Wi-Fi Password Hackers

dddave

I live in a large apartment building in Bangkok.  There is an unused elevator lobby in front of my apartment (doesn't stop on my floor) and I began to notice an increasing number of other tenants hanging around the lobby, usually on their phones.  I didn't think much about it until I saw a You Tube Video on the large number of Wi-Fi password hacking apps now available...then "Ahh-Haa!"  My router is close to that outside wall and a signal check showed a strong signal in the lobby.  

My password was admittedly weak...the same one set by True at installation. I immediately changed my Wi-Fi password to the longest and most complex I could do..mixed numbers, letters; lower and upper case, symbols and no discernable words.  Very quickly, the lobby was empty of lingerers.

Yesterday and today, there were one or two back again...maybe just a coincidence but I will change my password again just to be sure.

Is there any way to protect Wi-Fi passwords from these hacking apps other than making the password as complex as possible?

I hate the idea of having to change it every week.

Don't forget that not only the WiFi password must be adequate but also the router password.

(even more important)

It's still standard practice by the ISPs to leave them with "admin"/"admin", "admin"/"password" and other silly stuff.

This is even more dangerous than a weak WiFi PW.

Additionally:

Most routers have a feature to allow access for dedicated devices (MAC addresses) only.

At my router it is called "Wireless MAC filtering".

Assume you have a laptop and a smartphone, just allow those two to connect.

So even a hacked/leaked WiFi password would not allow others to connect.

At the router you can also check whether there are spongers on your connection.

At my router I would look under "DHCP Server"/"Clients List" and "System Tools"/"Statistics".

EDIT: just seen that the article from above post mentions MAC Filtering.

But the "forbid MAC address" method would be difficult for mobile/changing spongers.

The "allow (my) MAC addresses" is easier to handle.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1. Don't use WEP, use WPA or WPA2.

2. Use a long and complex password.

3. (Most important) use a VPN and don't connect to Wifi's that you aren't absolutely sure are what they are supposed to be. It is incredibly easy to set up a fake hotspot called "Yourcondo_Wifi" and watch everyone who uses it.

I seriously doubt they are hacking your WiFi passphrase, I guess they could be using open WiFi networks. You could just ask them?

Are you seeing unusual, or unknown devices accessing your WLAN?

You could set up your WLAN to only allow known MAC addresses to gain access.

I would change the SSID, stop broadcasting it, use a strong WPA/WPA2 passphrase, only allow known MAC addresses, disable WLAN (and remote access as well) administrative access to the router, change the router password.