, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, squash, watermelon, apples and pears near my farm in West Virginia, and in my little Andorran village market. Get anywhere away from the proceduralized work- minimum wage mentality and you may again enjoy customer service and good fresh foods of the best quality.  

49 minutes ago, ableguy said:

Done all three, oysters New Orleans yes the best, Bangkok if you want the best it will cooooosssstttt  you. Vancouver has some great places but you need a local to point them out.

Chesapeake Bay for oysters, the gulf is much too warm.