Almost 10,000 migrants rescued in Strait of Sicily in two days

webfact

Almost 10,000 migrants rescued in Strait of Sicily in two days

606x341_342645.jpg

ROME: -- Around 3,000 migrants were rescued in the Strait of Sicily on Tuesday, in 30 separate missions.

It brings the total to almost 10,000 in two days, marking a sharp hike in refugee arrivals in Italy.

More than 100,000 migrants have reached the country by boat so far this year, many of them setting setting sail from Libya. Some have lost their lives during the journey.

The latest to be rescued were packed on board dozens of boats, a lot of them in rubber dinghies, struggling to stay upright in the high seas. Good weather conditions have seen more setting sail.

Italy has been on the front line of Europe’s migrant crisis for three years, a target for those fleeing violence and poverty at home.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-31

Several months ago, a friend has to jump through many hoops and fill countless applications and pay money for a tourist visa to Italy, that friend could have just joined those illegals and save herself all the hassle......

These are normal numbers, this scale of immigration can be seen all along the north Med coast as the Africans that Merkel invited to Europe arrive. Funny to think that yesterday we read that only 300,000 would arrive this YEAR. We will get more than that this WEEK. In previous posts I despaired of the plan to use European navy ships to collect migrants setting off from the African coast - seems I was very right to be concerned.

14 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Several months ago, a friend has to jump through many hoops and fill countless applications and pay money for a tourist visa to Italy, that friend could have just joined those illegals and save herself all the hassle......

Whichever dimwit came up with the 2 tier immigration rules needs a kick up the backside. One rule for all is fair - one rule for working productive citizens and no rules at all for free-loaders is IMO rather unfair and could possibly lead to feelings of resentment.

1 hour ago, Credo said:

I presume that they put them on one of those express trains for Germany?

Only Syrians, Eritreans and Iraqis qualify for the relocation program, meaning the bulk of migrants reaching Italy, many from West Africa, are not be eligible for relocation. According to latest data, some 3,915 Eritreans, 787 Syrians and 686 Iraqis reached Italy in the first seven months of 2016.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-italy-germany-idUSKCN10Y14H

Having "rescued" them, where are they taken? To Italy, which is where they were heading in the first place. And from there?

A vast majority start their sea journey from Libya, who is doing nothing to curtail the boats.

Perhaps by returning them to their point of origin, by the next available transportation, will get the message to others, it is not worth the effort or the extortionate amounts they pay the "agents"

Patrol only the shoreline.  Any boats which have problems, that is their problem. If they approach near the European shore, then package them and ferry them back to any port in Libya or Morocco. Pay the Libyan and or Moroccan government $200 each for accepting them.  They will gladly accept it.

5 hours ago, jaidam said:

These are normal numbers, this scale of immigration can be seen all along the north Med coast as the Africans that Merkel invited to Europe arrive. Funny to think that yesterday we read that only 300,000 would arrive this YEAR. We will get more than that this WEEK. In previous posts I despaired of the plan to use European navy ships to collect migrants setting off from the African coast - seems I was very right to be concerned.

yes according to some of the TV reports, the Italian navy is now patrolling close to the Libyan coast waiting to "save" the migrants as they set off from the Libyan coast, then transporting them safely across to Lampedusa free of charge. How kind. Maybe the migrants no longer need to pay the smugglers - they can just swim out to an Italian ship.

8 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

And they will keep coming, more and more while they no none are being sent back or punished for illegal entry.

But the politicians simply won't accept that simple fact.

Yep, turn the boats around and point them back to North Africa

I've just come back from Italy holiday, first time I have been there in about 15 years, and could not believe the difference. Every city now seems to have large groups of African men congregating at every train station. I would not be happy if I lived in Italy.