webfact

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, denkiblue555 said:

Next this guy will be after Suvarnabhumi Airport!

Those sneaky, pesky, foreign designers....

Yes, seems it was designed by Helmut Jahn of Murphy / Jahn Architects. :cheesy:

Edited by RBOP
grammar

Just now, haroldc said:

This is all nonsense.  A foreigner cannot work as an architect in Thailand, There is no law that says architectural services cannot be purchased from a non-Thai person or company if those services are performed outside of Thailand.

I am going to guess with a project like this the architect would have been on the site once or twice.

If the law was broken for the building`s design then I wonder what other forms of corruption were involved with this. Cut backs on safety standards, inferior building materials, lack of fire alarms and fire escapes and many other features that do not meet approved standards.

Probably the same with many other high rise buildings in Thailand, including hotels and offices. Could be another towering inferno waiting to happen.

Just now, cyberfarang said:

If the law was broken for the building`s design then I wonder what other forms of corruption were involved with this. Cut backs on safety standards, inferior building materials, lack of fire alarms and fire escapes and many other features that do not meet approved standards.

Probably the same with many other high rise buildings in Thailand, including hotels and offices. Could be another towering inferno waiting to happen.

So far the only law allegedly broken is the fact the architect has opposable thumbs. 

Nice one !

While Khun Srisuwan has his pen out he better start making a complaint about Magnolia Waterfront which will overtake MahaNakhon as the tallest building in 2 years.

MW was designed by that well known Thai company Norman Foster Associates, based in the Bangkok suburb of London. Are they going to tear that one down as well ? Another example of Thai joined up thinking.  :clap2:

1 hour ago, CanInBKK said:

I think you missed the point of the news article which pertains to a foreigner doing a restricted job in Thailand. It has nothing to with invention, design or import of goods into the Kingdom - that is dealt with by customs and duties (of which this article is not related to at all).

If you're saying that Thais shouldn't use iPhones because they were designed in the US and produced in China, you're even more backwards than the labor law in question.

Thanks for the insult. Please refrain from personal attacks on the forum. 

Actually my post was humor and a sarcastic projection of the thinking behind preventing non Thais from working in Thailand. I was well aware my examples were not "job" related.   

Six "likes" and counting. I guess they got the joke.

Oh, and I forgot to list the electrical grid. Somebody go out and shut that down too. 

The Architectural company that designed Maha Nakhon, Buro OS, is a bona fide in Thailand.....the Managing Director, Jaturon Kingminghae, is Thai and has been with the company since 2012.

There is absolutely no chance that Ole Sheeren, the proprietor of Buro OS would have done one tiny thing out of line.

This is a very professional organisation globally...

For K. Srisuwan to make such outrageous claims is completely infantile.....and moreover, the journalists, for such "in the face" headlines, should have done a simple 10 minutes in front of their PCs (if in fact they know how to turn them on) and do some research......but of course, it Thailand, print rubbish and call it a scoop!

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Thanks for the insult. Please refrain from personal attacks on the forum. 

Actually my post was humor and a sarcastic projection of the thinking behind preventing non Thais from working in Thailand. I was well aware my examples were not "job" related.   

Six "likes" and counting. I guess they got the joke.

Oh, and I forgot to list the electrical grid. Somebody go out and shut that down too. 

You quantify the value of your opinion on the number of "likes" you have on a virtual forum? That's sad and unfortunate.

All you have to do to get lots of likes on this board is to make a post that bashes Thai way of thinking or some Thai law that doesn't jive with your laws "back home" and the "likes" will come flooding in. Its the same on any virtual forum including Facebook which is why "likes" are practically meaningless.

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

There are probably dozens of buildings in Thailand designed by foreign architects. I pointed out in another thread (there really are too many!) that the Magnolias Waterfront, which will be around the same size as this one, has Lord Norman Foster's company as architects.

Thailand really does need to enter the real world as this type of xenophobia is exacerbating an already tarnished image.

Bangkok's new(ish) airport was also designed by a German. Where was our protester then? 

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Demolish it and save face

From looking at the picture I would say its starting to fall down already. If the governor of Bangkok was involved well it could explain why he is on a unpaid hiatus. Having lived all these years I find that these ridiculously designed buildings reaching for the stars appear just before the financial dung hits the fan. It always seems to turn into this kind of blow off much like my penis is bigger than yours. Just another example of why women are the better species. 

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

That's nonsense.
The designer can work from home in Europe and create the plans.
The investor buys then only the blueprints.

With that logic, should, for example, not a single computer program run here.
All are designed by foreigners and are used in Thailand.

What about cars?

What about the factories building the cars?

What about rolling stock on the railways?

What about machines for nearly everything?

And so on.......

All designed outside Thailand, but used and built in Thailand.

28 minutes ago, Petchou said:

Funny. This law is in place in USA, in England, France.... If you are working without permit and appropriate visa you can be arrested, jailed etc....
Why double standards?
Foreign engineers, doctors etc... Are not allowed to practice in most western countries. This is a fact. Why this farangs entitlement attitude?
Wake up, get a brain.

Yea, there are no foreigners working in Western hospitals. Please visit the west sometime and you might have your mind broadened about how foreigners certainly do work in the west.