Where do you stay in Phuket and do you like your area ?

andytyl

Thank you for all the replies.

I have decided and just paid deposit to rent a new town house in koh kaew near British international school.

I am still not very familiar with what koh kaew has in terms of malls and supermarkets but I like the townhouse I saw so much and wanted to stay there. 

Next : due to the location I definitely will need a car for transport. I understand from reading a few post buying a 2nd car and driving down to phuket is worth it because it is alot cheaper in bkk. Will I face any issue driving a bkk plate in phuket?

Anyone has similar experience ?

• 4 weeks later...

Living in nanai rd, Patong. got everything within 5 min radius so I think it is great here. These last 2 years there has been a bunch of upgrades and rebuilds of businesses and housing alike. Unused space being put to good use is also refreshing. It is really starting to shape up :)

I agree with previous posts about Rawai, though, it is a great place with a real western feel to it with all the major outlets. There too you have all the neccessities near the beach which, presumably, is what tickles a fancy for most.

Depends what your requirements are, most people start their life here in Patong and Kathu but soon decide to live elsewhere

People with business interests tend to live close to them but retired expats mostly live in Kamala, Kata/Karon and chalong/rawai areas

To me shopping is not involved in my choice of area to live in because no matter where you live you are no more than 30 minutes from a major shopping center

I prefer Rawai because you have everything there and once south of Chalong circle there is less traffic and everything is easy to get to, second choice would be Kata/karon

Khao Lak is nice but lacks infrastructure but has excellent beaches and plenty of restaurants but not many bars if that's your  interest

47 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

In 1996 Nanai 2 was not a dirt road.  No idea where 3 and 4 might have been at that time. 

Wasn't it in 1994 when they also made Rat-U-Thit road.

If i remeber correct it was in 08/1994 that i sunk my first car here while they made Rat-U-Thit in rainy season and complete stretch was like a big river for some days.

By the way the last 10 years i prefer Thalang and Phuket Town for living.

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

In 1996 Nanai 2 was not a dirt road.  No idea where 3 and 4 might have been at that time. 

If you drove around the left hand bend and all the way to the end there was a dirt track on N2!

1 hour ago, beechbum said:

If you drove around the left hand bend and all the way to the end there was a dirt track on N2!

Yes, but at that time a narrow track only used by pedestrians and m/bikes. Not used by 4 wheel vehicle.

These days not used at all as a wall has been built along the new road and there is no easy exit.

53 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

There was a dirt road that ran from Ratutit to Nanai. It started where Jungceylon is now. There was a market and a few Thai style Karaoke bars. Only foot and motorbike traffic.

Remember it well, used to walk from Nanai down to the wood fired pizza place, before it had to move when Jungceylon planned. Now soi Banzai. Now that was a dirt road that was terrible for traffic when it rained. Many a bike stuck.