Thailand's first halal hotel hopes to help boost Muslim arrivals

snoop1130

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Moslems have felt increasingly unwelcome in previously favoured tourist destinations such as London, Paris, New York.  They have therefore looked for more friendly destinations.  I understand the number of Moslem tourists visiting Malaysia has increased significantly for just this reason.  I suspect the hotel is a smart move from a business perspective.

From a Thai perspective, I suspect it's not important which country a tourist is from - Western Europe, Russia, China, Middle East, it's all the same - as long as they spend lots of money here and then go.

Can't they just visit other Islamic countries ?  They dislike scantily clad women ( supposedly )

They dislike alcohol ( supposedly ) They want their wives to wear a penguin suit and they expect Halal food and kitchens cleaned and blessed by religious officials.. Hardly sounds like Thailand or any of the Western tourist hotspots does it ?

Guess it all depends if we are trying about muslim families or single muslim men.. From my observations, single muslim men are mostly desperate to drink and get laid just about anywhere they can. Certainly plenty in London driving high end cars doing exactly that.. Just don't tell their Mum and Dad..

26 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

Sorry but this is such an idiotic comment, I just had to respond.

You do realise that there are millions of Muslims living here in Thailand, right?

You do realise that most Thai women are not "scantily-clad" outside the bar/gogo areas the typical Western loser frequents, right?

You do realise non-Thai Muslims like and eat Thai food, right?

You do realise that alcohol is sold and consumed in many countries with large Muslim communities, right?

You do realise they're not all radicals and fundamentalists, right?

Last time I looked, even Thai girls that work in a bank, wear mini skirts, some even wear bikinis at the beach, tourists certainly do. Given that Muslims prefer that women dress modestly, this may be offensive to some Muslims. Why would you go on holidays were women often dress other than modest Muslim dress.

Last time I looked, the predominate meat product in Thailand is pork. Given that pork is not Halal and Halal choices are not in the majority,  it may be hard for a Muslim to find a Halal meal. Why would you go on holidays were the predominate food is other than your religion.

Last time I looked, alcohol is freely available in Thailand and a lot of the tourist destinations revolve around it. Given that most Muslims consume little alcohol or in some cases it is strictly forbidden. Why would you go on holidays were people are doing the opposite of your religious beliefs.

If I dont like Gambling, would I go to Los Vegas for holidays ?

I would see Malaysia as a more acceptable destination for Muslims, The main religion is Islam, Halal food is more available, women dress modestly, There isn't a big culture of alcohol consumption.

Complete rubbish article and many even more rubbish comments.

I own a hotel in Krabi province and know of at least 4 Halal hotels in Ao Nang alone, so how come this is the first in the country?

Songkhla and other tourist destinations in the South (including Phuket), have a large number of Malay visitors - the majority of whom are Muslim, therefore they cater to them and do so without alienating their other guests.

Our average Muslim guests are as far removed from terrorists as your average Church of England, once a year attendee, is from the Amish.

Treating all Muslims as potential terrorists will only increase their sense of isolation and strengthen their resolve. Look at the early years of Christianity and later the persecution of the Jews; both led to isolation and the strengthening of their respective faiths.

Adhere to Buddhism's principles of religious tolerance in a Buddhist country.

You don't have to stay at a Halal hotel if you choose not to - so leave them be.

1 hour ago, Agent Sumo said:

Sorry but this is such an idiotic comment, I just had to respond.

You do realise that there are millions of Muslims living here in Thailand, right?

You do realise that most Thai women are not "scantily-clad" outside the bar/gogo areas the typical Western loser frequents, right?

You do realise non-Thai Muslims like and eat Thai food, right?

You do realise that alcohol is sold and consumed in many countries with large Muslim communities, right?

You do realise they're not all radicals and fundamentalists, right?

You do realise that many of these Muslim men are just waiting for the right time when they can get away to Nana by themselves, right? And often times this is the "family trip", there is another one where they come with their mates for the "real fun" :)

56 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Last time I looked, even Thai girls that work in a bank, wear mini skirts, some even wear bikinis at the beach, tourists certainly do. Given that Muslims prefer that women dress modestly, this may be offensive to some Muslims. Why would you go on holidays were women often dress other than modest Muslim dress.

Last time I looked, the predominate meat product in Thailand is pork. Given that pork is not Halal and Halal choices are not in the majority,  it may be hard for a Muslim to find a Halal meal. Why would you go on holidays were the predominate food is other than your religion.

Last time I looked, alcohol is freely available in Thailand and a lot of the tourist destinations revolve around it. Given that most Muslims consume little alcohol or in some cases it is strictly forbidden. Why would you go on holidays were people are doing the opposite of your religious beliefs.

If I dont like Gambling, would I go to Los Vegas for holidays ?

I would see Malaysia as a more acceptable destination for Muslims, The main religion is Islam, Halal food is more available, women dress modestly, There isn't a big culture of alcohol consumption.

More evidence of just how clueless you sound. If you ventured beyond the barstools and whorehouses, you'd know that Thailand is still a conservative country.

Just as in other religions, there are moderates and there are those who follow the precepts more rigidly. The overwhelming majority of Muslims are moderate and very tolerant of others.

I know Muslims who love a bacon sarnie, who like a drink and who are just as open to a dalliance with a female wearing hot pants and stilettos as the typical sex refugee.

Furthermore, I don't see Thailand's huge Muslim population heading for the exits to live in Muslim countries horrified at how some non-Muslim Thai women dress. 

Yes, of course pork, alcohol and prostitutes are available in Thailand but, if you don't want to partake of those things, they're perfectly easy to avoid. Chicken, fish and beef are served pretty much everywhere as is fruit juice

Maybe get out of the whore-traps, try thinking for yourself and opening your eyes instead of regurgitating the skewed, populist mainstream view of Muslims designed to keep the poorly-educated living in perpetual fear.

45 minutes ago, mesterm said:

You do realise that many of these Muslim men are just waiting for the right time when they can get away to Nana by themselves, right? And often times this is the "family trip", there is another one where they come with their mates for the "real fun" :)

Yes, of course I do 

1 hour ago, Agent Sumo said:

More evidence of just how clueless you sound. If you ventured beyond the barstools and whorehouses, you'd know that Thailand is still a conservative country.

Just as in other religions, there are moderates and there are those who follow the precepts more rigidly. The overwhelming majority of Muslims are moderate and very tolerant of others.

I know Muslims who love a bacon sarnie, who like a drink and who are just as open to a dalliance with a female wearing hot pants and stilettos as the typical sex refugee.

Furthermore, I don't see Thailand's huge Muslim population heading for the exits to live in Muslim countries horrified at how some non-Muslim Thai women dress. 

Yes, of course pork, alcohol and prostitutes are available in Thailand but, if you don't want to partake of those things, they're perfectly easy to avoid. Chicken, fish and beef are served pretty much everywhere as is fruit juice

Maybe get out of the whore-traps, try thinking for yourself and opening your eyes instead of regurgitating the skewed, populist mainstream view of Muslims designed to keep the poorly-educated living in perpetual fear.

If indeed , Muslims are here chowing down on bacon burgers, drinking and hooking up with girls in hot pants, Halal food is in plentiful supply. No issues with bikini clad girls, 

Why the need for a "Halal Hotel" , with waitresses in Islamic dress? Could it be that it fits better with their religious requirements ?

Supply and demand. Someone is opening a Halal hotel to cater to a demand, ie: Halal food and drink, modest clothing and no alcohol.

BTW, I dont go to girly bars or use prostitutes, I dont live in a sexpat area. Maybe you need to stop regurgitating the skewed, populist mainstream view

Why in the name of Satan would one want to do that ? Thailand is already in enough trouble why would they invite more trouble,,,Just look at the Southern end of Thailand,,,, It's the same all over the world, invite more Muslims is inviting lots of trouble,,,they don't mix and they Enforce their believes to all/us Infidels (non believers of Islam),,,Read the Quran and you will understand,,,

Why in the name of Satan would one want to do that ? Thailand is already in enough trouble why would they invite more trouble,,,Just look at the Southern end of Thailand,,,, It's the same all over the world, invite more Muslims is inviting lots of trouble,,,they don't mix and they Enforce their believes to all/us Infidels (non believers of Islam),,,Read the Quran and you will understand,,,

Don't you mean the Great Satan?
Is he related to the Easter bunny and Santa?

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Why the need for a "Halal Hotel" , with waitresses in Islamic dress? Could it be that it fits better with their religious requirements ?

Supply and demand. Someone is opening a Halal hotel to cater to a demand, ie: Halal food and drink, modest clothing and no alcohol.

You've answered your own question

A good thing about that hotel is that it keeps all of them gathered up and locked up in one place so they don't have to spread around and tells me to stay far away from there. That place must be the safest from terrorist attacks right?

1 hour ago, Howitzer said:

A good thing about that hotel is that it keeps all of them gathered up and locked up in one place so they don't have to spread around and tells me to stay far away from there. That place must be the safest from terrorist attacks right?

Maybe not ,,,They have been know to kill anything,,.

11 hours ago, bendejo said:

Malaysia gets a whole lot of Muslim tourists, especially during the summer months.  Someone in Thailand is obviously eyeing that market.  Halal McDonald's is the next step.

On the other hand I can see why some lads would come to Thailand for the sin, but they wouldn't want to be around the faithful.

This one's for you, JT.

nabe.jpg

Yes, there are Kosher McDonalds in Israel (but not all of them there are Kosher).

Outside Israel there is only one other Kosher McDonalds in Abasto Mall, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Coincidentally I visited that mall at the time of a Jewish cultural festival there. 

But not the McDonalds. That would be sad to eat at anywhere, especially Buenos Aires.

I do remember seeing the movie, 40 Year Old Virgin at that mall and there was a lot of comedy when I tried to buy the ticket in my crappy Spanish. 

It's very doubtful that there will ever be a Kosher McDonalds in Thailand. 

Edited by Jingthing

Odd - in my experience of Muslim countries , you would not get women working in the restaurant - even wearing a Hijab.

On a recent short break in Bangkok at a decent hotel - the Chatrium - everything was Halal at breakfast and marked as so( no tasty bacon in sight)

I did feel like saying something - thought it was a bit strange.

I always find it a bit weird - if you buy a pack of tea or something similar- marked as Halal- presumably the tea leaves were cut from the plant using a knife blessed by the authorities .

its like Kosher- they have to pay for that label- total racket. 

The comparison with Malaysia is silly- a country moving toward Sharia. 

Halal slaughter is appalling -the world seems to bend over backwards to appease the religion of peace- if you don't suicide bombers on the way. 

In my experience many of the Indian restaurants in Pattaya regularly use Halal meats because lots of the customers are Muslims. Those are often the cheaper places so it seems doubtful that there is much of a markup for Halal meats in Thailand vs. non-Halal. Kosher meats on the other hand, as there is  such an incredibly TINY market for that in Thailand does have a significant markup. I really think that's mostly a matter of supply and demand ... it's a niche market. Halal here is way bigger than niche.

22 hours ago, SoFarAndNear said:

Yes, TH is like Disney Land for them. The Land where everything is allowed what they only can dream of in their strict conservative home countries...

Yes, then they set about wanting to change it, to accommodate their medieval brainwashing!

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

To my knowledge, there is only one source for Kosher meat in thailand for a tiny tiny market (most Jews in thailand are Israeli tourists and don't keep Kosher) so it's pretty silly to suggest an equivalence to Halal which is big here. So since you brought it up, perhaps you wish to share your great knowledge about how wonderfully humane the non-Halal slaugherhouses are in thailand compared to the Halal ones. I'm quite skeptical. Not just theory, but realities. Do you know? I don't know but you seem to present yourself as someone that does. 

For what it's worth, a humane killer stuns the beast before it is killed, as opposed to being bled to death in halal - which derives from Abrahamic religious tradition and is similar, though not identical, to Kosher practice.

I didn't know that most Israelis didn't adhere to kosher meat traditions. Maybe you can tell me more? Certainly most Israelis I know are secular or reformed - I don't know any Hassidim.

Edited by dru2

13 minutes ago, dru2 said:

For what it's worth, a humane killer stuns the beast before it is killed, as opposed to being bled to death in halal - which derives directly from kosher practice.

OK, now I have to look this up.

Again, in actual practice, not theory, are the non-Halal slaughterhouses in THAILAND really all that humane.

What you've asserted may be true or maybe not true.

Slaughtering animals is not my thing ... but we can always learn.

But I see you seem to be implying something very negative about Halal slaughter and pointing to the Jews as the source of that.

Funny, it's always the Jews ... :facepalm:

My POV here is no secret.

I eat meat. I'll eat Secular, Kosher, and  Halal. Whatever is being served. Don't kiss a gift horse in the mouth. Horse meat. Yummy. 

I don't want food animals to suffer more than they have to but I also recognize the value of human beings and their rights (within humane limits) of practicing their religious traditions, and also the rights of people who don't want anything to do with religious traditions.

http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News/Pre-slaughter-stun-less-humane-than-shechita

The researchers reached the conclusion that electric stunning of animals, often advocated as kinder than kosher slaughter, “is in fact cruel and barbaric,” as if one administered ECT without first giving patients sedation and/or general anesthesia.

http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm

Ritual slaughter is known as shechitah, and the person who performs the slaughter is called a shochet, both from the Hebrew root Shin-Cheit-Teit. The method of slaughter is a quick, deep stroke across the throat with a perfectly sharp blade with no nicks or unevenness. This method is painless, causes unconsciousness within two seconds, and is widely recognized as the most humane method of slaughter possible.

Edited by Jingthing