credit cards with Lazada

CaptHaddock

I have tried a couple of times to buy with different US credit cards on Lazada, but they were refused in both cases.  Does anyone know if they have a policy of accepting only Thai credit cards?  I use both of those cards routinely for other purchases in Thailand.

I was very happy with Lazada for the couple of years I used them. The last three orders were imported. The first order was never delivered. I always use a US credit card and they promptly credited my credit card. The second one was a package of ten items, one item was delivered. Of course I complained and rather than credit my card, they gave me a credit for the next order. A few days ago I placed another order. I noticed too late that it too was imported. The delivery date was 30 days. I went to use their "simple" order cancellation. I followed the directions exactly and the cancel order doesn't work. It isn't there. I emailed them and got the reply "We are pleased to tell you that we cannot cancel your order". I replied that I am pleased to tell you that you have lost a customer. The email was sent to them the day after I ordered the item. I tried the order cancelation the same day as I mistakenly ordered the item. It appears to be a case of a good company being bought out and going bad.

I don't trust Lazada, but I find that they have products that I can't find elsewhere.  I have made a first order from Aliexpress for products that Lazada was obviously outsourcing to them.  So far, 4 days after making the Aliexpress order I have received one of the products I ordered, which is encouraging since they appear uniformly to give an expected delivery date of 60 days.

Lazada can be good but it depends on the individual sellers, same with Aliexpress, I have bought from both and have good and bad results. I have got orders from overseas from Lazada and they were fine(one was 10,000 baht) but have also had to have a refund when the seller refused to guarantee authenticity, buyer beware is the best policy, check them out as much as possible first and ask questions, remember that overseas cards usually have the ability to charge back too which can upset thai sellers.

Tried US Capital One M/C, only once.  It went through initially, showed as a Pending Xaction, then Lazada sent a message cancelling the order.  

I pushed them for a straight answer, said they would get back to me and of course, they never did.   I seem to recall I was ordering using a Mastercard promotion they had going at the time so end of the day, suspected it had to be a MasterCard from a specific Thai bank, see that quite a bit.  I ended up doing COD and the pending charge fell off CAP1 account a couple days later.

Did you not inform your US bank that there would be a charge originating in Thailand before you tried to purchase?  Credit Cards 101 - purchases in a foreign country trigger the card to block in many situations if the cardholder has not advised the bank ahead of time...

4 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Did you not inform your US bank that there would be a charge originating in Thailand before you tried to purchase?  Credit Cards 101 - purchases in a foreign country trigger the card to block in many situations if the cardholder has not advised the bank ahead of time...

Credit Cards 202 (prereq: CC 101 + actual experience):  I have never informed any of my CC companies that I use the cards in Thailand.  However, my understanding of their fraud detection algorithms is that they flag changes in use, not foreign use per se despite what they tell you.  So, I use the VISA and MC cards only in Thailand and the Amex card only for US transactions.  I have never had a refusal until Lazada refused both my VISA and MC cards which I figure is Lazada, not the CC companies.

I had a issue with a Lazada order a few months ago and called the customer service number.  I was very surprised how quickly the issue was resolved.  The CS rep. spoke English so well that I suspect the English CS is being handled through the Philippines...no Thai accent at all.

I'd suggest anybody with a Lazada problem to try the phone CS first.

• 8 months later...