Are there any advantages in being married here?

One of the main differences is that you can an extension(permission) to stay with easier financial conditions and no need to be over 50yr old.

Also such a marriage extension opens the possibility to get a workpermit (compared to "retirement" extension).

BUT: it does not ease the very restrictive selection of allowed jobs.

It does not allow to but land, it does not allow to operate a shop house (in own name) and so on.

Driving license: not a difference I am aware of.

Sometimes the wife with her housebook/marriage/TM30 documents is accepted as proof of address.

This thread is not well placed here.

I suggest to move it the visa or family? forum where there is more detail expertise.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

To answer your specific questions...No. 

Even getting an extension of stay in The Kingdom  based on marriage is more difficult than obtaining one based on retirement or having a business.

I am not over 50 and on a extension based on marriage with proof of 400k in the bank. It didn't take over 45 minutes at CW in Bangkok, from getting the letter from Kasikorn Bank to walking over to the Immigration Department, being walked over to some desk, smiled for the camera, wife smiled for the camera - extension stamped and out the door. Can't get much easier than this. 

Note: I always use the same agent for the past decade or or for as long as I can remember, so I don't have to take a queue number, wait in line and all that. That might have helped to speed up the process as well ;)

To the OP: There are no real advantages besides getting a very simple extension of stay for a year, doing 90 day reports (don't have to do it in person). The only disadvantage is the divorce, but lets hope it doesn't happen - the statistics are not on your side unfortunately. 

Edited by JerryinTH
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

To answer your specific questions...No. 

Even getting an extension of stay in The Kingdom  based on marriage is more difficult than obtaining one based on retirement or having a business.

Retirement yes but for getting extension based upon working it is certainly not any harder.

Have you ever seen the list of required documents for an extension based upon working? Have a look at this. extension based upon working .pdf  There is also the same under consideration period needed.

10 minutes ago, JerryinTH said:

Note: I always use the same agent for the past decade or or for as long as I can remember, so I don't have to take a queue number, wait in line and all that. That might have helped to speed up the process as well ;)

If you pay an agent then you would expect the procedure to be fast and painless. I dont pay an agent yet my recent retirement extension only took about 15 minutes of my time at Jomtien immigration. Hard to see what advantage paying an agent could possibly give me.

Some people getting marriage extensions seem to report difficulties relating to getting photos of their place of residence, and various other somewhat invasive requirements like interviews with neighbours etc. With my retirement extension there is none of this.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

If you pay an agent then you would expect the procedure to be fast and painless. I dont pay an agent yet my recent retirement extension only took about 15 minutes of my time at Jomtien immigration. Hard to see what advantage paying an agent could possibly give me.

Some people getting marriage extensions seem to report difficulties relating to getting photos of their place of residence, and various other somewhat invasive requirements like interviews with neighbours etc. With my retirement extension there is none of this.

The advantage is that I don't have to produce photos of my place, no interviews with the neighbors and such things. I can live with the 45min procedure once a year for a really small fee. 

I haven't done a 90 day report in person either, so besides getting a multi re-entry permit which is also handled by the agent, my altercation with thai immigration is about once a year for the stamp. 

But I can see your point quite clearly. There really is no right or wrong answer. Depends on what each individual is comfortable with and feels its a burden or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Retirement yes but for getting extension based upon working it is certainly not any harder.

Have you ever seen the list of required documents for an extension based upon working? Have a look at this. extension based upon working .pdf  There is also the same under consideration period needed.

That's quite a list...so they're probably about the same. Do they also require photos of one's business partners and shareholders sitting on ones  bed? 

10 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

That's quite a list...so they're probably about the same.

That list is  longer than the one based upon marriage, It also requires a work permit which also has it's list of requirements.

My first response was "For whom is that true?" 

"No man is an island" -- there are normally two people in a marriage. It's worth looking at the plus/minus aspects of marriage for each party and then thinking about how the dynamics might play out 

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Agents are status symbols. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

My story of common sense that the OP and others like him should heed.

I have been with my Thai girlfriend for a long time now. We live in her brother`s house located on her family`s big land in Chiang Mai. I pay good rent money to live in that house, probably well above the odds a Thai would pay and I like it that way because it means I am of value to them and they would not evict me lightly, more power to me, although still not costing me a fortune, it`s a lovely 3 bedroom house, and because it belongs to the girlfriend`s family we can more or less do what we like, no landlord lying down rules and restrictions with tenancy contracts, so I have no complaints. In fact her mother spends more time with us in our house than in her own house, but she`s a lovely lady and I get on with the family just fine.

My girlfriend and her family have tried to nag me into us actually getting married, buying her brother`s house and some land and lum yai land so as we can all live happily ever after. But I point blank refuse, because I have to ask; what`s in it for me?

I am a retiree and have no need to be married to a Thai spouse to stay in Thailand. I don`t care how many other posters have said; buying land and property is a doddle here, because I simply do not believe it. Once married and start throwing my money into what is a total non investment for me, then it becomes a case where everyone else benefits and I`m the only one who stands to lose big time from the deal if the relationship turns sour, wife dies or for some reasons my girlfriend`s family and I fall out. I told them I would happily get married and buy the land and house if I can obtain a rock solid agreement that I own equal shares of everything with my wife and no one could ever throw me off. But I know this cannot be archived for a Farlang in Thailand.

As in the majority of cases regarding Farlangs who have Thai wives or girlfriends, it`s usually the Farlangs that have income or money and make the investments on behalf of their Thai partners. In my case the girlfriend relies on me for financial support and without that she would probably have to go and work on a noodle stall or find some other type of crap job to support herself. I guess most Farlangs are in the same situation. But once the Farlang starts investing money into something on trust, believing he`ll never be let down or s**t on by his Thai family, is when he leaves himself vulnerable as only he stands to lose.

The prats that fall head over heels in love and to prove their love think that by showering their princesses with homes, vehicles and becoming the family banker will seal the deal for ever after really cracks me up. Throughout my whole life my ideals has been, always hold the trump card, be independent and never rely on the kindness and charity of others. So far this has paid off for me. Sometimes the Thais say to me; you vely rich, have a lot of money. And I always reply,  yes I do and I intend keeping it.

Some of us are married to Thai women who actually are living the same lifestyle as we are in our home countries, so we don't have the same issues you do. My wife happens to be highly educated, at the moment working as a government medical employee, maybe not rich, but she does extremely well for herself, glad she even looked my way when she was here in the states....LOL Now we have a beautiful daughter, and I look forward to spending time with them over the next 4 years, after that we'll probably move back to the states.

• Like 2

A lot depends on where you live and your nearest immigration office .  Immigration police are a law unto themselves and their decision is final , even if not strictly to the letter of immigration law .  Some officers are very easy and accommodating , others put you through it .  I would always reccommend a retirement visa if you are over 50yrs and can afford it .  The retirement visa requires fare less documentation , no proof of marriage , pictures of your home and more .  You can always have a Thai style wedding , no Amphur .  In the even things don't work out you are free to go without any divorce and you can still live in Thailand .

2 hours ago, ocddave said:

Some of us are married to Thai women who actually are living the same lifestyle as we are in our home countries, so we don't have the same issues you do. My wife happens to be highly educated, at the moment working as a government medical employee, maybe not rich, but she does extremely well for herself, glad she even looked my way when she was here in the states....LOL Now we have a beautiful daughter, and I look forward to spending time with them over the next 4 years, after that we'll probably move back to the states.

dd Dave ... I prefer your option. During the time my wife and I lived in the UK she gained citizenship. I have never wanted her to work ... very happy playing golf, travelling and doing what other retired couples do. Pleased that when I am no longer above ground that she will have our house to live in and a pension of 60+% of what I get now for the rest of her life. And she will have the Everest to bump into whatever she wants to and whenever she wants to :) ... some on here will appreciate the significance  of that comment ....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

dd Dave ... I prefer your option. During the time my wife and I lived in the UK she gained citizenship. I have never wanted her to work ... very happy playing golf, travelling and doing what other retired couples do. Pleased that when I am no longer above ground that she will have our house to live in and a pension of 60+% of what I get now for the rest of her life. And she will have the Everest to bump into whatever she wants to and whenever she wants to :) ... some on here will appreciate the significance  of that comment ....

Yes, I actually remind the wife that I am worth more dead than alive, so she won't be worrying about her and my daughter's future, if I depart this earth first ;-) We will continue to have homes in Thailand and the US, as I am keeping my life/property in the US, and my job will stay secured in the US until I get back. Though lets hope I never make her mad! LOL

Edited by ocddave

I do not see any advantage. Number 1, getting married here would see an automatic  25% reduction in my Australian age pension. Number 2, if it ever came to a split, I'd be tangled up in lawyers over division of assets. Have had that twice in Australia, don't need it a third time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cyberfarang said:
I have been with my Thai girlfriend for a long time now. We live in her brother`s house located on her family`s big land in Chiang Mai. I pay good rent money to live in that house, probably well above the odds a Thai would pay and I like it that way because it means I am of value to them and they would not evict me lightly, more power to me, although still not costing me a fortune, it`s a lovely 3 bedroom house, and because it belongs to the girlfriend`s family we can more or less do what we like, no landlord lying down rules and restrictions with tenancy contracts, so I have no complaints. In fact her mother spends more time with us in our house than in her own house, but she`s a lovely lady and I get on with the family just fine.
My girlfriend and her family have tried to nag me into us actually getting married, buying her brother`s house and some land and lum yai land so as we can all live happily ever after. But I point blank refuse, because I have to ask; what`s in it for me?
I am a retiree and have no need to be married to a Thai spouse to stay in Thailand. I don`t care how many other posters have said; buying land and property is a doddle here, because I simply do not believe it. Once married and start throwing my money into what is a total non investment for me, then it becomes a case where everyone else benefits and I`m the only one who stands to lose big time from the deal if the relationship turns sour, wife dies or for some reasons my girlfriend`s family and I fall out. I told them I would happily get married and buy the land and house if I can obtain a rock solid agreement that I own equal shares of everything with my wife and no one could ever throw me off. But I know this cannot be archived for a Farlang in Thailand.
As in the majority of cases regarding Farlangs who have Thai wives or girlfriends, it`s usually the Farlangs that have income or money and make the investments on behalf of their Thai partners. In my case the girlfriend relies on me for financial support and without that she would probably have to go and work on a noodle stall or find some other type of crap job to support herself. I guess most Farlangs are in the same situation. But once the Farlang starts investing money into something on trust, believing he`ll never be let down or s**t on by his Thai family, is when he leaves himself vulnerable as only he stands to lose.
The prats that fall head over heels in love and to prove their love think that by showering their princesses with homes, vehicles and becoming the family banker will seal the deal for ever after really cracks me up. Throughout my whole life my ideals has been, always hold the trump card, be independent and never rely on the kindness and charity of others. So far this has paid off for me. Sometimes the Thais say to me; you vely rich, have a lot of money. And I always reply,  yes I do and I intend keeping it.

In a similar position (albeit with a Filipina for 6.5 years) & have been thinking about what would happen to her if anything were to happen to me (answer: she'd get nothing, all my UK assets would be split per my will from 12 years ago, no idea what would happen to the assets I have in Singapore).

Curious to learn if you've made any provisions for your GF should anything happen to you or will all your assets go elsewhere/intestate?

2 hours ago, JB300 said:

In a similar position (albeit with a Filipina for 6.5 years) & have been thinking about what would happen to her if anything were to happen to me (answer: she'd get nothing, all my UK assets would be split per my will from 12 years ago, no idea what would happen to the assets I have in Singapore).

Curious to learn if you've made any provisions for your GF should anything happen to you or will all your assets go elsewhere/intestate?

If wanting to make provision for a partner, can make a will in Thailand leaving contents of Thai bank account to her, and set up a seperate account with whatever sum one thinks is appropriate in the event of your sudden death. Unless specified in your UK will it's untouchable from the UK as they won't know about it.

If you have a seperate bank account for visa extension money, that would suffice.

• Like 1

On 29/8/2559 at 4:00 PM, cyberfarang said:

In your case you seem to have a pretty good setup, and as long as you don't mind renting the rest of your life I see no reason for you to get married.

My only concern, and if I was you, is what happens to your Long Term Girlfriend if you should suddenly kick the bucket? But if you have made provisions for her already, and your savings and wealth after you are gone, then there isn't much to worry about.