What drinking water filter do you recommend???

zeekgarcia

We are looking for a drinking water filter to use at home to hopefully have safe drinking water.  We currently go to the local water vending machine to get drinking water and it says it is reverse osmosis and says it has uv but I am not sure about the uv part unless its inside the machine.

We use the village's water coming into our house to take a bath and brush our teach and it does not smell or taste bad when brushing our teeth so I am hoping it tastes ok. 

So what drinking water filter can you recommend?

Thanks

The same as used by the machine - but with you replacing filters when required.  RO is probably enough and will make it taste fine - UV is additional killing power but almost nothing is going to get through a working RO filter in any case.

There are different types of RO filters. Reversed Osmosis in my opinion is overkill as it (if it really is RO) takes away dissolved solids in the water. However many suppliers sell filters and call them RO filters but there may be some dispute it this is correct or not. However my point is, if it was real RO you would get Demineralized water (No ions whatsoever) which is very dangerous to drink as it pulls ot minerals stored in your body.

I assume they are selling normal filters and calling it RO, ask what conductivity is in the filtered water, if it is 5 - 50 mS/m it is ok for drinking. In Urban areas I would recommend activated carbon cell in addition to the filter. This is placed after the filter and removes micro-organisms, bad taste and smell. Some filters combine filter and carbon in one unit. Need to change about once a year, cost range around 3,000 - 5,000 baht for changing. 

Oh yeah almost forgot, a UV-lamp is always good insurance against micro-organisms getting through, these actually the biggest worry. Lamp is installed as the last stage just before outlet.

Edited by AlQaholic

Is 'Mineral Water' available in Thailand?    It's drinking quality water, with essential minerals.  If you have young children, it's important to have the correct level of fluoride.(no amatuer fanatics please!)

As ALQholic points out, demineralised water is not for drinking.  I have a feeling that's what some of these roadside units have.

If I were to use water from a roadside machine, I'd want to see the date of last change.   We once had a heap of teachers off sick as the owner was too mean to change the cartridges regularly. 

There a suppliers who will deliver large bottles of drinking water, for around 45baht a 19 litre bottle in most cities.

This subject comes up on TV every few months.    I sort of work with water - mostly developing world stuff - I truly see all this RO/UV  and under sink filters as being technically oversold and a bit of a scam.  Very definitely it totally pointless to lug home bottled water and carry it up steps - when there is a pump there to deliver the product where its needed.

In my house I bought a  'Terra Clear Filter'  made and sold and promoted in Lao -  www.laowater.com.   Check it out - these low cost ceramic filters are made all over the place and like a lot of things are very simple.  They are sold to work with rural water supplies.  

Its basically a ceramic 'flower pot'  made with graded material that is very slightly pourous so water passes through very slowly  - a basic filter - but fine enough to take out bugs and bacteria.   The terra clear is well designed the pots sits over a very rugged plastic container hmm some 20-25 litres and if you get the version with big lid you can upturn a  20 litre water bottle so you can constantly keep a supply dripping through.  

I have had mine in my house for 3 years - filtering the piped water to my house - no dodgy tummies - water tastes really good.

I am not commercially connected -  maybe just the little boy who see the naked emperor and not the new clothes

I've used Brita filters for years.  I like the water pitcher with the filter inside that fits nicely in the refrigerator. The water tastes great and the filter captures most heavy metals and more.

I just bought a Berkey filter system while in the USA. It is two stainless steel containers on top of each other with two filters in the top one, though there is a larger version with filters in both containers. You just pour water into the top one and it slowly filters through. I actually capture rainwater and run it through a homemade filter to take out bits of anything, and then through the Berkey. Very happy with it......filters last about a year depending on usage. Check their website online.

I bought a 5 stage filter system from Big C one year ago. At that time, the cost was about 1500 baht, they are now just slightly higher.  You can also get similar systems at Tesco, Home Pro and online at Lazada.  The wife also buys 20-liter bottles from a delivery truck for 12 baht a bottle. R/O systems provide good water, but also waste a lot.  Part of every liter that runs through the system goes down the drain.

12 hours ago, peter267 said:

This subject comes up on TV every few months.    I sort of work with water - mostly developing world stuff - I truly see all this RO/UV  and under sink filters as being technically oversold and a bit of a scam.  Very definitely it totally pointless to lug home bottled water and carry it up steps - when there is a pump there to deliver the product where its needed.

In my house I bought a  'Terra Clear Filter'  made and sold and promoted in Lao -  www.laowater.com.   Check it out - these low cost ceramic filters are made all over the place and like a lot of things are very simple.  They are sold to work with rural water supplies.  

Its basically a ceramic 'flower pot'  made with graded material that is very slightly pourous so water passes through very slowly  - a basic filter - but fine enough to take out bugs and bacteria.   The terra clear is well designed the pots sits over a very rugged plastic container hmm some 20-25 litres and if you get the version with big lid you can upturn a  20 litre water bottle so you can constantly keep a supply dripping through.  

I have had mine in my house for 3 years - filtering the piped water to my house - no dodgy tummies - water tastes really good.

I am not commercially connected -  maybe just the little boy who see the naked emperor and not the new clothes

Are they available in Thailand? What is approximate cost?

Thanks

I installed a Stiebel Eltron 4-stage wall mounted cartridge filter module which includes Ultrafiltration for drinking water only. Cost is B6,300 from Lazada delivered to your door. I got mine from Home Pro with free installation in Bangkok. Water for coffee/tea/soup etc I use an electric kettle pot from our mains water. I am a water treatment engineer with 50 years experience including the manufacture of R.O. plants, so I concur that R.O. water is not good for drinking.

3 hours ago, LPCustom69 said:

Are they available in Thailand? What is approximate cost?

Thanks

Yes,  they have availability in Thailand    - 'the full monty' - complete filter with storage bottle on top that gives near 35 litres delivery between water refills about 2,400 baht.

To find out local arrangement for Thai sales from  E mail Laowater direct - they will surely reply .

Description: Description: TC-Logo_web
TerraClear Productions Co., Ltd.
Champasak, Lao PDR
Ofc.: +856 (0) 20-5637-4888

www.laowater.com

Can say they are in effect same as Berkley filter - same simplicity of 'drip by drip'  - however Berkley filter has a ceramic 'candle' as its filter element where Terra Clear has a ceramic 'flower pot'  If water mucky you can easily wash out the debris and sun dry. 

17 hours ago, Kabula said:

I've used Brita filters for years.  I like the water pitcher with the filter inside that fits nicely in the refrigerator. The water tastes great and the filter captures most heavy metals and more.

Really? About all they do is reduced a bad taste and smell to drinking water. And you can do that by exposing the water to air for a few hours. Chlorine will dissipate. Sorry to say, but that filter jug is about as useless as t*ts on a bull.

3 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Really? About all they do is reduced a bad taste and smell to drinking water. And you can do that by exposing the water to air for a few hours. Chlorine will dissipate. Sorry to say, but that filter jug is about as useless as t*ts on a bull.

I have always heard it as  "t*ts on a boar".

12 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

In all my years in LOS and Indo, never bought water, unless out. Boil the tap water. Never been crook.

For at least 2 mins (not just until the jug turns itself off) mainly to kill off any cryptosporidium cysts that may be present.

A good read here: http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/travel/emergency_disinfection.html

On August 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM, AlQaholic said:

There are different types of RO filters. Reversed Osmosis in my opinion is overkill as it (if it really is RO) takes away dissolved solids in the water. However many suppliers sell filters and call them RO filters but there may be some dispute it this is correct or not. However my point is, if it was real RO you would get Demineralized water (No ions whatsoever) which is very dangerous to drink as it pulls ot minerals stored in your body.

I assume they are selling normal filters and calling it RO, ask what conductivity is in the filtered water, if it is 5 - 50 mS/m it is ok for drinking. In Urban areas I would recommend activated carbon cell in addition to the filter. This is placed after the filter and removes micro-organisms, bad taste and smell. Some filters combine filter and carbon in one unit. Need to change about once a year, cost range around 3,000 - 5,000 baht for changing. 

Oh yeah almost forgot, a UV-lamp is always good insurance against micro-organisms getting through, these actually the biggest worry. Lamp is installed as the last stage just before outlet.

I'm wondering what you think about Berkey stand alone filters c came highly rec to me.  Takes out minerals too so I supplement w Himalayan salt and another product

2 hours ago, Harveyg said:

I'm wondering what you think about Berkey stand alone filters c came highly rec to me.  Takes out minerals too so I supplement w Himalayan salt and another product

I just looked at that filter (Berkey) and their web site, looks very good to me, + is that it is gravity filter. I'm sure it will be fine for you. Adding minerals is a good idea too, never thought of doing that myself, will look into it.

5 hours ago, lvr181 said:

For at least 2 mins (not just until the jug turns itself off) mainly to kill off any cryptosporidium cysts that may be present.

A good read here: http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/travel/emergency_disinfection.html

As soon as the water bubbles, I use it.Been doing it for 13 years, here and in Indo.

OP: What is your source of water?  If city, they filter out some solids and normally do chlorinate. Though big problems do crop up with the delivery system to your tap.  Cracked pipes with low pressure let's all sorts of nasty stuff into your supply.  As does a storage tank that's not properly cleaned.

Our water is supplied by the city, but comes out brown quite often.  And not too far from us, some 600 people got sick from the local water supply.  RO may be overkill, but you're 99% guaranteed you won't get sick from it and many of the heavy metals will be removed.  Not as important for us adults, but critical for children.

I'd never get water from a street side dispenser.  A majority are not properly maintained.  You're better off boiling your water and letting it stand over night.  We go through a big bottle of water every day.  So that method wouldn't work for us.

I bought a big water filter from HomeMart a few years ago.  Had a guy come out to service it and asked if it was good enough for drinking water.  He just laughed.  No way. 

I've been to the reservoirs here in town.  I've seen people changing their car oil on the shores, water buffalo roaming around, dogs, etc.  No way would I drink that water.  And who knows what gets dumped into them.  Like this...and can you imagine what gets dumped into the Chao Praya river?  Source for water for Bangkok.

I'll stick with my bottled water.

On August 30, 2016 at 5:16 PM, masuk said:

There a suppliers who will deliver large bottles of drinking water, for around 45baht a 19 litre bottle in most cities.

Do you know the name of any of these suppliers?  I've looked online in BKK and found Sprinkle came up. They are ~500bht per 19L, so dramatically more expensive.  Nestle also came up, but they don't have prices listed. 

A 3 filter unit with UV lamp is more than sufficient for drinking water outlets they are incredibly easy to install and will fit into under counter cupboard spaces, change of filters is yearly and just make sure to run the taps regularly to keep the circuit fresh if you don't use them much or leave for holidays etc

Just for reference a reverse osmosis unit will waste approximately 40-50% of the water it cleans, this being a valid point if you are either on a water well with low water tables around or paying for the supplied water then filtering it for drinking purposes

1 hour ago, DaUke said:

Do you know the name of any of these suppliers?  I've looked online in BKK and found Sprinkle came up. They are ~500bht per 19L, so dramatically more expensive.  Nestle also came up, but they don't have prices listed. 

Ask around your village or condo.  Guaranteed a few are delivering there.

On 8/31/2016 at 5:33 PM, lvr181 said:

Ahhh yes.  The crypotosporidiums. Don't forget the giardias too.  

I had both after my last visit in to Thailand last year.  

I don't know where they came from.  It could have been the water from out of the faucet when I was brushing my teeth.  

Can those pests live in ice???

I'm sure that Thais have completely different set of plumbing than the rest of us. When I stayed in a Thai village with my girlfriend of the time some years ago her mother was positioning these large urns one day so that when it rained the water from the roof would collect in them.

At the time I thought she was saving water for the garden and the banana trees which were dotted around everywhere, but no: it was destined for use as drinking water. No filters were ever used and she would just dip empty bottles in these urns to fill them with water and then put them straight in the 'fridge. Never even boiled  the stuff. Yet they never seemed to get ill. Quite odd really.