Thai monk upgrades to millionaire by winning THB6 million from lottery

snoop1130

Thai monk upgrades to millionaire by winning THB6 million from lottery

By Coconuts Bangkok

untitled-1_50.jpg

Photo: Thai News Agency

A 41-year-old monk in the Bangkok outskirts made headlines this morning when he announced that he won first prize in the lottery. But he has raised some controversy as well.

Being a monk is supposed to mean refraining from desire...and money. However, Phra Prawit Techapalo, of Cheepakhao Temple in Samut Sakhon, said he bought multiple lottery tickets every month.

Phra Prawit, who has been a monk for 10 years, interpreted a lucky number from the textures of a teak tree at his temple. This time, his number was 84.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/02/thai-monk-upgrades-millionaire-winning-thb6-million-lottery

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-09-02

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like most religious people I wish he'd read what his religion was all about. Maybe then more people would do away with the selfish and deluded BS and get busy living. 

Hang up those orange robes, boy. You're not a monk and you never were. 

Edited by rkidlad

My Thai partner dragged me a few times to monks who were famous to pick lucky numbers for the people. Went through a short ceremony, payed some cash, never won one baht. I always asked why would the monk not play himself? 

Seems I got the answer now! When they play they win! :lol:

Edited by longtom

As my friend said- never confuse Thai Monks and religion. For a man who is supposed to have no assets how could he have the funds to purchase a ticket in the first place. Hopefully more and more of them will be exposed for the charlatans that they are.

Don't sane normal thai people get pissed off or ashamed with this .??

Although having said the above we moved from Bangkok to the village my mrs had no idea about the different buddha days that seemed  to occur on a weekly basis

When she equired to the neighbours the look of abject horror on their faces was amusing.

Since we are branded Bangkok people but luckily never bothered by temple laypeople and certainly not the monks

Guess there is a few real munks out there,but most of them is useless,lacy pices of shit.Totally up to everything exept working for a living.

We have a 12 year old young boy in the family.A few months ago he was a monk for a month.

When he came back after that he said he have never had so much money in his young life.

Nice religion but I have lost all respect for the munks.

38 minutes ago, JustNo said:

One of the main reasons I came to Thailand back in 2010 was because I already started to study Buddhism, and envisioned this place to be dharma-orientated.. what I shock I received lol

Should have stayed where you were if that's what you were after. Only thing here is the buddhist version of Mammon.

Winnie

I have not copied the first 5 precepts, as I am sure, those of you who live in Thailand or have ever visited the Kingdom have observed them on a daily basis.

The following apply to monks:-

6. Vikalabhojana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

I undertake the precept to refrain from eating at the forbidden time (i.e., after noon).

7. Nacca-gita-vadita-visuka-dassana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

I undertake the precept to refrain from dancing,singing, music, going to see entertainments.

8. Mala-gandha-vilepana-dharana-mandana-vibhusanatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

I undertake the precept to refrain from wearing garlands, using perfumes, and beautifying the body with cosmetics.

9. Uccasayana-mahasayana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

I undertake the precept to refrain from lying on a high or luxurious sleeping place.

10. Jatarupa-rajata-patiggahana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

I undertake the precept to refrain from accepting gold and silver (money).

Please enlighten me where I may observe monks following these precepts.

PS. Willing to travel and pay for own accommodation ;-)

9 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I have not copied the first 5 precepts, as I am sure, those of you who live in Thailand or have ever visited the Kingdom have observed them on a daily basis.

The following apply to monks:-

6. Vikalabhojana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

I undertake the precept to refrain from eating at the forbidden time (i.e., after noon).

7. Nacca-gita-vadita-visuka-dassana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

I undertake the precept to refrain from dancing,singing, music, going to see entertainments.

8. Mala-gandha-vilepana-dharana-mandana-vibhusanatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

I undertake the precept to refrain from wearing garlands, using perfumes, and beautifying the body with cosmetics.

9. Uccasayana-mahasayana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

I undertake the precept to refrain from lying on a high or luxurious sleeping place.

10. Jatarupa-rajata-patiggahana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

I undertake the precept to refrain from accepting gold and silver (money).

Please enlighten me where I may observe monks following these precepts.

PS. Willing to travel and pay for own accommodation ;-)

Erm.

An easier question to answer is where can you observe monks ignoring those precepts. Lots of them around. mostly with someone on their knees in front of them and with a bored look on their faces. Alms my backside, it's money for feelgood.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

8 hours ago, Winniedapu said:

Should have stayed where you were if that's what you were after. Only thing here is the buddhist version of Mammon.

Winnie

Well no the thing is that was one of many reasons why I came, and I am happier now than I ever was back in the West funnily enough. To be a Buddhist you do not have to be surrounded by Buddhists I have realised, and actually it helps your practice if you are not around like minded people because it tests your state of mind.