snoop1130

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

Agreed.  The Brexit losers will want to put it down to that, but I really don't think Brexit has anything to do with this.  I'm certain there's an older thread here on TV about the proposal to leave that embassy site that predates the referendum by some months I think.

But I didn't realize that embassy sites were the guest country's real property to buy & sell.  So I did some research, and it seems that's in fact the case.  The host country simply approves the sale (or the lease).  Ex.  The U.S. Embassy in London at Grosvenor Sq. is on land leased (a 999-yr lease) from the Duke of Westminster.  It's moving, however, to land that's been purchased in Wandsworth.

It's hard to believe the EU countries would give up sovereignty to the extent of closing their respective embassies in favor of a single EU embassy. That implies there will no longer be an ambassadorial exchange with each of these countries, and I find that hard to believe.  You say it's a "fact", so please provide the source for that.

Apologies for the "fact" mistake. The way that the EU has morphed from a free-trade area to what it is today, and with an inkling that it will further change. It already has many of the trappings of a nation (super) state. I think there is already an EU diplomatic mission in Bangkok. These things tend to happen very gradually, over many years.

In the run-up to the Referendum someone suggested that an EU Army was on the cards which was described as "rubbish" by the Remain side.

It's only in the last few days that the leaders of Hungary (Ithink) have called for what would effectively be an EU Army

41 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Has anyone really stopped to consider these prices? Nine acres for $600 million US? 

It was rumoured that the owners of the old Federal Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 11 got a whopping 700 million Baht for it, on a much smaller site.

It wouldn't surpise me if $600 mill was in the ballpark.

Edited by Andrew65

15 hours ago, Chookie said:

Downsizing? or Rightsizing? 

Thailand seems to be getting unfashionable these days.

Chook

Your sensory acuity seems to be working overtime pal, all directed towards finding signs and symbols of Thailand's decline and fall. Yet as the saying goes, a hammer only sees nails. :)

I heard of this several months ago from expats here.  Thailand has a nice chance to open a green park here, but I'm sure there is little chance of that. Wait for the baht to slide before pulling the trigger on this one. Big condo's I'm sure.

16 hours ago, manarak said:

I'm puzzled by this sale.

Does it mean the British Embassy is the owner of that land?

When land is given to a foreign country to establish its embassy, it is land that effectively becomes full property of a foreign government and it can then be sold?

what is the process of getting new land for a new embassy?

A land swap?

I'm pretty sure the British Embassy sold off a big chunk some years ago.  9 or 10 rai I think.  There was an outcry from the Brits then.  So there's nothing new here and I'm sure this is part of a bigger plan.

I think you Brits should lighten up about Brexit . I think it will be good for you in the long haul, maybe get some good jobs back, I hope the pound comes back for you and I think it will. Take your country back as the US should follow suit, and that will temporarily drive the dollar down too.  Sorry off topic.

I like the idea of us having a grand imposing embassy but on the other hand I am well aware that the Staff could not care less about us.

In fact they are aloof and obstructive.

Try sending a letter to the Ambassador.........it will be waylaid and he will never see it! They admit it and actually smirk!

17 hours ago, baboon said:

They might as well sell up and move to a cubby hole on the outskirts of town for all the use they are...

And that's the point. Outsourced all the visa and passport work. Want something notarizing - the Consulate website says local lawyers are probably cheaper and more convenient and recommends several. 

The "business" section is more an "old boys, all been here years and never going to change"club. And if you, as a citizen need help, don't bother them, that's not what they're there for.

15 years ago, I worked closely with the British High Commission in India. They were massively more helpful and active than the bunch of dodos we seem to have in Thailand. Maybe that's changed there too. But from my conversations with American, Aussie, German and French friends, we seem to have the worst and least interested.

2 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

the post is definitely misleading.

1. Embassies do not own the land they are on here or anywhere I can think of (did a bit of searching to confirm that which I thought was common knowledge)

2. The British Residence here is on Crown Property Bureau land, as is about 75% of all prime property in Bangkok. It is customary to grant a very long lease to an Embassy - up to 100 years or more with clause to renew. 

Therefore, it seems that the Brits are selling the building and the lease for the land. 

Did they not sell the lease for all that land that Central Embassy is built on? That is CPB land, no?

The British High Commission in Chennai was owned by HMQE. The last property owned by the UK royal family in India. That was the case in 2004.

The Embassy in Abu Dhabi is on land owned by Britain. The would not sell that and were always grumbling about being overlooked by new high rise apartment and office blocks sprouting all around them. That was the case in 2011.

How that fits in with Thai law, and the restriction on foreign ownership, long term lease and lease transference - no idea. But either way, whatever it is that's being sold, it's up for ThB 18 billion.

Just now, Deepinthailand said:

No big shakes Thailand is pretty near the bottom of the pecking order. Will still have a bit his consulate precence if it's in an industrial estate so be it.

That would be why a Minister from May's government has already visited Thailand, why Thai delegation has been welcomed, why copious Universities, Schools and education establishments visit several times a year and why British businesses are looking to invest more would it?

10 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

And that's the point. Outsourced all the visa and passport work. Want something notarizing - the Consulate website says local lawyers are probably cheaper and more convenient and recommends several. 

The "business" section is more an "old boys, all been here years and never going to change"club. And if you, as a citizen need help, don't bother them, that's not what they're there for.

15 years ago, I worked closely with the British High Commission in India. They were massively more helpful and active than the bunch of dodos we seem to have in Thailand. Maybe that's changed there too. But from my conversations with American, Aussie, German and French friends, we seem to have the worst and least interested.

This was more than 10 years ago. One my old friends is originally from Wales, but spent much of his life in Canada.

As someone with Canadian & British passports he had used both embassies and reckoned the British one was better.

According to him the Canadian Embassy was run by a bunch of "dykes-in-suits".

Another thing with the British Embassy, again from friends. c 30k Baht under the table gets a visit visa for your girlfriend/concubine (who would otherwise almost certainly be refused one).

On my most recent visit to the embassy, it seemed to be staffed entirely by Thais who are cheaper. Also, which self-respecting diplomat wants to do all that mundane paper-shuffling.

In recent years I have found that the Australian Embassy provides a much cheaper and quicker service. The last time I had my Brit passport notarized it took about 15 minutes and cost about one third of what my compatriots at the BE will scam you for.

17 hours ago, Chookie said:

Downsizing? or Rightsizing? 

Thailand seems to be getting unfashionable these days.

Chook

No it's not. Not with Mrs May's government, British businesses, British Education and Research establishments, British Expats and British holiday makers.

Still, don't let facts and reality stop you.

2 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

the location is central,everyone knows it is worth a lot of money.just wonder the real reason for selling and I also think where will they go after

If they're downsizing, perhaps a couple of rented storefronts in a suburban strip mall, protected by a couple of Thai security guards?
Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 12.27.49 PM.png     Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 12.25.30 PM.png

Then all that budget can be redirected to genuine assistance for Brit expats, tourists, and promoting commerce.    

Hope springs eternal.   :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

That would be why a Minister from May's government has already visited Thailand, why Thai delegation has been welcomed, why copious Universities, Schools and education establishments visit several times a year and why British businesses are looking to invest more would it?

Jesus calm down man its a plot of land not the end of the world. Thailand is far down the pecking order but that doesn't mean no trade ect just that there are bigger fish out there

9 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

If they're downsizing, perhaps a couple of rented storefronts in a suburban strip mall, protected by a couple of Thai security guards?
Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 12.27.49 PM.png     Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 12.25.30 PM.png

Then all that budget can be redirected to genuine assistance for Brit expats, tourists, and promoting commerce.    

Hope springs eternal.   :rolleyes:

Maybe they're selling it to give the money to me and keep me in a lifestyle to which I'm unaccustomed!

1 minute ago, Andrew65 said:

This was more than 10 years ago. One my old friends is originally from Wales, but spent much of his life in Canada.

As someone with Canadian & British passports he had used both embassies and reckoned the British one was better.

According to him the Canadian Embassy was run by a bunch of "dykes-in-suits".

Another thing with the British Embassy, again from friends. c 30k Baht under the table gets a visit visa for your girlfriend/concubine (who would otherwise almost certainly be refused one).

On my most recent visit to the embassy, it seemed to be staffed entirely by Thais who are cheaper. Also, which self-respecting diplomat wants to do all that mundane paper-shuffling.

In recent years I have found that the Australian Embassy provides a much cheaper and quicker service. The last time I had my Brit passport notarized it took about 15 minutes and cost about one third of what my compatriots at the BE will scam you for.

No idea about the Canadians. 

I seriously doubt that the old visa section and entry clearance officers took bribes. Early this century the British lady in charge had a reputation for making sure people were unjustly failed. She was replaced. People were seen by a ECO and a Thai interpreter, regardless of their ability in English at that time. My wife, a teacher who spoke very good English, told me that the ECO spoke politely whereas the Thai translated rudely, on purpose, and not always accurately. There were complaints at that time that some of the Thai interpreters, all female, were jealous and doing all they could to try and scupper the applicant's interview. I'd worked closely with the equivalent section, and it's senior head in India and he gave me a lot of this background. He also came here to do some "work" in sorting things.

In Abu Dhabi the consulate was staffed by a lot of Indians. They were all long time employees, super efficient, and very helpful and friendly. They qualified for British citizenship after so many years work which is why many accepted the low pay.

Now visas and passport renewal applications are outsourced. As for other consulate services - good luck with those now and be prepared to pay! But consulates are run by the Home Office not by the Foreign Office.