Civil society groups protest against “Smashed” programme in front of British embassy

webfact

Civil society groups protest against “Smashed” programme

958_Civil-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- About 40 members of a network of anti-liquor organizations staged a brief rally in front of the British embassy on Thursday to protest against a joint effort by the embassy and a major liquor importer to stage activities to create positive attitude toward alcoholic drinks among Thai youths.

A protest note was later handed over to an embassy staff before the protesters dispersed.

Mr Kamron Chudecha, coordinator of the civil society groups, pointed out that similar activities undertaken the “Smashed” programme had been done before in several countries with liquor companies being the main sponsors.

Of late, the Office of Basic Education Commission launched the “Smashed” programme in cooperation with the British embassy and the Foundation to Solve Alcoholic Drinks purportedly to encourage youths to stay away from alcoholic drinks.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/civil-society-groups-protest-smashed-programme/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-02

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wait...

'Smashed' is an alcohol education and awareness programme supported by Diageo in the UK. which was delivered in 71 schools and reached14,059 students aged 12-14 in 2014.

Schools receive a package including a live theatre performance, interactive workshop, teaching materials, and evaluation, and the programme educates students on the facts about alcohol, explores the causes and consequences of alcohol misuse, and helps students tackle peer pressure and make informed choices. Since Diageo started supporting the programme, over 225,000 young people have seen Smashed in over 1,150 schools across the country. After viewing one of the performances, UK Member of Parliament, Mark Hunter, said: “‘Smashed’ is a creative and innovative way of engaging teenage audiences on the potentially dangerous result of alcohol abuse.  I thought Collingwood Learning’s production was both well considered and hard-hitting, making a really profound impact on the pupils during the production and in the workshops afterwards.”

An evaluation of the impact of Smashed produced in April 2014 by Collingwood Learning (an organization dedicated to providing creative education, training, and communications projects) can be found here: www.collingwoodlearning.com/smashed.

The report found that 90.1% of the students who attended said they learnt more about the risks of alcohol misuse, 88% said they know who to talk to about alcohol, and 81% said they will avoid alcohol misuse now or in the future. As one student said: "I learned that avoiding alcohol misuse is always the right choice."

And these people are protesting against it?!?

:facepalm:

I remember the local recovered alcoholic coming to our school to warn us of the dangers of drugs. 

All I heard was the part about going to the parties, getting so drunk he couldn't walk. Driving around with all his mates, listening to loud music whilst drunk. Getting arrested for falling down drunk in public. 

I thought " wow, I want to do that, what fun " and I did do it. And I did have fun lol.

42 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

Wait...

And these people are protesting against it?!?

:facepalm:

Are you daring to suggest Thai alcohol can be misused? 

Clearly fearmongering by counter revolutionary elements seeking to undermine the state...

22 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

We don't need no education!

Small correction:  We won't supply no education!  

They certainly need the education.  It's just not available.  

28 minutes ago, CelticBhoy said:

Get the protests at the Embassy in quickly as it will be a shopping mall soon   :P

They are just lucky the moneygrabbing ba$tard$ didn't charge them a £117 handling fee like they would have with us...

Edited by baboon

How about educating the two British families that live on my street first? These people party two or three times a week in their front yards, keep the whole neighborhood up until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning and despite numerous requests to keep the noise down, they refuse to do so. We've never once had a problem with the Thais that live on our street who comprise about 80% of the people that live on the street. 

Is it me or do Thai's just love going too foreign embassy's to protest for just about anything,,,,  

Right that's it, white devil white devil, my ice-creame is to cold, who invented ice-cream and where is their embassy?

Yo people the world is not against you,  there's no evil plot...  get a _____  life.  You have a problem with youth drinking,  go and protest them.

57 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I remember the local recovered alcoholic coming to our school to warn us of the dangers of drugs. 

All I heard was the part about going to the parties, getting so drunk he couldn't walk. Driving around with all his mates, listening to loud music whilst drunk. Getting arrested for falling down drunk in public. 

I thought " wow, I want to do that, what fun " and I did do it. And I did have fun lol.

Yahh! me too....:cheesy:

But seriously, what they are protesting against is the fact that some **deleted*** foreigners come here and are saying Thailand may have a problem with youth drinking alcohol. Which of course is not true as all Thai youth are so pure and super duper and **deleted*** home and educate your own **deleted*** youth and stay away from our youth....

Edited by AlQaholic

54 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Reminds me of the Dave Chappelle show back in the day when Tyrone Biggums the crack addict went to the local junior school to tell the kids about the danger of drugs and ended up regaling them  with stories of how his favourite cartoon characters appeared for a jam session when he was high ?

Edited by mca

44 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

we will never understand thainess

Neither will the Thais.

"Understand" implies a strong element of rational thinking.

Thainess has very little if any rational content.

You can emotionally connect to Thainess...but you can't understand it.

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

Thailand once tried an experiment to change from its traditional rote learning education method, to critical thinking method. A good idea.

It failed, because of awful implementation. Their teachers, management and systems were not prepared. Therefore the dinosaur stuck in the muds said this new fangled critical thinking ain't wot it's cracked up to be.

Now, apply to your story.

Edited by BlindMagician
Auto checker goes too far

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Are you daring to suggest Thai alcohol can be misused? 

Clearly fearmongering by counter revolutionary elements seeking to undermine the state...

I agree its all linked to the Brits not supporting the fabulous junta and now trying to corrupt the Thais with alcohol. Thais who themselves almost never drink and who's own alcohol producers never air any commercials or put sexy girls on stage to serve beer.

So they should drive out the Brits for trying to corrupt the Thais and as punishment make them drink their own alcohol. 

:cheesy:

What a stupid action I can see people campaigning against alcohol as its a bad drug and causes a lot of harm in Thailand (though I believe everyone should be able to consume the drug they like as long as they dont harm others). But I accept people campaigning against it.. but they have plenty of own alcohol sellers already.. why pick on the Brits.. sounds like they prefer to go for an easy target.. who knows how their own alcohol producers will respond to this and they have far more influence then the Brits of course.

10 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Surely the Thai way is the best way.

Banning alcohol sales between 2 and 5 in the afternoon is a much better idea than a proper alcohol education program.

Do you honestly believe the alcohol importers that fund those programs don't have arterial motives. Come on be honest with yourself. 

Not saying the 2 to 5 rule is good.. just saying I don't trust people who stand to win to sell alcohol would promote things that could lover the consumption of alcohol.  

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

I think possibly you didn't listen attentively enough, there had to be consequences for his behaviour or else he wouldn't be telling his story at your school.....he would be down in the pub having a whale of a time.

10 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

If its sponsors are alcohol companies then do you really believe that they want sell less alcohol?

Nothing good can come from the alcohol industry teaming up with the government

Well if it's a choice between prohibition, the current situation, and promoting responsible drinking - I know which I'd be promoting if I were in charge (of an alcohol company, an alcohol industry body, an education system, a country).

Do you really think the UK Govt has been hoodwinked by an alcohol company to allow the promotion of uninhibited drinking in schools?

Edited by jamesbrock

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Do you honestly believe the alcohol importers that fund those programs don't have arterial motives. Come on be honest with yourself. 

Not saying the 2 to 5 rule is good.. just saying I don't trust people who stand to win to sell alcohol would promote things that could lover the consumption of alcohol.  

Of course they do and it's a subtle way of promoting their products, especially in a country where advertising alcoholic beverages is extremely restrictive whilst at the same time providing education to the youngsters regarding alcohol misuse.

I see it as a win-win!

2 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Of course they do and it's a subtle way of promoting their products, especially in a country where advertising alcoholic beverages is extremely restrictive whilst at the same time providing education to the youngsters regarding alcohol misuse.

I see it as a win-win!

Good post.

That sounds like a level-headed evaluation of the situation.