Smoking on Baht Buses.

sharecropper

A post flaming another member has been removed did you not see this rule when you signed up to Thai Visa?

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This is about baht buses, not motorbikes.

It's interesting every time there is a baht bus thread people post get a private vehicle.

When there is news (sadly very often) of bike accidents and deaths, funny thing is people don't post ... idiots! ... should have used the baht buses and they'd be alive!

Get the point? 

If you actually read my post you will realize that I only proffered the motorbike as an alternative to not being exposed to things that might offend your delicate sensibilities.    Otherwise unenforced laws or illegalities in any major city in Thailand my drive you mad.

14 hours ago, smotherb said:

Have you been going off half-cocked for very long? Where did you see I said I smoke? I do not smoke. I simply asked if saving a few baht was worth the bull of a baht bus. Apparently it is for you, but it is not for me. My life, time, and convenience is more valuable to me. That's why I take my own vehicle or a taxi.

Good for you then (assuming we can believe you - LOTS of self-described "non-smokers" or "ex-smokers" very strangely apologizing for smokers and demonizing everything anti-smoking on TVF...).  OK, So change the pronoun to "they".  Same difference.  But the fact that you give non-smokers such insane advice doesn't make it any less lunatic.  You know, I've never seen an even marginally roadworthy vehicle larger than a skateboard for only "a few baht".  (Please tell us where you found yours.)   And taxis in Pattaya for a "a few baht"?!  Yeah, riiiiiiiight.  Finally, to tell the truth, I'm not sure which is the more risky in Thailand, smoking or driving one's own vehicle.  The simple truth is that smokers fouling the air everyone has to breathe with their filth should accommodate non-smokers; NOT the other way 'round! 

for the people who do not have the means to check the facts and do not have the decency

to have a smoke away from none smokers, and think it is ok to inflict not just smoke

but a myriad of chemicals into the air that we all have to breathe.

if you want to smoke that is fine it is not illegal it is just illegal to do it when in the same area

as people who do not want to smoke. 

wikipedia’s list of country by country world smoking bans explains Thailand’s first anti-smoking laws and later updates;

Indoor smoking restrictions have been in effect in all indoor air-conditioned establishments throughout Thailand since November 2002, with entertainment areas exempted. Cigarettes have had graphic pictures since 2005, and advertising is banned. Enforcement and compliance have been strong.

On 10 January 2008, Thailand announced further restrictions that came into force on 10 February 2008, in that smoking would be banned (indoors and outdoors) in establishments open to the public, including restaurants, bars, and open-air markets. Members of the public face a 2,000 baht fine for not complying, and establishments face a 20,000 baht fine for not enforcing the ban (including not displaying mandated ‘no smoking’ signs). In addition to fines, those who fail to comply may be arrested. Most legal bars comply with these regulations, but in establishments that operate illegally or semi-legally they are mostly disregarded.

31 minutes ago, zoza said:

for the people who do not have the means to check the facts and do not have the decency

to have a smoke away from none smokers, and think it is ok to inflict not just smoke

but a myriad of chemicals into the air that we all have to breathe.

if you want to smoke that is fine it is not illegal it is just illegal to do it when in the same area

as people who do not want to smoke. 

wikipedia’s list of country by country world smoking bans explains Thailand’s first anti-smoking laws and later updates;

Indoor smoking restrictions have been in effect in all indoor air-conditioned establishments throughout Thailand since November 2002, with entertainment areas exempted. Cigarettes have had graphic pictures since 2005, and advertising is banned. Enforcement and compliance have been strong.

On 10 January 2008, Thailand announced further restrictions that came into force on 10 February 2008, in that smoking would be banned (indoors and outdoors) in establishments open to the public, including restaurants, bars, and open-air markets. Members of the public face a 2,000 baht fine for not complying, and establishments face a 20,000 baht fine for not enforcing the ban (including not displaying mandated ‘no smoking’ signs). In addition to fines, those who fail to comply may be arrested. Most legal bars comply with these regulations, but in establishments that operate illegally or semi-legally they are mostly disregarded.

"including restaurants, bars, and open-air markets."

I must remember that when walking around Thapprasit Market with the fat, <deleted> Russian <deleted> smoking around there too.

Edited by Rimmer

11 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Good for you then (assuming we can believe you - LOTS of self-described "non-smokers" or "ex-smokers" very strangely apologizing for smokers and demonizing everything anti-smoking on TVF...).  OK, So change the pronoun to "they".  Same difference.  But the fact that you give non-smokers such insane advice doesn't make it any less lunatic.  You know, I've never seen an even marginally roadworthy vehicle larger than a skateboard for only "a few baht".  (Please tell us where you found yours.)   And taxis in Pattaya for a "a few baht"?!  Yeah, riiiiiiiight.  Finally, to tell the truth, I'm not sure which is the more risky in Thailand, smoking or driving one's own vehicle.  The simple truth is that smokers fouling the air everyone has to breathe with their filth should accommodate non-smokers; NOT the other way 'round! 

I have no reason to apologize; you are the one to jump to conclusions and suggest I may be lying. Having your own transport frees you--you can go wherever you want whenever you want; no longer having to wait for someone else and not having to put up with someone else and their hassles. As I said, my time and convenience is important to me; more important than a few baht--you can buy decent used scooters for B15k, or less and used cars for B150k, or less. If you are living on a shoestring; a decent used bicycle can be had for B500 or less. 

Legally, smoking on Song Taews is NOT permitted. In reality, it happens all the time. I let it go, but have a friend who in no uncertain terms tells them...PUT IT OUT. Works every time! Thus far anyway...

Anti-smoking legislation article 2012:

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/54003/pattaya-begins-enforcement-thailands-anti-smoking-laws/

On 9/3/2016 at 8:32 PM, wpcoe said:

Don't you just love it when a rational thread goes so totally off the rails?  :whistling:

I always thought the idea of forums such as this was to generate a dialogue between the posters. If the posters want to take tangents, what is the problem? If the tangent is not popular, it will not last.

Who says you can't learn anything from Thai Visa except how to moan and troll?

Today on my way back from town, 2 Indians get on my baht bus, and sit opposite me. One of them's smoking,

"You can't smoke in here. It's public transport. It's Illegal." I said.

He responded with a smile that either said "I don't understand you" or "I do understand you, but I don't give a ****."

So I removed my sunglasses so he could see my eyes and repeated my comments, pointing at his cigarette, at which point his mate translated and he threw it out.

Then I said "Littering's illegal" (No I didn't. I was happy he'd got rid of it...)

23 hours ago, sharecropper said:

Who says you can't learn anything from Thai Visa except how to moan and troll?

Today on my way back from town, 2 Indians get on my baht bus, and sit opposite me. One of them's smoking,

"You can't smoke in here. It's public transport. It's Illegal." I said.

He responded with a smile that either said "I don't understand you" or "I do understand you, but I don't give a ****."

So I removed my sunglasses so he could see my eyes and repeated my comments, pointing at his cigarette, at which point his mate translated and he threw it out.

Then I said "Littering's illegal" (No I didn't. I was happy he'd got rid of it...)

With the increase of Indian , Chinese people coming to Pattaya

smoking on the baht bus system will increase as well.

Are you going to let this wind you up every time you go to town.

I think you will be  having more confrontations over the coming years

and they may not end so well, each time.

is it worth it ?

Edited by onemorechang