Briton accused of stealing Thai tourist's bag from temple

snoop1130

Briton accused of stealing Thai tourist's bag from temple

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

BANGKOK — A Briton who was filmed stealing from a Thai tourist in Chiang Mai was arrested Thursday at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Stephen Antonio (transcribed from Thai) denied the allegations, though police said they have evidence he committed the crime at Doi Suthep temple on Wednesday, including security camera footage.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2016/09/02/briton-accused-stealing-thai-tourists-bag-temple/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-09-02

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Winniedapu said:

Hmmm.

Man bites dog, dog no like... not the natural order of things.

Winnie

Of course not.. in the mind of some like its .. Thai bad farang good

I guess where you come from there is no crime at all. 

30 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

A practised thief. I think that a 5-year initial sentence would be appropriate. Watch him confess when he realises that if he doesn't he doesn't get the sentence halved.

Well that seems awfully severe. 

Maybe just 30 days....he could try one of those 30-day fasts to shed those extra pounds.

The British embassy said it will send a representative to be present during police questioning of Antonio, Pitipong said.

Doesn't happen, although they will see the suspect if he's 'theirs'.

I'm curious as to how the authorities knew his ID and were able to stop him, given how often this usually goes undetected?

39 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

A practised thief. I think that a 5-year initial sentence would be appropriate. Watch him confess when he realises that if he doesn't he doesn't get the sentence halved.

What did the granny kickers in Hua Hin get? (suspended sentence?)

And the pickup driver who killed the Argentine cyclist? (500bht fine?)

Because this guy should get less than they did.

I mean why do some white folk hate other white folk so much and want them hung for trivial crimes?

News flash ........ nobody was harmed!

Edited by MissAndry

...the suspect took more than 100,000 baht worth of items and cash from a backpack that belonged to a Thai tourist at the temple.

Oh come on! Who leaves 100,000 baht lying around on a bench. BS. And that commentary on the video. Dramatic, ott, and farang and fat, xenophobic bstds.

Who leaves a bag unattended these days? Oh its a temple, so what! In my opinion the women who left her bag got what she deserved. Stupid is stupid does.

13 minutes ago, SoFarAndNear said:

I am curious. How did police find this guy? 

Thai cops not high tech but lots of manpower if they are ordered out of their bars and hammocks.

Show pic around the hotels and guesthouses. Fatty had probably left town but his passport details can be gleaned from the register. As soon as he shows up at the airport, he is flagged.

13 hours ago, MissAndry said:

What did the granny kickers in Hua Hin get? (suspended sentence?)

And the pickup driver who killed the Argentine cyclist? (500bht fine?)

Because this guy should get less than they did.

I mean why do some white folk hate other white folk so much and want them hung for trivial crimes?

News flash ........ nobody was harmed!

Guess your a Brit and have to make an excuse.. 

I hate thieves, of al nationalities, nobody got hurt is a stupid excuse. Tell me where you live and ill rob you I make sure you don't get hurt. We will call it a trivial crime and be done with it. Alternatively you could also just wire money straight into my account. 

Thieves are scum and deserve prison. 

The person in the video clearly appears to steal. The only questions I have are:

1) Is the video evidence enough to make a unquestionable ID to convict?

2) How is the amount of 100,000 baht verified? And who leaves that much money unattended....anywhere in public?

3) Where is the picture with 8 cops standing behind the arrested person, the loot on display, and the victim  pointing at the perp? 

4) Why is the person's name being transcribed from Thai rather than just supplied to the media directly from his passport?