To Whom Does The House Belong...

A question that - God forbid - will not be an issue for me for a long time, but this is Bangkok after all.

The situation is such: I am (Dutch and) happily married to a Thai woman, and we bought a house. In her name, as of course, and I don't have a 30+30 year lease. Please leave the stupidity of this decision out of the following discussion. All I say is that I know, and am prepared to take the risk.

My question is in a slightly different direction: What happens if we are one of the happy exceptions that actually live together 'till death do us part'? If she's the first one to go - given the current life expectancy, I believe that's in something like 45 years, and laws may change but if they don't, then - who does the house then belong (go) to? Asume we have no children - or at least none with Thai nationality (I've been told by the Dutch embassy that a child over 18 has to choose nationality, and won't be allowed dual nationality!).

In short: If my Thai wife passes away, leaving behind a house and a piece of land in her name, who does the deed go to?

In short: If my Thai wife passes away, leaving behind a house and a piece of land in her name, who does the deed go to?

Her next of Kin, one of her Family. I think you have a set time limit to move out of their house if they want you out.

Happened to a guy I met 15 years ago, his wife was a victim of a robbery, they followed her out of a bank, followed her in a pick up, she was on a motorcycle, they rammed her off her bike and got out and robbed her of the money she had withdrawn, and stole her gold, even ripped her wedding ring off. She died of head injuries suffered in the crash 2 days later.

Anyway, he had a house in her name, it went to her Family and they asked him to leave, he had built them a house also but they wanted him gone , it was the daughters house, not his, so he had to leave......... :o

He liked the place he was living and he wanted to stay, but they wanted him out, he left taking anything he could with him, including light fittings.

He was an Oil worker and had taken really good care of the daughter and all her family, but once she was gone...................it was their house and he was on their land.

Edited by Maigo6

Her next of Kin, one of her Family.

This country is just too full of sad stories!

Is there any way to protect myself against this? I mean, if I have this 30+30 year lease on the property, will this lease be void if the house changes owner in this way?

Her next of Kin, one of her Family.

This country is just too full of sad stories!

Is there any way to protect myself against this? I mean, if I have this 30+30 year lease on the property, will this lease be void if the house changes owner in this way?

I'm no expert on this, but I think a 30 year lease will give you 30 years, no matter who has the title.

One of the forum members will put you right on this, as I'm sure this subject has come up before

Edited by Maigo6

Thanks for the links; I will later at leasure read all of it. The first quick idea I get from it, is 'Go to a good lawyer and see what contracts he can make for us.' Is that somewhat right?

Now find a decent lawyer in this country... :o Thank God I know one, but I've heard stories on that topic...

I don't unnerstand...if there is a 30 year lease agreement in place does this not guarantee that the leasee cannot be removed for the duration under any circumstances?

I have thought of the same nightmare scenario regarding my wife, btw and I'm quite sure that under the present circumstances that there would be no problems from the family if she was to die before me (presently no 30 year lease in place)...but if the stepdaughter was to marry some opportunist <deleted> with the dollar signs in his head who knows what would happen?

Her next of Kin, one of her Family. I think you have a set time limit to move out of their house if they want you out.

Happened to a guy I met 15 years ago, his wife was a victim of a robbery, they followed her out of a bank, followed her in a pick up, she was on a motorcycle, they rammed her off her bike and got out and robbed her of the money she had withdrawn, and stole her gold, even ripped her wedding ring off. She died of head injuries suffered in the crash 2 days later.

Anyway, he had a house in her name, it went to her Family and they asked him to leave, he had built them a house also but they wanted him gone , it was the daughters house, not his, so he had to leave......... :o

He liked the place he was living and he wanted to stay, but they wanted him out, he left taking anything he could with him, including light fittings.

He was an Oil worker and had taken really good care of the daughter and all her family, but once she was gone...................it was their house and he was on their land.

That's too bad. And chances are it was because of some rather minor cultural misunderstanding/clash (like not taking his shoes off or back talking to a family elder) somewhere along the way.

:D