Are there any advantages in being married here?

4 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

In your case you seem to have a pretty good setup, and as long as you don't mind renting the rest of your life I see no reason for you to get married.

My only concern, and if I was you, is what happens to your Long Term Girlfriend if you should suddenly kick the bucket? But if you have made provisions for her already, and your savings and wealth after you are gone, then there isn't much to worry about. 

I have made a will with a Thai lawyer, cost 10000 baht. Sent the will to my brother in England who is the executor. If he dies then his daughter will take over as executor. Thing is, my girlfriend doesn`t know I have made a will, see no reasons to tell her or her family at this point. As for my pensions, no she is not entitled to any of it unless we are officially married, which means as I am her only financial support, the family really take care of me. I`m not too old as yet and in the future if I live to a ripe old age and we are still together, I will probably marry her so she receives my private pensions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

I have made a will with a Thai lawyer, cost 10000 baht. Sent the will to my brother in England who is the executor. If he dies then his daughter will take over as executor. Thing is, my girlfriend doesn`t know I have made a will, see no reasons to tell her or her family at this point. As for my pensions, no she is not entitled to any of it unless we are officially married, which means as I am her only financial support, the family really take care of me. I`m not too old as yet and in the future if I live to a ripe old age and we are still together, I will probably marry her so she receives my private pensions.

Well it seems to me that you are a man who go his head screwed on properly and are handling your present situation very well.

I think I understand why you haven't told your Girlfriend that you have made future arrangements for her. I see your point. But I wonder if somehow you could let her know you have made some, without giving her a dollar figure, and who to contact in the event of your death.  She may not even have the means now to give you a proper funeral, or send you back, so I think this might take a lot of worry out of her present life with you right now, and if you can.  

Speaking as a retiree the only reason I'd get married is so that my SO could get a proportion of my pension. This would  give me peace of mind in that everything I've got going here wouldn't fall apart on my death. I'm currently awaiting confirmation of the proportion ( if any), but I' m relatively hopeful as our age difference (8 years) isn't that great. The normal widow's pension in my scheme is around 50%. My main concern is how a marriage after reaching retirement age might affect it. The only other advantage I can see is the lower financial requirements for an extension, but as you can use the combination method for retirement it's no advantage really. My fall-back plan is to return to the UK and get some crappy minimum wage job, which together with the pension, would enable me to take my SO to the UK. This will have to happen eventually cos health concerns are gonna figure larger as I get older and I want that  NHS safety net.