Floods cause havoc in many northern, central, northeastern provinces

webfact

Floods cause havoc in many northern, central, northeastern provinces

300801-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Floods are now causing havoc in several northern, northeastern, central and southern provinces and are becoming a concern as the Meteorological Department today forecasts more rains will hit the country's northern, northeastern, central, and southern region this week.

So far authorities reported floods have wreaked havoc in Phrae, Uthai Thani, Sukhothai,  Nakhon Sawan, Phetchabun, Lopburi,  Phetchaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Nakhon Ratchasima, Phang Nga, and Trang.

Meanwhile, the weather forecaster said more rains are expected as the monsoon trough is still moving through the north and upper northeastern regions while the moderate strength southwesterly wind is also blowing across the Andaman Sea, the South and the Gulf of Thailand.

As a consequence, rains will continue this week with heavy rains in some areas, mostly in Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phayao, Phrae, Nan, Tak, Uttaradit, Loei, Nong Bua Lampoo, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Kanchanaburi, Suphanburi, Chai Nat, Lopburi, Uthai Thani, Nakhon Sawan, Ratchaburi, Chanthaburi, Trat, Ranong, Phang Nga, and Krabi.

It warned people in these areas to be on alert of dangers from rains and accumulated rainwater in mountainous areas, particularly flash floods.

For Bangkok and adjacent provinces, rains are expected in the afternoon, with heavy rains in some areas.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/floods-cause-havoc-many-northern-central-northeastern-provinces/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-30

Prepare the tugboats and rope!

On a more serious note, I wonder if the Committee Responsible for solving the drought crisis Action Plan (CRAP) has changed their name to Committee Responsible for solving the Flood Crisis yet...

It seems the rain still comes in small cells not the big monsoon covering large areas.

We had a lot of rain during the last few days while the closest provincial capitals (Nong Bua Lamphu [70 km] and Khon Kaen [80 km]) showed 0.0 on the Thai met weather site.

(today first time showing some 29 mm in N.B.L.)

So it is still a game of luck whether you get rain or not.

6 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Where's this rain they keep talking about in Chiang Mai? This month has been the driest August I've ever experienced in over a dozen years. Occasional 1-hour tinkle then it dries up. 

Our fishpond here in Saraphi tells me clearly: "more than in an average August". But Chiang Mai is a large province ...

No mention of Udon Thani. Strange as I've never experienced so much rainfall in just 15-20 min in my life. 30 cm of flood water and cars began to float, including our Nissan March, trees fell everywhere and several cars crashed into them or ran out of the road to avoid them. On the road from Udon to Kut Chap it was complete chaos with cars being spread everywhere. Literally floating. One car was even completely under water as it had been flushed down a pit in the farms.

It continued to rain very heavily for several more hours but I didn't notice any increase in water levels. What was really nice to see is everyone helped each other by pushing the cars and cutting the trees. This is something I really like about Thailand. In less than 2 hours we could start driving again as 10-15 large trees were cut and moved away and 40-50 floating cars had been pushed more than a km. No serious damage on our car as far as I'm aware of other than some scrapes on front and rare bumper as well as on the driver's side and a big bump on the door which I just fixed yesterday by only pushing it in place with my hands from the inside. Will check tomorrow if the car has any water damage.

Nice to see the reservoirs are topped off here in the North, although they will be screaming 'drought' in six months. Too bad they don't let the Dutch come in and show them how to properly conduct water management.  Oh well.  :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, connda said:

Nice to see the reservoirs are topped off here in the North, although they will be screaming 'drought' in six months. Too bad they don't let the Dutch come in and show them how to properly conduct water management.  Oh well.  :rolleyes:

They did let them come already.*  

But take their advice?   Naaaahh!   It has to be a Thai idea.  

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 5.00.56 PM.png 

*Adri Verwey, Dutch researcher, invited to Bangkok as an advisor to the Flood Relief Operations Command (FROC).  Came during the Great Flood of 2011.  After the obligatory PR appearances where the status quo was challenged too often, sent packing.

Among his conclusions:
1) Flooding events are too heavily politicized (on a scale of 1 to 10:  7)  by the various agencies in charge.
2) Closer cooperation required between the various responsible agencies.  Too much was left to local communities to handle situations far beyond their capabilities

3) Clearer definition of the roles of agencies responsible for water management.

Edited by Fookhaht

Just now, jamesbrock said:

Prepare the tugboats and rope!

On a more serious note, I wonder if the Committee Responsible for solving the drought crisis Action Plan (CRAP) has changed their name to Committee Responsible for solving the Flood Crisis yet...

Wonder no more jb.

The new commiteeoverseeing flooding is under the aegis of the Senior Hydrological Information Taskforce.