Get your noses out of your phones

autanic

52 minutes ago, brownknees said:

I gave in about 4 months ago and bought a ""smartphone""".After a week it was driving me crazy and now after four months I took out the sim card and replaced in my old Nokia which behaves itself.I did find out that the not so smartphone was actually made in India but comes in a nice glossy box and looks the bees knees but it just did not perform ,how much ?B2500.Example wake up and look at the screen,message says CPU overheating now 47degs!!!Using the phone ,after approx. ten minutes talk phone goes dead screen goes black and you have to restart by remeoving battery!!Other stuff such as a million "Apps"appear each day .

Finally considered that as I really only need a device to make phone calls the old Nokia fits the bill!!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more as I've taken to ignoring the flashing light on my smartphone because its rarely something important - e.g. missed calls/texts etc. - its new (unwanted) apps/updates etc. etc.....

Apart from the great camera, I seriously dislike the bloody thing!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FB is one of the things that we surely can do without?I used to get real E mails now rarely get any from people I know,even my wife has to have a last look before lights out!!All the village kids have one as soon as they can read!!Who says Isaan is poor !!!

2 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Kids today blah, blah.....wouldn't happen in my day blah, blah......don't know how good they've got it blah, bloody, blah.

When I was in the war..........

When I was a kid our family used to live in a shoe box at the bottom of a lake, each bloody morning........blah...blah..blah...

Edited by AlQaholic

Just now, AlQaholic said:

When I was a kid our family used to live in a shoe box at the bottom of a lake, each bloody morning........

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

24 minutes ago, brownknees said:

FB is one of the things that we surely can do without?I used to get real E mails now rarely get any from people I know,even my wife has to have a last look before lights out!!All the village kids have one as soon as they can read!!Who says Isaan is poor !!!

I bet when e-mails was introduced about 30 years ago somebody stood up and said "I used to get fax almost everyday, now nobody seems to care about fax anymore, damned e-mejl thing!!" :cheesy:

Well ,I had a fax machine as it saved me a lot of money sending CVs off!!!However not many of my friends had them ! I only discovered E mail on a job in Indonesia when I was asked one morning if I would like to check my E mail!Wot I said wot is E mail ?So I was introduced to it (1996)and it was very helpful for finding work but not many friends were on it but of course after a while my contacts built up and it was great!!However I have not had much success with Skype (on my pc)and of about 50 contacts only three are in regular contact?!!

5 hours ago, BudRight said:

How would you know what they're doing? They could be reading Shakespeare or Euclid. That you think it must be something stupid says a lot more about you than them.

After teaching over a dozen years in Thailand to Thai students of all ages (pre-school to grandmothers), I can assure you 150% that's not what they're reading.  

Edited by Fookhaht

2 hours ago, ttthailand said:

I don't mind the ones on the BTS or sitting at Starbucks or anyone who is not really doing anything. The morons who walk down the sidewalk, drive their motorbikes . . . 

Does bring to mind a news item from last week, in Nong Khai.  
Motorcyclist glued to his phone while hurtling down the freeway...Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 11.20.49 AM.png
The last thing that "went through his mind" was certainly not a text or post.  

In most circumstances, being aware of the reality around us certainly trumps what the digital world can offer.  

Me and Mrs just got ordinary mobile phones don't want iPhone/smartphone etc,  my kids on the other hand,  yeah very annoying.

Thread reminds me of a funny story;  A father is reading a couple of different large newspapers and his son said dad you should get with it,  you can read all the newspapers on my tablet phone,  look l'll show you,  em his dad said OK l'll give it a try,  son comes back to pick up his tablet phone and the screen is cracked,  dad what have you done,  Oh !!  Yeah sorry about that son them things ain't much good at swatting flies.   

20 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

Does bring to mind a news item from last week, in Nong Khai.  
The last thing that "went through his mind" was certainly not a text or post. 

I doubt whether it was Shakespeare or Euclid either.

Adds more to post though,  Get lorry out of nose.

Edited by Kwasaki

Thais? How about expats? Set the damned thing down and look around you bunch of boobs. I was in America last year and it matters not the price of restaurant or night club over 50% are in the device.  Look at the crowds at sporting events. I tell people they are rude to do this at a table full of friends and or relatives but I am told I'm rude to mention it. Before I retired I fired people for this. I'm glad I'm old and on my way out. I can't bare the thought of cars driving themselves. I feel bad for the newborns.  Miserable bunch of zombies. Yeah live and let not live.

9 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Thais? How about expats? Set the damned thing down and look around you bunch of boobs.

Did you forget "at a" between "you" and "bunch?"  Just checking.

If so, that might be a very good reason to set the damned thing down--after the obligatory photo or two.     :whistling:

Edited by Fookhaht

Like others, it doesn't bother me at all when people are glued to their 'phones - as long as they're not driving/shop assistants etc.  It makes sense to while away time on the internet when stuck on a train/waiting for an appt. etc. etc.

Its little different to the way some of us read a book when in these situations.

Its been going on ever since mobile 'phones were invented.  I could only laugh when (more than a decade ago) I saw three friends walking together - and instead of talking to each other they were all talking on their 'phones!

Get your noses out of your phones

How right you are, but I don't think it is just a Thai thing.

I remember when I first went to Pattaya about ten years ago, I was walking down Beach road, I had no intention of using a hooker, I could

get plenty of girls without having to pay, but I was watching the fat, ugly, tattooed, facial haired brigade getting approached all the time as well

as myself. Now when I walk down Beach Road most of the hookers have their noses in their smartphones ignoring all the guys walking past.

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

People can do whatever they want BUT when they walk into me because they are staring at their phone..........

Hard to avoid them because you don't know where they will walk to. And they don't either.

People who feel the need to pace as they are talking on their phone are also a hazard.

I am also tired of people that are looking one way and walking in another direction. It's as if I need to walk for both of us.

Anyway, that's MY rant. I now just let them walk into me but I steel myself so I don't get knocked over. They don't appreciate it. Oh well.

If any adult (not old ones) walks into me, or across my path, whether on a smartphone or not, I just walk right through them as

if they weren't there then say solly with a big smile.

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

That doesn't surprise me since the new world order there probably don't own phones yet. Sorry, couldn't help it. :whistling:

the "new world"? Do you mean the immigrants? They soon will when they get their benefits, oh sorry, I was

thinking about the UK.:lol:

3 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Every Gimme-grant I have ever seen on "The BeeB" is clutching a mobile phone.. Maybe that's why so many have drowned ? Holding their phone out of the water instead of trying to swim ?

You mean before they get here?? The ones you have seen have already been at the benefit office.

Spending a few weeks in P'pinnes. many restaurants and bars are pretty strict about the staff not using mobile phones. I think in generl the service here is better than in Thailand but not sure if that is down to 'attitude' or smart phone use!

Some good observations about book and newspaper readers in the past. Broadsheet newspapers being read on crowded trains was ridiculous and far more anti social than smart phone use. Book readers could get so engrossed that you couldn't get their attention for hours or even days!  A Western wife or partner going to bed reading a book, what could be worse?

3 hours ago, bangon04 said:

When you enter a train in the UK . please be sure to shake hands with all the other passengers.

All???? Even the immigrants?? When I get to the UK next week, these immigrants sitting on the pavements begging while on their

smartphones (by courtesy of the UK government) they will be getting their wee cups kicked over, accidents can happen.

3 hours ago, transam said:

I was doing an 'English' seminar last week, about forty folk, all in there twenties. A few were farting around with phones, the boss said nothing. Me on the microphone, went up to this bird fooling with her phone...

" Are you trying to phone me" ?...........It did cause a laugh......:lol:

What was she trying to say? I know "please don't sing".:guitar:

Edited by possum1931
Adding a few words.

5 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Spending a few weeks in P'pinnes. many restaurants and bars are pretty strict about the staff not using mobile phones. I think in generl the service here is better than in Thailand but not sure if that is down to 'attitude' or smart phone use!

Some good observations about book and newspaper readers in the past. Broadsheet newspapers being read on crowded trains was ridiculous and far more anti social than smart phone use. Book readers could get so engrossed that you couldn't get their attention for hours or even days!  A Western wife or partner going to bed reading a book, what could be worse?

Agree (even though I came to dislike many Filipinos after a 5 week holiday) and was never bothered by my husband reading a book (or at least a page of a book....) as it helped him sleep.  There are far worse things than reading a book in bed - snoring for example....

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

Rather nice little Bistro just opened close to us. We went in. Before we got menus we were given a small card with there WiFi password. I'm old school. If I'm going to drop two or three grand for a nice meal. I either don't bring my phone or turn it off.

"two or three grand for a nice meal ??" You must have had a few friends with you, hope they paid their share.

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Agree (even though I came to dislike many Filipinos after a 5 week holiday) and was never bothered by my husband reading a book (or at least a page of a book....) as it helped him sleep.  There are far worse things than reading a book in bed - snoring for example....

We are all different which is good. I could sleep through any lady snoring but i couldn't sleep while they had the light on sat up reading a book. Anti social in my opinion, more so than a smart phone where at least your partner will probably want to engage with you and show you all the food they have eaten and the latest selfies.